Gransnet forums

House and home

What is your favourite classic car

(62 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:12:55

I have two a cortina mark one column change gears on steering wheel bench front seat, and a moggy Morris minor with the lovely orange indicators opening out at the sides

Georgesgran Thu 16-Jul-20 00:11:53

Memories flooding back with these posts. My Dad got a 3 wheeled Morgan for his 21st birthday in 1932!

My first car was a little white Fiat 500 - the petrol went in the front bonnet - there used to be 24 hour garages where you put the cash in the pump - my friend and I had no change, so we put in a five pound note. Petrol was 6/11 a gallon, so far too much for the small tank - we had petrol everywhere! Thank goodness no one struck a match.

Driving a Jag Xf now, but had a Porsche 928S4 auto for years - actually shed a few tears when I sold it and the new owner drove it away, but head had to rule heart! Worth a small fortune now. X

SueDonim Thu 16-Jul-20 02:00:52

Oh yes, Woodmouse a proper MGB has to have chrome bumpers and wire wheels. Dh has a Z4 now, his retirement present. It’s fun to drive!

Witzend Thu 16-Jul-20 09:54:14

The E-Type. Preferably in British Racing Green.
In my late teens I used to babysit for a very well off couple who used to go out a lot (hooray!) - the dad would nearly always drive me home in his BRG E-Type.
(This was before drink-driving laws.)
Their one toddler never woke up, either.
Money for old rope!

Witzend Thu 16-Jul-20 09:56:36

Dh would probably say the white MGB (wire wheels, leather seats) he had before we were married. Not sure he ever quite got over having to sell it when he went to work in the Middle East.

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:57:02

Ford Cortina mk1 it was dark purple my favourite colour too.

Teetime Thu 16-Jul-20 09:58:24

Not really a car buff but I did love my red 2CV.

Rosalyn69 Thu 16-Jul-20 11:31:28

I’d love a vintage Ferrari but way out of my league. I content myself with watching Classic Cars on TV.

Mamissimo Thu 16-Jul-20 11:38:25

We have a yellow Saab convertible with cream leather interior for sunny days a la Howard’s Way. DH is convinced that it will become a classic ?

Fennel Thu 16-Jul-20 11:55:43

We had a white Alfa Romeo Spider for a short time in the '70s. It was great fun to drive , but eventually th gear box packed in and it cost too much to replace it.

FlexibleFriend Thu 16-Jul-20 12:22:46

Triumph Stag all day long.

EllanVannin Thu 16-Jul-20 12:33:20

My dad had a Standard Vanguard in a biscuit colour.

Spangler Tue 21-Jul-20 06:47:52

When I was a teenager I hankered after one of those MG sports cars that you see a Spitfire pilot driving in war films. There was a model known as the MG TC. I actually thought that TC meant something like Twin Cam or Twin Carbs. It was a long time before I discovered that the TC was the third in a series, as in: TA, TB, TC.

Life then got in the way, I climbed the greasy management pole, with it came a company car, changed every other year, and the MG got forgotten.

Decades later and that MG itch came back but my wife is asthmatic and susceptible to pollen, so an open top sports car wasn't really an option. But MG made a saloon version of their popular sports cars, it's called The Y-Type and that's what we now have. I'm still trying to work out how to upload photos, without much success, but if you click on this link www.mgccyregister.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jessica-on-the-Quay-2.jpg you should see a photo of the car. It was at a festival called: "Poole Goes Vintage."

Davidhs Tue 21-Jul-20 08:21:31

This was mine, bought it as a wreck and restored it, we had it for 12yrs but OH complained, noisy, dirty, smelly, uncomfortable, hot, all of which was true, had to get a more modern one.

Gingster Tue 21-Jul-20 08:34:38

We have an MGTD. It’s the same age as me.

George441 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:07:25

Toyota prius smile

Sarenka Mon 31-Aug-20 19:55:26

Jowett Javelin, my Grandpa’s car, smell of tobacco and mint imperials inside, creaking leather and the clunk of the Golden indicators bossily appearing, stately progress in a robust no nonsense motor, built to last, and so it did.

geekesse Mon 31-Aug-20 20:24:08

I drive an MGTF, and it is my dream car. I always wanted an MGB GT, but they are dreadful rust-buckets and nowhere near as nice to drive as more modern cars.

biba70 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:26:46

Never owned one- but I learnt to drive on two cars at the same time, a 2 CV and a TR4 - couldn't have been more different. Then I had the joy of regularly using a TR6 - red- will always be my <3 one

annodomini Mon 31-Aug-20 20:30:38

I'm also a Beetle fan. In 1960, I went round the Wolfsburg factory and immediately coveted the shiny bug. Eight years later, I got one of the first 1300 Beetles, bright (not sky) blue. It was reliable, went like a rocket and tackled the East African roads with ease - not to mention fording rivers.

Juliet27 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:32:00

Did love our old Reliant Scimitar which sadly lost its life to an arsonist.

Jane10 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:36:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grannynannywanny Mon 31-Aug-20 20:47:18

Fond memories of our first family car in the early 60’s, a Reliant Bond, just like the one in this photo. A very noisy 3 wheeler powered by a motor bike engine. The motorbike engine and lack of reverse gear allowed it to be driven with just a motorcycle licence. We had it a year before my Dad got around to sitting a driving test. It couldn’t reverse but could turn full circle. Very cramped and noisy but we loved it.

EllanVannin Mon 31-Aug-20 22:13:50

Brother's first car was an MG Sprite bought from April Wilding, daughter of one of the Pilkington's ( glass ) who he knew in the 60's.

Alexa Mon 31-Aug-20 22:19:09

I never use one, but did admire these dashing old Rileys with the rather splayed front wheels and long sweeping running boards

MiniMoon Tue 01-Sep-20 00:52:34

I used to walk past a house with a MG B GT parked ourside. I used to drool over that car, it was gorgeous and I wanted one. Never could afford one though.

The first car I remember travelling in was a gunmetal grey standard vanguard belonging to my uncle. Not very handsome, but roomy.