Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me, house buying and selling stress. Part 4

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Sun 15-Mar-20 12:56:00

Links to the first three threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1271200-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-3

thread number 4

Shandy57 Mon 16-Mar-20 16:35:36

Just had a call to say the live auction is cancelled ?, will be live on line instead.

Whiff Mon 16-Mar-20 17:05:20

Thanks for info. I won't be flushing anything down the loo but toilet paper.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 16-Mar-20 17:18:52

Shandy good news that it’s going ahead, serious bidders will be ready!

Make sure you have set your reserve price.

Good luck

Ellianne Mon 16-Mar-20 17:19:33

That isn't any great surprise Shandy given the latest news but at least it is still going ahead.

Grammaretto Mon 16-Mar-20 17:22:04

Fingers crossed Shandy it won't make a difference to the serious buyer(s). you only need one!

craftyone Mon 16-Mar-20 18:03:48

That is much better shandy, it will keep the nosey ones out of clogging up the auction room and will ensure that the worried and over 70s could get involved

Did anyone else see the news conference on sky at 4.45? there will be a daily update fro now on. It was very informative and calm. Everything has gone up a gear and london is way ahead of the rest of the uk. Good news for shandy with an empty house, ready and waiting for a panicked millionaire family

Ellianne Mon 16-Mar-20 19:13:29

Yes, I thought the news conference was informative because it gave the real experts a chance to speak at length. If we can't believe them, then who can we believe?
I'm not sure that the idea of Londoners flocking to other parts sounds very responsible though undoubtedly many city dwellers will be heading to the coast or the countryside during the Easter break. I'm guessing that is when the big spreading of the virus will start.

Shandy57 Mon 16-Mar-20 20:04:25

Evening all, it's all so very very serious isn't it. My daughter has just phoned, I think you know she works at a theatre.

As BJ said people should avoid unnecessary social interaction ie pubs, restaurants, theatres etc, her theatre have already acted on it and sent her a text earlier saying they are closing tomorrow and she is not required for a month. She is still on probation and doesn't get sick pay - as the government haven't ordered them to close, just suggested people don't go there, she is unsure if she will receive any pay at all. Her flatmate is also being laid off and having to go home. My daughter's best friend who has a flat near her in town is coming back to Northumberland to work at home. My daughter's boyfriend works in a school, which is closed, so also won't have any money coming in. My daughter was also so very excited that her play was chosen for a prestigious festival in Leeds in April - cancelled.

She's asked me to self isolate and to be very careful. She said if she comes home, she'd like to help people who are self isolating without any support. Hey, that's me!

craftyone Mon 16-Mar-20 20:10:46

my niece has just sold her large house in a village by here in the country to a family from london. He works in a bank and they want to flee london before lockdown. He has paid cash and says that there are many others who want to get out of london. Its a possiblity these days with internet and ability to work from home

I have just had a very long conversation with a friend who is dying from cancer and then one with her husband, she has a big decision to make and is being torn by family. Was a difficult phone call but I helped her and her husband come to a decision. I am hoping they have peace of mind now, before the next step. Its a terribly bad time to be so ill and likely to need a ventilator. Its draining

Shandy57 Mon 16-Mar-20 23:51:17

Thanks for telling me about your niece craftyone, I do hope there is a buyer out there for my house, eventually! No survey requests, so I don't think it is going to sell this time, sadly. Several people have made positive comments about the house on the auction house facebook page.

I am terribly sorry about your friend, I am glad you were able to help her reach her decision, I hope she can relax and sleep peacefully tonight. Now she has decided I hope she can get the care she needs.

I do think self sufficiency will be in the forefront of people's minds whilst self isolating. My husband's family would not have made it through the war without his Dad's allotment, although my husband wouldn't ever touch rhubarb as an adult! He also couldn't bear runner beans smile

Someone has started a facebook community page for our village, to help people who need it.

I wonder how many other parents are expecting their adult children to move back home because they are suddenly without any income and can't afford to pay their rent.

