Gransnet forums

House and home

Smells - look away now if you are easily offended!!

(30 Posts)
kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 12:53:34

Our downstairs loo is right next to the front door and, despite having an extractor fan, sometimes smells from the loo escape into the hall and are fairly obvious when one comes in the front door (obviously DH's fault!)

I've tried various smellies but hate the underlying chemical smell that also escapes into the hall.

Has anyone got any good ideas?

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:00:20

Have you got an outside window you could him to open?

If not open the front door after loo has been used and leave open for 5 mins that should cure the problem!

MawB Sat 20-Jun-20 13:03:44

I believe I have cracked this and I swear by these -
Aesop Post-poo drops (or, more eloquently in French - Gouttes Anti-Odeur de Merde !! ) Not cheap - but very good, you could try Amazon or Space NK unless you have an Aesop shop near you.
Also their hand wash and for the loo itself I also like WaitroseEcological Watermint and Sage toilet cleaner which smells lovely!

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-20 13:04:33

There are two aspects on which to attack - technical failures and human error

A strip of sticky foam plastic round the door, to seal off the escape route? He would have to be sure to always close the door on the pong for that to work - give him some firm training in that respect.

Also train him in always closing the loo LID as well as putting the seat down. Or in using the upstairs loo for potentially smelly visits?

I think there may be extractor systems which draw air directly from under the seat/lid, thus minimising the chances of the air in the rest of the room being contaminted, but I don't know chapter and verse for that. It probably would only be effective with the seat and lid down, so again human co-operation is needed.

Charleygirl5 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:05:51

My loo is also next to my front door but I do not have that problem- I do not add smellies etc except maybe spray cleaning stuff down, leave a couple of minutes, flush and leave.

Squiffy Sat 20-Jun-20 13:10:22

I have read somewhere that striking a match clears any smells. Possibly a potential health hazard if human ‘gas’ is involved though! ??? ?

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-20 13:12:40

Mr Google to the rescue again! There are several of the loo extractor fans I spoke about.
Fresh Air Plus is one. There are also LooFloo Pan Fan, The Universal Extractor™ System, Expellor, and Miracle Seat. That was just on page one of a Google search result!

I've no idea how effective these are, but manufacturers are aware of the problem and working on it.

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 13:18:52

I just love all the names!! Thank you all - off to investigate!

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 13:21:45

An even better name!

crazyH Sat 20-Jun-20 13:24:02

My downstairs loo is next to the utility room......summer or winter, the loo window is always open. There is a radiator next to the seat, so it's never really cold or smelly .

Calendargirl Sat 20-Jun-20 13:44:16

Why do men never seem that bothered about leaving the bathroom smelly?
I always feel embarrassed if DH leaves it ‘smelly’ if we are on holiday, but he seems oblivious.
I’m opening windows and fussing, but he remains blissfully unconcerned.

??

shysal Sat 20-Jun-20 13:46:09

I gave some VIPoo as joke presents one Christmas. I am told that it does a good job, comes in several fragrances. It is sprayed onto the surface of the water in the bowl before use to trap odours.
VIPoo

jerseygirl Sat 20-Jun-20 13:47:08

Try Airwick Pure spray. Specially designed for the smallest room. Lots of lovely fragrances and does the trick.

Framilode Sat 20-Jun-20 15:01:48

VIPoo is brilliant. No chemical smell just a fresh lemony scent.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jun-20 15:04:26

Can't you build an outside one grin ?

mokryna Sat 20-Jun-20 15:15:20

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 13:21:45
LOL Dr. S grin

Rufus2 Sat 20-Jun-20 15:27:28

Has anyone got any good ideas?
Kitty Try changing his diet!
"Aesop post-poo drops" might be worth a try, although if they work he might be "going" more frequently just for the experience! grin
OoRoo

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jun-20 15:33:01

Yes, good idea, peel a mandarin before alighting.grin

My mum used to light one of dad's cigars and just puff the smoke out if a tom-cat had visited. It worked when people visited---" what a lovely smell of cigars ". What they didn't see was mum's green gills.

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:14:42

Unfortunately I have no ideas on this, but some of the answers offered on the thread have had me in stitches ?
It’s been a constant issue in our house for 12 years since we had a home with a loo by the front door.
On subject of training , however I can offer my experience. I’ve been trying to “train” DH in many things (like cooking, shutting drawers fully, not taking shoes off and leaving them apart so they can be tripped over etc. etc.) but no successes to report 42 years along in marriage. ?

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 17:16:52

A friend of mine is a retired nurse. Apparently striking a match and blowing it out cancels any whiffs. She leaves a box on a high shelf in her downstairs loo for the usage of. Try it - it works!

Suerussell Sat 20-Jun-20 17:26:54

Yes, the match works! It’s the smoke from it you waft around not the lit flame.

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 17:50:13

Inexpensive too ?

Dottydots Wed 24-Jun-20 18:55:17

Many years ago I had a toilet right by the front door and if you were outside you could hear it flush. I had just been in to have a poo, when the doorbell rang. I didn't pull the chain as I didn't want the caller to know I had just come out of the toilet. I washed my hands and opened the front door to the midwife.

We sat and had a little chat and then before she went she asked if she could use the loo. I was mortified as I knew what was in the pan. After her visit to the toilet, she shot out of the front door and must have thought what a dirty cow I was.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Jun-20 13:53:58

I am just startled to realise that there actually homes where the toilet is near the front door!

Atqui Tue 30-Jun-20 14:05:48

I think it’s down to upbringing. When my parents moved to a house with a euphemistically called “cloakroom” , it was deemed to be used by visitors and peeing only, which is how I view the downstairs loo. However H was brought up in a large house where the downstairs loo was always “the gents”.I agree Calendargirl - men seem to be oblivious. If I’m staying with other people I always use the bathroom for a poo instead of making embarrassing smells in my hosts “cloakroom” . I agree that lighting a match is good , it burns tha methane I presume.