Gransnet forums

House and home

Damn flies!

(32 Posts)
phoenix Sun 12-Jul-20 18:41:38

Hello all, good wishes to you.

Seem to have quite a few flies in the kitchen today angry have sprayed with "Raid" which according to the can"kills flying insects in seconds".

hmmWell, in all fairness it doesn't say how many seconds, could be thousands!

But much as I hate using these sprays (not good for my COPD) I do rather expect the damn things to actually kill flies, not leave them flying around my kitchen metaphorically thumbing their noses at me!

I have the same product in the office at work, one squirt and the buggers are lying on their backs in their death throes!

Why? Can only think that the one at work (which was ordered from Amazon) may have come from somewhere with different legislation regarding chemical content than the one I bought in the supermarket.

Any thoughts?

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 10:28:31

Witzend

I’m sure they were flying ants in our garden yesterday afternoon, @Callistemon - ant sized and shaped but winged, and apparently finding my blue and white top irresistible!

DH just said
"Your friend Tomasz just announced this morning that today could be the day when the ants fly, so they probably were the first batch you saw yesterday".

(My friend Tomasz Shafernaker grin)

BBbevan Mon 13-Jul-20 15:41:28

We had one of those racquet things. I laughed so much at DH doing a demented John McEnroe impression. Unwittingly!!!

KerryS Mon 13-Jul-20 17:05:30

I gave my husband a fly swatter and he was sceptical, but it works a treat. I suppose that the flies don't feel it coming as it's a plastic mesh so they don't feel the displacement of air. I'm no scientist, so I'm only guessing!! But it's brilliant, gets them every time, and just a couple of quid!

lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:21:26

Callistemon

I was chatting on the phone last night and saw what I thought were hordes of flying ants rising up from the garden. At least, I hope they were ants and not newly hatched mosquitoes waiting to feast on me today.

It's a good year for insects of all kinds from teeny flies upwards. The wasps are ready and waiting until the weather warms up again.

Yes, the flying ants took off from here too yesterday!

lemongrove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:23:46

We don’t have many flies fortunately, but had one last week, a small fly which evaded us and was a nuisance until I found it yesterday dead on a coaster.Presumably from lack of nourishment.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 13-Jul-20 18:20:08

Get a polythene zipper bag put several coins in fill with water, when you have your side/back door open lay it on mat. Apparently it works, I’m going to try tomorrow