Gransnet forums

House and home

Damn flies!

(31 Posts)
phoenix Sun 12-Jul-20 18:41:38

Hello all, good wishes to you.

Seem to have quite a few flies in the kitchen today angry have sprayed with "Raid" which according to the can"kills flying insects in seconds".

hmmWell, in all fairness it doesn't say how many seconds, could be thousands!

But much as I hate using these sprays (not good for my COPD) I do rather expect the damn things to actually kill flies, not leave them flying around my kitchen metaphorically thumbing their noses at me!

I have the same product in the office at work, one squirt and the buggers are lying on their backs in their death throes!

Why? Can only think that the one at work (which was ordered from Amazon) may have come from somewhere with different legislation regarding chemical content than the one I bought in the supermarket.

Any thoughts?

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:52:17

Fly swats, practice your swing.

As my GCs used to say when they were little ‘ make them deaded Nanny’.

phoenix Sun 12-Jul-20 18:56:54

Oh, Oopsadaisy I'm a demon with a rolled up newspaper! But can leave marks on the wall blush

J52 Sun 12-Jul-20 18:57:49

Probably an old wives take, but apparently growing mint near the back door, windows prevents flies entering the house.
I do it and hardly ever see a fly.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Jul-20 19:06:06

I’ve got mint by the door and inside in a jam jar of water, I’ve got rolled up newspapers and stuff that is in a tube like a felt ripped pen and you put it up the sides of the window panes, plus chemical spray.
There is also a field full of horses over the back hedge, so no chance of being without flies until mid winter . Sigh.

tanith Sun 12-Jul-20 19:06:09

I can’t abide flies in the house, I have a magnetic fly screen across the back door and no more flies. They don’t seem to come in windows.

midgey Sun 12-Jul-20 19:14:22

I always mean to grow shoo fly plants like my aunt used to, but I forget at the critical moment! The plant does work.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jul-20 19:33:23

I have a shallow bowl filled with a solution of vinegar and sugar covered with cling film which I have punctured with lots of holes......flies are attracted to the solution but cannot escape.

MiniMoon Sun 12-Jul-20 19:37:34

At lunchtime I had a fly flitting around in my kitchen. DH opened the window to let it out he said! It wasn't there before the window was opened, or I hadn't noticed it.

Witzend Sun 12-Jul-20 19:40:36

We’ve got a lot of what I think are flying ants outside - I had to come in, too many were landing on me.

shysal Sun 12-Jul-20 19:40:48

Raid takes several blasts I find, during which time the fly goes berserk! I have fine mesh over the open upstairs windows to stop my cat jumping out, but the flies still manage to get in somehow. I used to have a weapon like a battery operated tennis racquet which gave a satisfying spark and fizz as it made contact, but it was a bit gruesome!

Today has been a flying ant day in my garden, I saw them shooting up like smoke from a chimney. Raid worked on them. I then poured boiling water into the nest.

Hetty58 Sun 12-Jul-20 19:42:24

I can't use insecticides or any chemicals due to allergies. I do have awful reactions to insect bites at times.

I have pots of lemon geranium on the windowsills. Above the back door, I have the good old 'plastic bag fly deterrent'.

Nearly fill a clear plastic bag with water, add a small coin, seal and hang from a hook above the door. Flies think it's a big spider's web and won't fly under it.

Another hook has the very useful waspinator repeller (an artificial wasp nest) that actually repels flies too!

phoenix Sun 12-Jul-20 20:01:27

Thank you all for responding, appreciated!

BBbevan Sun 12-Jul-20 20:42:49

I had a lot of flies in greenhouse. DH hung several gangly file papers in there. They were very effective. Until I forgot they were other and got one entangled in my hair. Oh the trauma. Yuk yuk.

grannyrebel7 Sun 12-Jul-20 21:54:42

I can't kill a fly or any other living thing. I just try to shoo them out. I have heard if you hang a plastic bag of water with coins in it at your kitchen door it scares them off. Something to do with them seeing their reflections in the coins. Worth a try!

Furret Sun 12-Jul-20 22:34:44

Fly paper.

jdga Mon 13-Jul-20 03:59:09

Someone I know owns a dairy farm, & told me she always hangs up several of those vanilla scented (cardbrd) air fresheners pp’l use in cars, to deal w/ the inevitable flies.
Fingers crossed it works in kitchens too, lol.

Witzend Mon 13-Jul-20 08:53:18

Ugh, fly papers are horrible, but undoubtedly effective. Friends in rural Devon who had too many flies in summer used to hang fly papers in the kitchen - but one was hung too close to a cupboard, and more than once I forgot when putting clean things away, and got the vile thing stuck in my hair! ?

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 09:50:01

J52

Probably an old wives take, but apparently growing mint near the back door, windows prevents flies entering the house.
I do it and hardly ever see a fly.

I was told that about spiders, that they dislike mint.

So I wiped around the conservatory with a damp cloth with mint essence on it and there don't seem to have been so many around. However, I expect I'll go in there in a minute and find the ubiquitous spiders webs and poo.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 09:53:58

I was chatting on the phone last night and saw what I thought were hordes of flying ants rising up from the garden. At least, I hope they were ants and not newly hatched mosquitoes waiting to feast on me today.

It's a good year for insects of all kinds from teeny flies upwards. The wasps are ready and waiting until the weather warms up again.

25Avalon Mon 13-Jul-20 09:55:46

I have one of those battery operated zapper racquets which usually does the job and the fly stays stuck until you take your finger off the power to drop it in the bin. The smell of burnt fly however is not the most pleasant but neither is that of nasty chemicals which I particularly dislike in the kitchen.

Witzend Mon 13-Jul-20 09:58:25

I’m sure they were flying ants in our garden yesterday afternoon, @Callistemon - ant sized and shaped but winged, and apparently finding my blue and white top irresistible!

Nanna58 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:09:37

The battery racquet reminded me of a stay in India. The first evening two sole,n men gentlemen arrived at our bungalow to announce “ good evening Sir, Madam, we are the mosquito conquerors May we come in?” They wielded a battery racquet mans something like the insense swingy thing in church. They duly went through the house, don’t know about the mosquitoes we could hardly see for smoke ! We still find this hilarious, they were so serious in their mission!!

timetogo2016 Mon 13-Jul-20 10:22:56

Venus fly traps are good.
My dgc love watching how they work too.
No chemicals just nature.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 10:25:35

We had a fly zapper racquet but we thought the batteries had gone and new ones didn't do the trick either. So it's back to swatting.