Gransnet forums

House and home

cleaning loos

(42 Posts)
Catlover123 Fri 11-Sep-20 18:15:21

I am trying to clean the loo but haven't been able to shift brown limescale. I am wary of using really powerful stuff as we have a spetic tank. Has anyone got any ideas?

DanniRae Sun 13-Sep-20 11:57:13

I know someone who drinks a can of coke every day and has had a few broken bones. She has to take calcium tablets to strengthen her bones - I think I had better tell her about the chicken bone experiment? Or maybe one can of coke is not enough to cause any damage? hmm

lindiann Sun 13-Sep-20 12:14:20

This just came up in my email wonder if it would scratch the toilet?
www.idealhome.co.uk/news/toilet-cleaning-hack-238624

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 13-Sep-20 12:23:29

We’ve never use beach or disinfectants but that’s to do more with not polluting the drainage area around our septic tank.

I use rubber gloves and softish green scouring pad.

A little bleach is OK if you choose to use it.

A side issue with drainage and septic tanks is to be aware of where you drain to.

We were responsible for selling the house a close relative lived in last year, after her death. It had a septic tank that drained to surface water! Oh Boy! This is not allowed any more and tanks have to be replaced with treatment plants. Huge expense. See EA binding rules if you need to know more. It’s now illegal to drainage to surface water from septic tanks.

rowanflower0 Sun 13-Sep-20 13:13:18

Use a toilet brush vigerously, last thing at night, which will push most of the water round the U bend, then either fill up with a can of coke, or with a sachet of descaler and leave overnight. Try one one night, and one the next - and tell us which works best!

lemsip Sun 13-Sep-20 15:11:28

harpic 100% limescale remover, the blue bottle.

Annaram1 Sun 13-Sep-20 16:11:39

I fell for an online ad for a product called Sparklebowl. It claims that if you use 2 spoonfuls in your loo it will fizz up to the top and when you flush it after an hour or two it will be brilliantly clean. It is quite expensive and did not work in my loo at all.

Camelotclub Sun 13-Sep-20 16:17:24

Harpic limescale tablets. They dissolve like Alka Seltzer (don't get them mixed up) and you can leave overnight.

Auntieflo Sun 13-Sep-20 17:28:08

Annaraml. I am another who fell for that SparkleBowl ad, in lock down boredom. It was expensive and took ages to arrive.

When it didn't work as shown in the ad, I emailed the company, who replied that 'your loo has to be really dirty for it to work'. Not just normal staining.
(In the ad, the product foams right up to the rim of the bowl, in real life, it doesn't).

So, another lesson learned. sad

I have found the very thick limescale remover, in the black bottle works.

Does anyone else think that the ceramics used in modern day toilets, are not as long lasting as in 'the olden days'?
I am sure the limescale builds up much faster.

Doreen5 Sun 13-Sep-20 18:23:12

A real pumice stone works well and doesn't scratch.

mrswoo Sun 13-Sep-20 18:38:25

I wouldn’t advise using spirits of salts. I know someone who used it - probably a little over-enthusiastically - and her loo exploded leaving a very large hole and rendering it totally unusable. I imagine it was beautifully lime scale free though but be careful with the stuff as it’s very strong.

Namsnanny Sun 13-Sep-20 18:50:29

Auntieflo

*Annaraml*. I am another who fell for that SparkleBowl ad, in lock down boredom. It was expensive and took ages to arrive.

When it didn't work as shown in the ad, I emailed the company, who replied that 'your loo has to be really dirty for it to work'. Not just normal staining.
(In the ad, the product foams right up to the rim of the bowl, in real life, it doesn't).

So, another lesson learned. sad

I have found the very thick limescale remover, in the black bottle works.

Does anyone else think that the ceramics used in modern day toilets, are not as long lasting as in 'the olden days'?
I am sure the limescale builds up much faster.

I'm glad you both commented on this product as I too was interested in it!

Sparkling Sun 13-Sep-20 18:54:04

Cat lover pour a bottle of coke around the loo, leave overnight.

Nana29 Sun 13-Sep-20 19:54:11

Pumice stone was the only thing that really worked for me in a hard water area, and it didn’t scratch the toilet

Saggi Sun 13-Sep-20 20:38:19

Garlic power tablets. Brilliant while my son in law was on hols with my grandchildren, I rolled up my sleeves and scoured his loo.... he’s great in everything else...but loo leaves lot to be desired. Put two in overnight and started to work ....put two on the following night and by morning the gunk was gone ....all it needed then was elbow grease! Harpic power tabs!!

Saggi Sun 13-Sep-20 20:39:06

...’Harpic Power Tablets’ ....garlic ????

JdotJ Sun 20-Sep-20 18:12:58

My mum swore by Spirit of Salts for cleaning the loo