My daughter luckily has got savings to fall back on, and will be phoning me tomorrow to let me know what she is doing with her unexpected month off. I'd rather she wasn't alone in the rented house if she becomes ill, there is only one other girl, and she has to leave as she has definitely lost her job, and cannot pay her rent now. I think there are men there who will be working from home, but she doesn't know them as well. She said if she does come home, she'd like to use her car to shop and deliver for people who need help, so at least I won't have to do the dummy drives to keep her car battery going!

I was shot down on facebook for asking why people are not being offered testing so they can confidently move about if clear - looks like I missed the part of the speech that referred to capacity. I'll happily pay to know I am virus free when it is available.

Franbern, thank you for the heads up about the book - I found it much easier to understand with Anton Lesser! Needs concentration when reading, was pleasant just to sit.

Not sure where the day has gone, it's flown. Sleep well friends.

Whiff Tue 17-Mar-20 06:46:50

Yesterday at the bus stop one of the other passengers told me she had heard on the radio of a woman who had stripped the shelf of loo rolls and when asked by another customer if she could have a pack was told yes if you give me £20. Of course she told her where to stick it.

What surprised me yesterday was none of the stores had sanitiser at the entrances to use before entering. Then again I suppose someone would have pinched it. Heard hospitals and doctors are having sanitiser and loo roll pinched by patients. I have always thought the trouble with today's society is greed seems I'm right.

I am going to my craft group this morning but don't know how long library's will stay open. My sit fit class may be suspended have to text the instructor end of the week to see if it's on.

Hopefully my bubble echo appointment next Friday is still on.

Hope the weather improves at least I could have a go at the garden.

Shandy57 having the auction on line will probably increase the price as people can't see who is bidding fingers crossed not long now.

We'll stay safe everyone.

Ellianne Tue 17-Mar-20 09:50:50

I was just thinking about the auction. If there is a catalogue of houses to sell on the day does that mean you can get an advanced look to check out the competition? Sometimes, on the tv auction programmes, developers go with the intention of buying something, get outbid, then on a whim pick up something else without even viewing it. This could work well.

Whiff Tue 17-Mar-20 12:27:51

Went to craft group. Library hadn't told the organiser that all groups had been suspended. Only me and her. Had a chat . Couldn't even have a cuppa. Went to surgery to take my repeat prescription but it was closed. Went to the chemist they didn't know why they were closed. The assistant was in the queue on the phone to see what was going on. They had my prescription off me . The only thing on the surgery door was Coronavirus guide lines and saying all people with appointments had to phone in. All very strange.

I won't go out again only to get shopping next week. Best if I stay at home and only go out if necessary.

craftyone Tue 17-Mar-20 12:27:59

definitely Ellianne, I think the same. There are many developers and rich people out there and the money won`t make a dent in their fortunes.

I had a w/m problem today, sorted that with instructions over the phone. Nice ladies, I was not expecting anyone to be left in their workplace.

My sisters in aus still don`t get it, the fact that this is so serious in a relatively small country and I don`t think anyone will have a minimalistic food cupboard after this. I am already being cautious about eating, taking just a bit at a time from my stores but the spin off should well be weight loss. The country is grinding to a halt. The parcel people are fantastic, they put whatever into the porch and they go away without ringing

I do hope that the gov has instructed farmers to plough up their oil rapeseed and plant veg otherwise we will be in dire straits later on when the cold stores empty. I did order mini cabbage and mini caulie seeds this week, I can squeeze them into containers

Whiff I do hope your bubble echo goes ahead as planned. My craft classes have stopped now, I had the call this morning. Teacher is in close contact with over 50 people over a week and they all have tea from mugs. He sounded poorly.

Whiff Tue 17-Mar-20 15:00:21

Got through to surgery. The drs took the decision this morning to close to non urgent appointments. You have to phone in and be triaged and either dealt with on the phone or given an appointment. Did the right thing giving the chemist my repeat prescription they will order it for me. My son's surgery is also following the same system. I should check with all your surgeries.

Shandy57 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:48:23

Oh isn't it all awful. I've just come back from the PO and posted my three 'care' parcels - I couldn't get the Crown for my auntie, I bought her Mr Selfridge instead. And three bags of popcorn, four wouldn't fit. She is very reluctant to self isolate and I got a bit cross with her this morning, she was in hospital late last year with pneumonia and is vulnerable.

