Gransnet forums

House and home

Plantation Shutters

(37 Posts)
Curlywhirly Fri 26-Jun-20 19:04:21

We need new blinds and I quite like plantation shutters/blinds. As they are more substantial than venetian blinds I was wondering, those of you who have had them installed, do you think they make the room noticeably darker?

Hetty58 Sat 27-Jun-20 03:27:59

Next door have them - but on the front (shady, North facing) side of their house - for show, I suppose. I think they just look weird on 1930s houses.

craftyone Sat 27-Jun-20 07:22:23

I use my front downstairs shutters to increase my privacy, I keep the shutters tilted so that the light still comes in but you cannot see in. Those two front windows have split controls ie the top and bottom shutters each have their own controls. They are perfectly set up to match as though one shutter from top to bottom, I have the top on full-open and the bottom on tilt. shutters on those two windows can fold back on each other

They are not cheap, at least the white teak ones are not cheap but after paying £600 for a large curtain in my last house, then struggling to take it down in order to lift it higher because it had dropped a little, they are actually wonderful value. Here for the whole of my life and beyond. Neutral, so to add colour I can change a rug and sofa seat covers (did that) and cushions

Re mdf and the wood, I have mdf in the bathroom and there is a difference as expected. My neighbour bought his from a local company, made in uk, mdf and the difference in quality is obvious. Mine were very precisely made in China, have lovely hinges and a very positive magnetic catch. My slats are 6cm deep. The man who came to show me all the options, brought many samples and he was also the fitter, together with 2 others, one of whom is a retired cabinet maker, the most pleasant careful people

They took very special care to put joins behind window frame joins, he pointed out one house where the joins were in between window frame joins. I never appreciated that

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jun-20 08:08:30

I didn’t know what they were like, so just looked it up. They sometimes get confused with Colonial Shutters, whatever they are.

They look very nice, and I see nothing wrong with either name personally.

Auntieflo Sat 27-Jun-20 08:35:54

This thread is very interesting to me at the moment, as I think I would love to have these shutters in our home.
We live in a semi, would that then appear odd, if next door wasn't the same?
Should we then have them in every room?
Oh the decisions to be made, and that's only befor I even start looking for a supplier.
Craftyone, seems to have had an extremely good supplier and fitter. Were they part of a national chain?
Curlywirly, our new front door is a dark navy? blue, it matches our new electric garage door, and is lovely.

craftyone Sat 27-Jun-20 15:57:07

yes shuttercraft, I have a navy blue front door and warm cream k rend. Its a pretty house, was lucky to find it

MaizieD Sat 27-Jun-20 16:07:26

If you don't care for the name 'plantation' or 'colonial' shutters you could always refer to them as 'jalousies', because that's what they are.

duckduckgo.com/?q=jalousies&t=chromentp&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Washerwoman Mon 29-Jun-20 21:26:11

We have them and I'd never have curtsins again.But they duit the style if our bungalow well.To dust them I put an old fleece slipper sock on my hand and run my hand along each slat.Quick and easy.

BradfordLass73 Mon 29-Jun-20 23:14:10

Benjamin Frankling (who at that time lived in Paris) wanted to tax shutters because people were staying in bed too long on summer mornings grin

Txquiltz Tue 30-Jun-20 01:25:41

I have had plantation shutters in 3 homes. I love them! I think they cut fuel costs a bit, were easy to clean with the dusting attachment on the Hoover, went with any color or design changes and looked smart both inside and from the road. The also increase resale value.

jdga Tue 30-Jun-20 22:09:56

I have them & like them v much! I used to really struggle w/ the weight & fiddly cords on regular blinds...& these are much easier to (occasionally) dust, lol!

craftyone Wed 01-Jul-20 09:59:55

jdga, lol I hardly dust mine either. My slats are usually tilted so not much, if any, dust falls on them