Gransnet forums

House and home

Under the stairs

(40 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 14-Jul-20 21:43:09

My hallway is quite narrow (I live in a typical Victorian terrace), and I've long fancied the idea of knocking out the wall under the stairs to widen it, and getting rid of the

At present, there are 6329 coats and a million shoes in there, plus odd suitcases and other 'junk'. It seems like a waste of space, but that stuff needs to go somewhere, as even with a thorough declutter there will be a lot left. On the other hand, there's only my husband and me left in the house, so there should be somewhere to put it if I get rid of clutter from elsewhere.

I have been searching online for ideas, and there are some really nice looking built-in storage units on the market. They would hide the clutter, which would look better, but won't widen the space in the hall, which is what I really want to do. Also, as the hall is narrow, the sliding drawers that would open out into it wouldn't really work.

I am hoping (Covid restrictions permitting) to get the hall, stairs and landing decorated before Christmas, and get a new carpet fitted, so it's now or never for the understair area.

Has anyone had this done, and if so, what did you do? Any tips about what is likely to be useful and what you would do differently, please?

tanith Wed 15-Jul-20 14:24:39

??

3nanny6 Wed 15-Jul-20 14:43:42

6329 coats and a million shoes surely you are joking nobody could have that much stuff.
I shall stop being so bothered about my own assortment of clothes and shoes now as it is nowhere near that amount.

First thing you need to get done is clear away all that stuff one of the charity shops will come and collect it all for you if you give them a call. Good luck I am soon doing the same as I want to get some new carpet fitted soon.

loopyloo Wed 15-Jul-20 15:39:54

Do you have a downstairs cloakroom? That would be really useful.

timetogo2016 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:46:27

Blimey...how far do the stairs go up ? do you need oxygen ?.
I only have six coats and eight pairs of shoes.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jul-20 22:06:51

Of course I don't! I was exaggerating for effect grin.

FarNorth Wed 15-Jul-20 22:15:04

Joking 3nanny6? Surely not.
I believe there are GN rules about being totally serious at all times.

LadyBella Wed 15-Jul-20 22:20:57

Look at the website HOUZZ for fabulous ideas. Also Ikea are great on storage. Definitely get rid of what you don't need. I always feel better after decluttering. If you haven't worn or used it for 2 years you probably never will.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jul-20 22:31:04

AKA The Glory Hole according to my DM.

It was known as that in our house too Callistemon but when I said that to DS he nearly fainted. So did I when he told me what the definition is "these days"!

Back to the thread.... Ikea have a whole range of neat storage solutions for under the stairs. The units are graduated in height so that they make the most of the available space. Not too expensive either.

Fennel Thu 16-Jul-20 11:40:29

loopyloo - do you mean a toilet etc? Friends had a toilet room built into their under stairs space .
There's some method of getting rid of the smells etc.
Just thought of other friends who did the same thing.

JackyB Thu 16-Jul-20 11:48:57

Don't replace the stairs with an open staircase without risers. We had a new staircase recently and the carpenters said most of their jobs these days were replacing the risers in open staircases because people were fed up with the draughts and with dust, fluff and muck falling or getting kicked through.

Mind you, the dust and fluff that accumulates in our area is horrendous.

It's especially bad if the stairs are carpeted. My desk is under an open staircase going from the first floor to the roof and it's a nightmare to keep clean.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jul-20 12:48:17

Chewbacca

^AKA The Glory Hole according to my DM.^

It was known as that in our house too Callistemon but when I said that to DS he nearly fainted. So did I when he told me what the definition is "these days"!

Back to the thread.... Ikea have a whole range of neat storage solutions for under the stairs. The units are graduated in height so that they make the most of the available space. Not too expensive either.

Oh!
I won't ask what.

We always call it the glory hole.

gillybob Thu 16-Jul-20 13:14:53

I've never heard an under the stairs cupboard being called "A glory hole" before.

Mine is a wonderful walk in pantry/larder . All shelved out down to the most shallow bit at the bottom . Some of my neighbours have knocked theirs out to create a bigger kitchen and passage way but I love mine the way it is .

merlotgran Thu 16-Jul-20 13:43:31

DD calls hers the cupboard of doom. grin

Witzend Fri 17-Jul-20 07:25:01

Ours is more like a black hole than a glory one.