My daughter is phoning tonight as she may be arriving imminently, but nervous about coming on the train, my son may drive her on Sunday so she can bring more with her.

I wonder if any enterprising souls will start up the 'grocer' type vans that used to drive round the streets in the sixties? I used to go with my Gran and get her potatoes and fruit. It would work if people were told only one customer should come out at a time, so no queuing.

Talking of chemists the girl at Boots nearly burst into tears when I asked for paracetomol. I had to buy max strength cold and flu tablets at Tesco as it does contain paracetomol, and got lucozade and tissues.

Definitely buying a tv on Mother's Day, think I might be watching it a lot!

Stay warm and well xx

craftyone Tue 17-Mar-20 16:56:13

its hard shandy, got to get through this in one healthy piece, all of us. There is life at the other end. This is a massive unique change for those who have not been used to make do and mend. We could all make that casserole from very little but so many youngsters only know how to heat a pizza. They are going to have to learn pdq

My new battery charger came today, it is heavy and I have found a corner in the garage for it. Last service they said I should charge it, all those relatively short trips did not help and the car is one with lights always on, Now the car has a potential 4 months standstill, I made sure I positioned it near the garage and facing it

Keeping some level of exercise is good, I am using my cycle in the living room every other day and making a point of going upstairs quickly. I can imagine people jogging on the spot or doing butterfly jumps. Even lifting tins up and down and side to side will help or we will turn into jellies

I have been buying some things this week. I cannot do without daily yogurt so am back to easy yo and found natural unsweetened. I could do the basic making myself but easy yo is easy. What else have I got in, oh yes 85% chocolate, I need a small piece every day and I received a very small proper sauerkraut pot. I used to have a big pot with a water moat but far too big for one. This one is perfect for one, hence me growing small cabbages. I have pop up cages still so can keep butterflies away. I was brought up on sauerkraut

Shandy57 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:02:23

Morning all, I don't think my dog is very well, for the first time ever he jumped on the bed this morning and woke me.

Well, things are definitely changing fast aren't they, as you say craftyone it will be a different future. I suggested on the village news page that people buy vouchers for our local dog friendly coffee shop to use after lockdown, many people commented that they were holding onto their money and sad as it was, the business would just have to do what it could to survive. The coffee shop also offers accommodation - they'd had four cancellations when I went in last night, the customers refused to rebook and wanted a refund. Will our villages become ghost towns of businesses past?

My daughter is coming home on Friday so I've made the bed and moved the cat's litter tray into the bathroom, luckily she has used it so move successful! I've just realised there isn't anywhere for her to put her clothes, it's going to be a squeeze.

I'm glad your car battery has arrived craftyone. I've still not taken my car in for its blow out, I must before it clogs up completely. Just sitting at the bus station waiting for and getting the bus back has put me off.

Bench man is coming on Saturday, I have to go up to WD40 all the nuts and bolts today,

Craftyone, I am intrigued as to why you were brought up on sauerkraut?

