Gransnet forums

House and home

Why didn't my mother warn me?

(79 Posts)
mischief Thu 09-Apr-20 10:28:14

We get lots of advice from our mother's but mine forgot to tell me about how dirty cutlery drawers get. I just don't understand it. The only things that I put in are clean, straight from the dishwasher and I only open it to take cutlery out or put clean in. Why does it get so dirty?

Yes you can tell how bad this self-isolating is getting when I'm cleaning the kitchen cupboards and drawers. grin

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Apr-20 10:33:47

I have wondered about this too. It must be dust. ?

shysal Thu 09-Apr-20 10:35:29

Mine is always full of crumbs and dust, but I don't know how or why!

Eglantine21 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:36:50

The much missed Terry Pritchett had the Goddess Anoya, who presided over things that get stuck in kitchen drawers.

Perhaps she has an acolyte that goes around sprinkling those little bits of gubbins. Now what would she be called?

Where’s Misadventure when you need her......

Eglantine21 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:37:17

Pratchett. Honestly I did type that.

Smileless2012 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:38:08

It's one of life's mysteries mischief.

I cleaned out all of my kitchen cupboards and drawers before the lock down; I wish I'd waitedhmm.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 10:40:30

If baking is done on the worktop over the cutlery drawer, there's your answer.

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:49:29

Smileless please feel free to help me, if you can actually get in my kitchen. I keep telling myself my kitchen will look worse before it gets better. I have to be in the mood- 3 cupboards are spotless- I have another 6 to tackle and then the drawers.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 10:51:19

It infuriates me how my daughter (lives with me) just DOESN'T seem to see the grubby inside OR outside of cupboards/drawers. It's as if she has a filter. The muck drives me crazy!

SpringyChicken Thu 09-Apr-20 10:51:47

I know exactly why our drawer gets dirty. My husband takes something from the drawer but doesn’t close it afterwards. He proceeds to work at the worktop (bending forward at an awkward angle) and crumbs fall into the open drawer. I don’t know how many times we have discussed this. He seems incapable of shutting drawers. I can map his movements around the house by the drawers left open (or partially open because when he makes a big effort, he manages to half close them).

Chewbacca Thu 09-Apr-20 10:53:06

It's that drawer with all the rubber bands, odd keys you have no idea which locks they're for, bits of paper with a phone number but no name and the pens that don't work that puzzle me. Who puts all that stuff in there? I'm certain it's not me!

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 10:55:35

The use of sugar soap in the kitchen is ideal for shifting surrounding particles of grease which dust etc lands on and makes it look worse. Far less elbow grease is needed. I cleaned out the oven the other week with it no problem and no chemical fumes that you'd get with oven cleaner.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 10:58:27

Not forgetting batteries too Chewbacca that will be as dead as dodo's. Christmas cake decorations with the odd lump of icing sugar attached and bent birthday candles.

glammanana Thu 09-Apr-20 11:03:27

EV Thanks for that information I will do that next week,my oven needs a good old cleaning and as you know I don't have the use of my right arm for jobs like that so less elbow grease will be a godsend saves me getting in a "man who can" when all this is finished.x

Grammaretto Thu 09-Apr-20 11:19:45

urgh! your drawer sounds just like mine although mine isn't too bad at present.
What I can't explain is the grot on the stainless steel draining board, under the draining rack.
And worse, I found a cluster of clothes moths inside a thermos flask! The lid had been off and it was clean (apart from the unwelcome visitors)
Why were they there? what was attracting them?

Gaga1950 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:25:42

Chewbacca have you ever watched Michael Macintyre on the subject of ‘the man draw’. We have a cellar like that!

MiniMoon Thu 09-Apr-20 11:37:16

In the country of Djelibeybi, Cephut is the God of cutlery. Perhaps he has something to do with it.

Ellianne Thu 09-Apr-20 12:18:55

When we ran holiday gîtes in France the cutlery drawers had to be cleaned out every week they were so full of crumbs. (Maybe all the baguettes?)

SalsaQueen Thu 09-Apr-20 13:12:24

I use a cloth with disinfectant on, to wipe them out

phoenix Thu 09-Apr-20 14:02:53

Similarly, how do draining racks, that only ever have clean things put in them, need cleaning?

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 14:15:27

I have an expanding inner liner for my cutlery drawer, why can I never get it back together after cleaning.?

Quizzer Fri 10-Apr-20 10:07:04

My mother was not a good housekeeper. Her kitchen was less than spotless. In fact, when I had a party when they were away I cleaned the house BEFORE the party, not afterwards, and she didn't notice!

maryhoffman37 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:16:15

Our cutlery drawers are in a dresser so no worktop above and yet this happens.

icanhandthemback Fri 10-Apr-20 10:16:29

How funny, I was wondering that the other day. It's a bit like putting 2 socks into the washing machine just to find that the Sock Goblin has pinched one.

Leah50 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:18:21

My husband too, I've never seen him shut a drawer completely in over 50 years of marriage, possibly because he was kept in a drawer as a baby.