Gransnet forums

House and home

White walls in homes

(66 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Feb-20 12:37:37

Just love the trend of white walls everywhere in all rooms that has been around for a while. Really opens up the house, fresh bright and welcoming, obviously not to everyone’s taste, what do others think,

Theoddbird Tue 25-Feb-20 12:07:46

The interior of my narrow boat home is painted white...but it is full of colour from books to curtains to cushions. White is a backdrop for any colour you want to use. It reflects light and brightens any space.

Moggycuddler Tue 25-Feb-20 12:28:07

Wouldn't like white but I do like light, pastel colours. Some colour though - very soft peach or pastel lilac/blue/green. And white doors. Never dark colours for me. But our house is quite small and a bit shadowy.

Alexa Tue 25-Feb-20 12:35:23

Mostly magnolia or white at my little place. I like both of those. If I were getting a whole room painted I'd be very tempted to choose pale sky blue instead.

I very much dislike fuchsia and clerical grey.

Rosina Tue 25-Feb-20 13:02:30

My homes have aways been completely white - colour comes from rugs, books, paintings, curtains, cushions, which look fantastic set against the bright white of the walls.
There is nothing to beat waking up in a white room with the sun striking the walls - spirits are lifted at once.

BusterTank Tue 25-Feb-20 13:21:17

All white is bit clinical for me . You know what they say about people with no colour in there house , they have no imagination . My mother in laws house is all magnolia and her house seems so depressing . If we were all the same it would be a boring world .

Musicgirl Tue 25-Feb-20 13:44:37

I'm not keen on white, it's too sterile for me and l don't like grey either because it is cold and depressing in my opinion. I have never liked feature walls or wallpaper - l must be very hard to please. I prefer a neutral colour on the walls and the soft peach we have and are about to redecorate give a little warmth to the rooms. I find accessories like curtains and cushions can be darker (l like burgundy) and pictures and mirrors add definition.

glammanana Tue 25-Feb-20 13:44:51

At the moment my lounge walls and bedroom is cream as someone suggested it looked warmer than white but I have never been happy with it and am changing back to white as soon as my decorator friend can fit me in to do the job.
I like the clean lines I get from white which fits in well with my furniture choice.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 25-Feb-20 13:54:19

Brilliant white on ceilings and woodwork. Pale colours elsewhere. White everywhere was the fashion in the seventies but dh always said it looked cold. Have to agree but recently have used marshmallow snow (Sanderson) everywhere with brilliant white on woodwork etc. What is interesting is that each room looks a slightly different shade. It’s all about the light.

Kartush Tue 25-Feb-20 14:18:22

Im not fussed on bright white. My whole house at the moment is painted pale cream with sort of dusky rose trims and white ceilings. It was this colour when we bought it and I didn’t think it would grow on me but it did and now husband and I both love it

merlotgran Tue 25-Feb-20 14:24:56

You know what they say about people with no colour in there house , they have no imagination.

Who said that?

How very dare they! grin

Annaram1 Tue 25-Feb-20 15:26:33

Everything used to be magnolia, the fashion at the time. We had a small ground floor flat ln Vancouver once. When we bought it all the walls were a greyish pink. We painted them all white. The place looked so much better and bigger. There were actually 30 different shades of white on the colour chart. We chose cloud white.

Juicylucy Tue 25-Feb-20 15:31:56

Never had white walls always thought it would look to clinical like a hospital.

GrannyLaine Tue 25-Feb-20 15:33:32

I love the look of light painted walls but not bright white in most circumstances. I prefer the 'mucky' whites from the Farrow & Ball shade chart.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 15:36:09

We have white walls in the living room with a feature wall and I hate it. I hadn’t thought about how the light would affect it - it’s a north facing room and it just looks cold. When I get round to repainting it I’ll shed no tears for the loss of my white walls.

Tedd1 Tue 25-Feb-20 15:36:51

We have been in a small new house for two years. The walls are white, we wouldn't have chosen it but really like it. Carpets and flooring are gray. We are due to paint some of the rooms soon and have decided to stick with white! Who would have thought it!

GrannySomerset Tue 25-Feb-20 15:47:20

Our first house (1963) was very small and all white inside and I thought we were the last word in modern decor. Since then have lived in three Victorian houses and two late 20th century houses, and used colour differently in each of them. Definitely like plain painted walls rather then paper now as a background for pictures and other artwork/junk. Current kitchen has grey (warm cement) walls except for the long wall opposite the windows which is teal/kingfisher (see thread in colour names) which picks up the glass tiling. Units are grey. Much admired by young relatives so must be doing something right!

Dareyouto Tue 25-Feb-20 15:55:34

I read a few years ago that the colour of Almost Oyster (a pale taupe) by Dulux was their most popular shade of paint for walls. Due to age/illness it has taken a while but I have done the whole house in that colour and I just love the way the colour changes depending on the light in each room. I am continually being asked what colour it is. During this time I have mostly chosen white accessories and soft furnishings (some in a darker taupe/mink) to contrast and I absolutely love how warm and modern it looks. I will be moving on some time soon but I already know what colour my new home’s walls will be!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 25-Feb-20 16:00:20

Matter of choice but going for pastels much easier to cover (when you get tired of them ) than the likes of burnt orange 'eek'/f'lamingo pink? 'more eek and many other in your face colours .

Davida1968 Tue 25-Feb-20 16:01:11

Our home has walls painted in a very soft lemon - almost a "lemon white". With white woodwork. In winter this gives the rooms a slightly "warm" feel and (IMO) is less "chilly" than 100% pure white. In summer it feels somewhat "Mediterranean ". So (for us) it's a colour scheme for all seasons.

SpringyChicken Tue 25-Feb-20 16:11:11

Next door has an all white interior - brilliant white matt. It looks stark, perhaps would have been better in shades of 'almost white', which would have been warmer.

Noni Tue 25-Feb-20 16:25:28

I have off white everywhere pretty much. Love it. There are so many slight variations on white now, mine is a Farrow and Ball colour called pointing, which has been colour matched to a Deluxe paint. It is great. I would highly recommend it.

dragonfly46 Tue 25-Feb-20 16:28:35

I love white walls. We paid the builders extra to have white everywhere instead of magnolia and we have kept them for the last 20 years.

Saggi Tue 25-Feb-20 16:34:23

My daughters just moved into a new house....white walls everywhere.... my house has very pale grey walls everywhere....think I prefer mine. But can see the appeal of the ‘touch up’ when a scuff appears from nowhere.

4allweknow Tue 25-Feb-20 17:09:28

Had all white for a good number of years now. Last moved 10 years ago and all walls were white. Decided I would like a small change and went for Jasmine white. After two years felt it looked grubby,, everything back to white again.

Flygirl Tue 25-Feb-20 17:22:43

Witzend I agree....we have used Timeless on our walls, and in some rooms (and below a dado rail) we have accented with Dulux Polished Pebble, a lovely, light soft grey. Gloss and ceilings, brilliant white. Loojs very fresh.
However, daughter has just painted her entire house brilliant white, with one accent wall in each room a mid- grey (B&Q Brooklyn) and it looks really great, fresh, clean and dramatic.