Franbern Wed 18-Mar-20 08:50:35

No reason not to take car out - drives in the countryside could be very beneficial. Must say, I am going to find social isolation very difficult. Since I moved here, I have worked very hard to build up a social network system which gave me a group to attend most days of the week. Still more scared of the effect of this sort of loneliness will have on my mental health than I am of what sort of effect CV19 would have physically.
I was in tears this morning as I saw on FB of all the children gymnastic clubs having to close. So many of those have been put into place after many years of individuals giving their lives to the sport - they have been (Often by hand) built in old churches, lock-ups, previously derelict bldgs. As they are all run mainly as charities many will not be able to survive the financial implications of this shut down.
I feel bad as to how sorry I am for myself when so many people are having so much more serious blows from the lockdown,.
Cannot see any reason for there to be a general food shortage over the next few weeks. Provided stores do (as many are now starting to do), bring in some strict rules on how much of each item people can purchase - then think that most food items will be pretty much available as normal.
Notice my local Sainsbury (opens at 7.00 am) is now going to bring in first hour for my age group shopping - will have to get up early to get to that.
I am going out every day on my scooter -lovely little park not far from me. Sat there yesterday watching the fish in the pond with the fountain and felt more relaxed.
Daughter came for her tea as normal last evening. Her husband is in seriously compromised group on his many medical issues. He has put himself, as far as possible, in social isolation - but with four children living at home (one at primary school, one at Secondary school and two at local college), and wife lecturer at that college - it is difficult for him. It really is time that schools, etc were closed , although do hope if/when this happens, there will be some sort of facilities set up for child care for NHS etc. workers.
Think we will soon be hearing the that 2020 Olympic Games will be staged in 2021 - setting up a future quiz night question (what was different about the 2020 Olympics?).
Got a quote for cleaning my small balcony patio - £120.00 Over weekend my daughter is going to come round with scrubbing broom and see if she can do it for me. Do so want to get some patio furniture out there, so I can sit there as the weather improves.
My bathroom fitter (job due to be done at end of April) phoned me yesterday asking if I was definitely going ahead - I said YES, he told me that yesterday morning he had received cancellation amounting to £25,000. How can small local companies survive this? One of my Son in Laws has a curtain/blind shop, on South coast - only one cancellation to date - but is obviously very concerned. Another one is the Manager of a company who fits down floorings in Care homes and schools. At present all their jobs are cancelled. No idea what will happen to his job. Spoke to my son last night. BBC has ordered all their people who can (including him) to work from home, which he is doing and so is his wife.
I do have serious concerns for my daughter in London who does not have a spleen - taken out many years ago due to ITP - who is still desperately trying to keep her Mental Health teams operating at this time, with so many of her staff going off self-isolating or child minding. She always works many more hours than she is paid for and now seems to largely spend 24/7 at work - will not do her health much good.
Oh dear, sorry to carry on with my moans - not being able to chat to people is difficult, so am making up for it here.
Keep well everyone, and do keep posting. Think that this sort of social networking is the only thing going to keep me sane.

craftyone Wed 18-Mar-20 10:03:39

yes we all need to keep posting, the sort of chit chat that we would have over a coffee together or even if passing in the street

Anyone with a bit of space who needs a very decent high planter, lightweight, draining, on legs, with a lid to protect seedlings. Mine came yesterday and it is excellent, it is big enough for plenty of salad veg and flowers and maybe some balcony tomatoes £44.99 and black plastic so will last a very long time. I am very happy with it and am going to use mine for herbs, salad and the smaller nasturtiums. Ebay is very good but check that you get the shorter trailers if going into an elevated planter

www.gardening-naturally.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=planter

I filled another trug this morning, it will get more shade than the others and I have set it up with insect mesh over a cage. This one will be for cool shade lovers, initially for chard, mini cabbages and mini caulie, salad leaves and radish and I will pop marigolds in when the plugs arrive. No point me sitting here and wasting the hours out of my life, so I am going to sow them later, instead of tv watching

RM just delivered and this one, nice though he is, did not socially distance and he insisted on handing me parcels and packages. I have opened them, put the outers in my shopping basket until transfer to my recycling box. I have scrubbed my hands and will disinfect the table later. Such a potch but I want to be around to see my grandchildren grow up

Franbern, the younger generation have such a tremendously hard time of it, my ds has just gone back after 2 months off with work related stress, was back a week and ordered to work at home as someone there has the virus. A very big bank and he can work from home, IT. We could just walk into work, could hop from one job to another, no horrible CVs or presentations, no nasty targets, increasing yearly just because some are conscientious.

Shandy re sauerkraut: my stort as quick as I can. Dad Polish, joined army in 1939, fought all through the war with Brits. Billetted in mums family house in Breda. Fell in love, married straight after war. End of war they were taken to army camp at codford. Called aliens, could not go back to Poland as he would have been shot by Russians for being in forces with the Brits. Never saw his mum again. Lots more to tell later about slave labour and when we all went to Poland

The sauerkraut link was via Polish heritage, we used to buy if from st johns market in liverpool, from a big barrel. Also kefir, from unpasteurised milk, left to naturally ferment. We didn`t call it kefir, just sour milk. We all grew up very healthily and still are. More later, its too long for one post. My dgs said that wow we have such a good family history, including family member shot by kgb

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 10:40:25

Ooh yes more of those family stories please. Fascinating.
The past week or so has made me think more about my ancestors too. My mother was a governess to a High Commissioner on a tobacco plantation in South Africa when she met my father. She had many stories to relate about the troubles over there. It must have been quite scary though I liked to picture her with the life of Maria von Trapp in S of M.
I have a hospital appointment on Friday so will go armed with hand wipes, dettox and keep away from as many people as possible. My neighbour said to have a shower as soon as I get home!

