Gransnet forums

House and home

how do you store bags? I don`t have an excess

(94 Posts)
craftyone Mon 03-Aug-20 09:04:02

I have around 9-10 bags, some shopping as in kipling or radley and a few shoulder/cross body bags. Not a lot really but I would like to store them so as to remember what I have, rather than grabbing the same bag when I go out.

I don`t want them under the bed, not any more. Anyone have any good ideas?

dogsmother Mon 03-Aug-20 14:54:32

I’m joining theoddbird, make mine tea with a chocolate digestive.

Blossoming Mon 03-Aug-20 15:14:19

grandMattie

What a problem! I have a solitary handbag which I replace when it starts to fall apart...?

@Esspee same here grin

Annaram1 Mon 03-Aug-20 15:15:09

I only have one useful handbag, and it is dark brown and goes with everything. Then it got a tear in front at the zip. I bought a bright pink one with painted flowers all over it, and it is really beautiful, but does not go with everything. I still occasionally use the old brown one and carry it so that the tear is not visible. I also have a pretty green sparkly evening bag which unfortunately never sees the light of night these days. Then I have a daypack which I bought for a holiday 2 years ago and never used again. I just hang the brown bag and the pink one on a dining chair, the evening bag with my scarves, and the daypack is elsewhere but I don't quite remember where.

Blossoming Mon 03-Aug-20 15:15:16

Whoops, copied the wrong message!

Tabbycat Mon 03-Aug-20 15:49:10

When I retired I got rid of some of my handbags - anything that was plastic, torn, with a broken zip or too well-worn got thrown out - anything that hadn't been used for a couple of years (but was still in good condition) went to the charity shop. But I still have at least 12 left. I blame my mother grin she always insisted on wearing shoes and handbags to match and made a comment when she saw anyone with mismatched accessories.
I store the handbags in the cloth bags they came in on the top shelf on my side of the wardrobe. They are marked with the colour they contain. Most of them are cross-body bags (I have a balance problem) or are backpacks. All of them are now leather - buy the best you can afford (another one of Mother's sayings).
Shopping bags live under the stairs. I have one of those bag holders for plastic bags, but we don't seem to have many in there these days ...

Wendy Mon 03-Aug-20 15:54:43

Mine are all in fabric bags stored in the bottom of wardrobe by colour. Trouble is, it takes ages to find the one I want!

Bluegrass Mon 03-Aug-20 16:42:39

My bags are in two boxes on the top shelf if the wardrobe. The boxes are about 12 x 16 inches. I keep two out at any one time and use an inner bag (as mentioned by Pittcity) when I swop. The one in use is beside the sofa. Espee, your comment on the exercise bike was interesting. I've only used mine for hang newly ironed shirts on but handbags is a great idea. ?

Greciangirl Mon 03-Aug-20 16:45:49

I just hang them on any available hooks or doorknobs.

Unfortunately, i hung a lovely black leather bag on a hook in conservatory once which gets the sun quite strong in the mornings.
It ended up quite faded. I was so disappointed, I threw it out.
So I’ve learnt my lesson there.

Bluegrass Mon 03-Aug-20 16:46:54

Btw, here is my handbag organiser. Tip: plenty on Amazon to see. If buying go for a soft one with a drawcord, it will fit into more bags and be lightweight.

cornergran Mon 03-Aug-20 17:09:46

My handbags are in two deep drawers in a chest of drawers inside a bedroom cupboard, all arranged by colour. Very large bags are on a shelf, yes, arranged by colour. I know, no hope for me grin. I have a few handbags blush. Shopping bags live in the boot of the car, beach bag with the beach towels under a bed. I do have a handbag organiser which I keep everything in, removing bits as needed if I'm carrying a small bag. As bluegrass says, the soft handbag organisers are easier to use, mine is bright orange. A gift from a grandchild, how can I not use it?

Alioop Mon 03-Aug-20 17:17:00

I've far too many! I use a long top shelf in my wardrobe for my special ones and I have hooks in my cloakroom cupboard for daily crossovers and reusable shopping bags, so near car key & coats when heading out.

Joesoap Mon 03-Aug-20 17:29:38

Whta a lovely thread today.I am not a handbag collector, I use one all the time and buy another when it is starting to wear out,usually the same style but a different colour, dont I sound boring! I have several small bags for going out in the evening they are in one of those stacked wire basket type things.We have a house in the UK, and there are small bags for evenings there, also cabin luggage stored in the bedroom ready for weekend trips when we are there, Shopping bags are in the car, and some nice hemp bags from the British Heart Foundation shops, one here and two in the UK.When I think of it I do have a few bags, not thought about it before.I love purses too, but thats another story.Thank you for all your ideas

JaneRn Mon 03-Aug-20 17:33:27

All my handbags are stored on a shelf in my wardrobe, each in ithe cloth bag in which it came or in one which I have made for it. Never plastic as all the bags are leather and this is definitely not recommended. One word of warning I find it is easy to forget which one is which so I keep a list inside the wardrobe door to remind me what I have!

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 17:41:25

I have a few bags which are nearly always bought by dh. They have a deep shelf of their own in a cupboard next to the wardrobe. Most of then are in their bags.

But, I rarely change them and my current one is a bright pink Radley that has been out so little since dh bought it that I suspect it 'will see me out'.

Nortsat Mon 03-Aug-20 17:41:45

My bags are stored in the dust bags they came with, in the drawers under the bed. I have only got 6.
My one evening bag, is in its box in the drawer with my dozens of scarves.

I have got several purses (in their original boxes), which I don’t use and this has reminded me that I should list them on eBay. ?? ?

Ampersand Mon 03-Aug-20 18:17:35

I have a large built in cupboard & I put large picture hooks on one wall and hang each bag on it's own hook. Really doesn't take up much room and they keep their shape

Grannmarie Mon 03-Aug-20 18:34:35

I bought a pretty hanging thingy, like an old fashioned coat stand,in the Range.

I use it for hanging bags, scarves and fascinators from weddings.

It doesn't take up a lot of space, just sits in a corner of the bedroom.

Only thing is, because it is open it needs regular dusting!

Franbern Mon 03-Aug-20 19:34:31

Some years ago I purchased a handbag storage thingie. It hangs on one hook inside a wardrobe, and drops down with see thru plastic holders each side (5 each side giving a total of 10 spaces). Cannot remember from where I bought it, but does the job perfectly.

Franbern Mon 03-Aug-20 19:35:44

Just checked Amazon, Handbag Storage solutions, - lots of good systems all quite cheap.

NotAGran55 Mon 03-Aug-20 19:36:41

My collection is stored in the spare room in glass fronted wardrobe from Ikea . I like to see them all smile

Happysexagenarian Tue 04-Aug-20 09:55:13

Mine are usually in an untidy heap in the bottom of the wardrobe. I only have five and don't chop and change very often. My favourite at the moment is the last one I made about a year ago, it has numerous pockets.

Pittcity Tue 04-Aug-20 10:10:13

Thank you Bluegrass, I will put one of those on my wish list.

Charity shops are also grateful for donations of carrier bags.

Direne3 Tue 04-Aug-20 18:34:22

MawB I am fortunate enough to have found that the plastic delivery bags work nicely as liners for my dual kitchen waste bins.

lemongrove Tue 04-Aug-20 19:03:20

I keep mine in a cupboard with lots of shelves in, ditto for shoes, so I can see them at a glance.
I have too manyblush

lemongrove Tue 04-Aug-20 19:06:54

FlyingHandbag

BlueBelle

Ask flyinghandbags ? she ll know

I currently have mine lined up on the wardrobe floor. X

I thought you may have a secret compartment....?