Gransnet forums

House and home

A tip for Keeping the house cool

(56 Posts)
DiscoGran Mon 10-Aug-20 13:48:34

Looking out of my windows at some of the houses in my neighbourhood, a lot of folk have their windows and doors wide open in the hottest part of the day. This lets all the hot air in.

I was taught many moons ago (hot summer of '76 I think) that you open all the windows early morning, then close them and the curtains or blinds when the temperature starts to rise. Then open them again in the evening once cool. It works.
You may already do this. A lot of my neighbours don't seem to. Seems like a no brainer to me.

SueDonim Tue 11-Aug-20 20:19:46

Lizbethann55 it does work. The evaporation of the water from the towels reduces the air temperature. smile

grannypiper Tue 11-Aug-20 20:34:12

When i lived overseas 4 degrees was normal. I would air the house as soon as we got up, then after breakfast at 7a.m i would close the windows and shutters. before dinner at 6p.m i would turn the fans on in the children's bedrooms. If it was really hot i would fill the bath with cold water and place buckets of cold water in the bedrooms. Even filling a sink with cold water helps.

Nannan2 Sat 15-Aug-20 01:43:11

Our last house had a loft conversion done by previous people, but open at top of small stairs, and i just used it for storage as it was fully insulated and absolutely boiling up there! When i had to go up to sort out/ditch the clutter prior to moving i was completely sweltering, and had to do it in 'cool-down' breaks grin

craftyone Sat 15-Aug-20 08:09:13

ventilation should be built into all floors of every house, it was the first thing my husband added to our loft after we moved to our family home. He was a structural engineer and knew what he was doing. Air tight areas are bad for houses (and people)

harrigran Sat 15-Aug-20 08:42:52

My goodness this thread is interesting. I am reading about wet sheets and fans and my heating has been on for the last three days. I have also had to have the lights on from about 7.30 at night as it is too dark to read.