Franbern Wed 18-Mar-20 12:37:37

Had a good and useful morning. Went to The Range and purchased two nice reclining patio chairs and a couple of small matching folding tables. Managed to get those into my car. Also went in to Dukelms (on same site) to get further pillowcase to go with the new bedding set I purchased last week. Not many people in either store - so was far more than two metres away from everyone all the time.
Having got home, I left my car in the flats residents car park so that I could give it a good vacuum inside (not enough room in my garage to do that). Did manage, slowly to get those patio items upto the flat. Must say doing all of this and I feel absolutely fine. If the weather remains dry will get out this afternoon on my scooter to local park.
Must say I do have some serious concerned about the nations children - It must such a very frightening time for them, no wonder so many are developing 'nervous coughs'. The world in which they live has gone mad, and all the adults they rely on seem not to have any control on circumstances,. We are training up a whole generation of paranoid hyperchondriacs.

Shandy57 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:57:03

Hello all, very interesting today!

I'm happy and grumpy at the same time, I was on the beach when the auction house rang to say the 'surveyor' had just left with the keys to my house.

I paid £800 to enter this auction, which now isn't an auction, and I do think someone going as far as commissioning a survey is good news that should have been relayed to me!

As the house is empty I lock certain parts of the house with keys the viewing agent don't have, so had to rush back, my dog wasn't pleased. He has got a hot nose, I do hope he is just temporarily off colour, the vets have issued their 'in car' appointments today.

It was the same surveyor who worked for the time wasting buyer, the one that informed me about the tear drop leak from the water tank joint, so I told him I'd had that fixed, and the 'beetles' he'd reported in his previous survey were no longer live, according to the damp/timber specialist. He asked what had happened with the previous buyer and I said he had given me the choice of doing £50K of work that his mortgage company 'may approve' and lend him the money, or I could have accepted a very low sum. After I'd told him I realised how ridiculous it sounded, he was a very bad buyer. After opening all the doors and unlocking, I sprayed the bench bolts with WD40, got some in my eye, not recommended, covered the bench with empty dumpy bags and left him the soap and kitchen towel. He's going to be there for six and a half hours again, I'm so glad I am down here at the cottage and don't have to hear him banging around. He was already in the loft when I was ready to leave, probably checking I'd told the truth about the joint, ha ha! I just shouted goodbye.

Grammaretto Wed 18-Mar-20 13:57:36

This latest development is good news Shandy .
Fingers crossed.
What a lot of hassle you have had.

You are right about finding things to amuse oneself when self isolating Ellianne. I found myself watching
Countdown yesterday and they have a "new" pregnant girl, Rachel, doing the sums! I was so taken with her advanced state of pregnancy that I looked her up and found she's had the baby!!

I have been listening to the Hilary Mantel book, so thanks for that alert.

I have also explored my ancestry I even had my DNA tested but had got to the stage to make arrangements to meet some newly discovered cousins and suddenly I'm stuck here.

I joked with DS that I bought the last puzzle book on the shelves in Tesco last night. Never mind loo rolls...

Have you any pictures you can share of the planted up trugs craftyone?
I will have to start sowing in the greenhouse soon.

Almost everything has closed around here and I hear that Scottish schools will be closed from the end of this week .
How it's all going to work I do not know.
But please keep sharing your adventures on here.

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 14:27:01

Grammaretto I think the girl called Rachel on Countdown went on Strictly, fell in love with her Russian? dancing partner, divorced her husband, married her dancing partner then had a baby!! I preferred the previous girl, Susie.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion