Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress

(998 Posts)
craftyone Tue 22-Sep-20 19:33:18

Links to the first six threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1281471-Help-calm-me-House-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-6?pg=40

thread number 7

Spice101 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:57:18

Wise to do a test run on your heating craftyone. So much easier to get in before everyone needs things attending to if there is a problem.

I never use flannel sheet as I get stuck on them and cannot turn over easily. At the moment I'm using bamboo sheets and I do like them except they do come out of the wash very wrinkled. Once on the bed they are fine though. I do iron the pillow cases.

Had a good report from the surgeon, both he and I are pleased with my progress. I do have some numbness around my knee and he says that could take a year to go - or it may not go. (I still have numbness in the hip area too). I can live with that it is much better than the pain I used to have.

Whiff Thu 24-Sep-20 07:25:02

Spice101 that's good news from your surgeon. A few months after my husband died I fell and landed on my right knee. Luckily I was with my children so they got me up. I was 19st in those days. Because of the fat and must have hard bones didn't break anything. Saw my GP as something was wrong with my knee. Turns I can't feel parts of my knee as when I fell I destroyed some of my nerve endings. It's been like that ever since. Long winded way I know to get to the point. I just got used to it as another weird thing my body does.

Franbern are you fully recovered from your fall? How lovely for the 3 of you to meet.

Had my boiler serviced last month and have had my heating on a few times. Was cold again at 4.30 so put the heating on. Going to change the bed today and put my other duvet together. At the moment using the 10.5 so will clip the 4.5 to it. Hopefully won't wake up cold again.

Was a proper misery yesterday. Having the UTI come back just seemed to lower my spirits. Determined I'm back to my usual self today.

Finally own a pair of ankle wellies. Found a company called Jileon who make wellies for people with wide feet and fat legs. Their size guide is very useful . I have problems because of my left leg. Brought my usual size 5 . They are so easy to put on and comfortable. Very good grips. I wanted them for in the garden as I have ruined a good pair of shoes gardening. Never have damp feet again. They were £28 had 20% off free delivery.

Can't wait to hear from Shandy and her adventures.

Need to get up as still sitting in bed writing this. Have a good day all.

craftyone Thu 24-Sep-20 08:40:09

I used to have jileon and they are certainly good, I even managed to get their wellies on

Its amazing how the body can adapt, I got floaters in my eyes, a lot of them at once, about 6 years ago and was so conscious of those black swirls and dots moving around. It was a sad time because I know I would never again have that crystal clear eyesight from childhood. My eyes adapted and I started not to notice those floaters. They were so horrible that I used to let my glasses get dirty, so the floaters would not be so obvious. Short sight plus older age= more risk of floaters. My mother in law used to say the old age never comes on its own

Ellianne Thu 24-Sep-20 09:29:39

MerylStreep

My guess is the red shoe is shandy
The buckled shoe is Ellianne.
The soft shoe is Franburn.

Answers to the shoes photo. Funny Meryl and Spice agree, but you're wrong! grin
Red shoe is Ellianne
Buckled shoe is Franbern
Soft shoe is Shandy

Franbern Thu 24-Sep-20 09:29:48

Yes, it is quite amazing how our brain adapts to take in changes to our physical conditions. When I first developed Tinnitus, I can remember wanting to keep banging my head against a wall to try to get rid of that constant noise.

Not get any better, but twelve years later I hardly notice it, have actually to really think about it to notice that it is still there. Exactly the same with floaters, thought I would never be able to cope, but again - I know they are there if I think about it, and optician always comments on them,

More serious conditions we also adapt to. It is now thirty years since I had to start living with an ostomy bag - but having it saved my life and my quality of life to how it had been prior to the op, due to Ulcerative Colitus.

Cataract ops. meant my eyes are e fine for me to continue to drive.

We are so fortunate that not only do we have such great medical knowledge and advances, but so many aids to help us lead good lives. Love my mobility scooter - without would be virtually housebound.

Think back to not too distant past, when people with arthritus, cataracts, UC, etc. etc. led such miserable existences until their (to us, now) early deaths.

Okay on happier note - yes, had a lovely time in Exmouth, I managed firstly to visit some very long-time (will not say 'old') friends of mine who moved there from Chingford some 8-10 years ago. Then down to sea front to meet with Ellianne and Shandy. Had our scones, cream and jam!!! Needed to move from completely open air seat to a shelter, which actually faced the sea. Almost as soon as we had done so, the rain stopped!!!! Lovely place Exmouth!!!

For me, just actually seeing people and chatting was the best of all medicines. I felt tired, but so very happy, when I got home. The boost it gave to my mental (and, therefore, my physical) health, was enormous. Most human beings are social animals.

Be lovely is Shandy does find who future home in the town, and hopefully, we will be able to have further meet-ups around Devon or Somerset - in the open air for us from this thread.

I find it amazing that Whiff is saying how cold it is up where she lives. Have still not taken my 4.5 tog duvet out of storage to put in my bed. This will be the one I use during the winter. At present I have my flat sheet and a coverlet - and often I find that too much for me. BUT......will (with reluctance), be packing away now my summer skirts and replacing them in the wardrobe with thinnish, Spring/Autumn trousers.

Heigh, those of you who did the 'shoe puzzle' you could not be more wrong!!!

Ellianne Thu 24-Sep-20 09:32:09

Can't wait to hear from Shandy and her adventures.
I'll wait until Shandy gets back to say any more Whiff, other than it was good fun. You're right spice, it was easy to get on quickly because we already knew a fair bit about each other.

Spice101 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:53:55

Haha I didn’t even guess one shoe wearer correctly.

craftyone Thu 24-Sep-20 11:55:28

Gosh I was cold last night too, it isn`t just whiff. We are experiencing an arctic plume which has brought much colder air. You must have an inner central heating franbern

GrandmaMoira Thu 24-Sep-20 12:47:08

I'm glad three of you enjoyed your meetup in Exmouth. I don't know when we'll have a Gransnet meeting again here.
It has finally got cooler here but still okay with the 4.5 tog duvet. I did put the 10.5 tog one on at August Bank Holiday but it was only cold for a couple of days.
It's still been warm enough for me to get bitten this week. This is the latest in the year it's happened. Now I'm on antibiotics for cellulitis for the first time since I moved. I escaped bites last year.

Franbern Thu 24-Sep-20 13:07:03

My flat is very well insulated. Thick Weston stone walls, and the Solicitors office that faces the main road, runs right along one side of my living room, giving an added insulating source.
I still have a window open (not wide) in both bedrooms and a small one in Living Room.

Yes, thanks to those who asked, I am now totally recovered from that fall, although my knee and ankle still have the graze on them. Popped out this morning for a quick trip to large Sainsbury - just on my scooter. None of the supermarkets seem very busy these days, probably because so many people are buying on-line - suits me, as I am not willing to give up my in-person shopping. Did note that there seem to have been a bit of a run on the loo paper aisle, still plenty there, but do wonder what goes through peoples minds. Lovely cashier - so helpful insisted on putting the my small amount of purchasers into a bag and then coming out to put that bag in my scooter basket for me. Got some lovely big Bramleys, so am now in the middle of making an apple pie for this evening when my daughter comes for her tea - and she can tell me all about how my g.son settled into his Uni halls yesterday.

Shame for Meet-ups to be cancelled, where they can be held for a few people in the open air cannot see why they should not still go ahead. Attendees can bring their own food an drink. Sure it would do so many a great deal of good.

Franbern Thu 24-Sep-20 13:08:55

Woops, - typed Sainsbury without thinking, that is where I normally shop (but three miles away). The one I can reach easily, just down the road on my Scooter is a very large Tesco/

Shandy57 Thu 24-Sep-20 20:25:01

Evening all, I'll be on tomorrow to tell you about my adventures.

After my eight hour journey I walked into a temperature of 13 degrees in the cottage and it's sleety rain here, I've put the central heating on.

I can't get my dog from kennels until tomorrow so I'm cuddled up in my dressing gown. Tomorrow night will be a different matter, I'll be walking the streets in the dark with my ugly reflective gilet over my North Face coat! See you tomorrow smile

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 20:32:09

Pleased you are home safe and sound Shandy , can’t wait to hear what you’ve been up to!

Ellianne Thu 24-Sep-20 21:49:25

Glad you're home safely Shandy. You must be exhausted, have a good sleep.

craftyone Fri 25-Sep-20 06:40:00

hugs shandy, must have been horrible to get back to a cold dismal rental on your own

My stove experiment went super duper well, I managed to reach a setting that gave me a low light with low heat output but no smoke at all. The flu was still warm this morning so I have lightly re-stocked the stove and hope to get the same gentle warmth today. There was no plug of cold air to shove up the chimney so there was no smoke at all when I re-lit it. I am experimenting you understand

I have a special metal ash carrier and a hearth protector and am trying to keep ash and mess right down.

Whiff Fri 25-Sep-20 07:28:17

Welcome home Shandy can't wait to here about your adventures.

midgey Fri 25-Sep-20 07:42:12

Spice have you heard of a Snoozle sheet? A friend told me about it, it is a satin loop about 18 inches wide and works like a slide sheet. Might be really helpful for you.
www.thesnoozle.com

Spice101 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:22:18

Interesting midegy, I'd not hard of these will look into it more. Thanks

Spice101 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:23:03

Oops midgey not midegy

Spice101 Fri 25-Sep-20 08:43:00

My walking poles just arrived. Too late to try them today and it is heaving down rain but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able christen them.

Shandy57 Fri 25-Sep-20 12:37:27

Morning friends, lovely to catch up with all your news! I'm exhausted and also have the sniffles, I got caught in a huge rainstorm and my 'Joules' mac isn't completely waterproof!

The biggest thing about my adventure is that it's shown me how unfit I've allowed myself to become, I need to do something about it now. I thought walking my dog was enough exercise, but I'm going to start eating more healthily and do some yoga or something to increase my flexibility. I really felt it actually being 'on the ground', and physically walking around, as opposed to looking at places on the map and working out the walking distances. I've walked up and down more hills this week than I ever thought possible! Skecher bobbles are worn!

My taxi came at 7.30 am on Monday morning, and I got to the station in time to introduce myself to my assistance person who was going to help 'me on', and grab a coffee. The train got in at 0807 and the journey was quite uneventful, everyone was distanced as we had to sit in window seats and all were wearing masks. I was due into Exeter St Davids at 1445, where I had to change to the Exmouth train. Booking in time at the Airbnb was listed as 1500, and my arrival time was 1547. I was irritated to receive a text from the Airbnb owner at 1420 saying the room was ready and could I go straight there to get the key as they wanted to go for a swim - but this is just me being a grump, it was pointed out to me the next day that it was a wonderful day for a sea swim. I must learn! They offered to pick me up from the station but as I was going to be later, I got a taxi - and the driver didn't know where it was and dropped me off 'near there'. I was walking along on the main A376 to Exeter and couldn't find it sad It was very, very hot and I was quite tired, my phone battery was really low, and my bag was getting heavier and I still couldn't find it, so I rang the taxi firm for help - I was walking the wrong way! I sent a text to the hosts to say I had got lost and would be with them shortly, when the owner appeared, they'd come to find me, I was so glad! They pointed out the bus stops to me and told me my 'stops' name, so I felt safe to go exploring.

The Airbnb was great, a building in their garden with a conservatory, then a bedroom with an ensuite, a tv and fridge. I felt really safe. Once I'd dropped off my bag and showered, I went out to catch the bus into town, and had a walk around the promenade and had a meal outside at the Strand. The atmosphere is completely different to Kent, and I felt really comfortable on my own. The Airbnb owners said I was their last guest as the cleaning is just too much, it's doubled in time from two to four hours. I did strip the bed when I left, and swept the carpets with the dust pan and brush.

I had a good night's sleep and got a taxi to my first viewing in the morning at 1115. It was a two bedroom ground floor flat, part of a grand souble fronted house, with a garden, within walking distance of the beach. I hadn't realised it was adjacent to a busy road, but you couldn't hear the traffic whilst inside as it was double glazed. This one was a fifteen minute walk into town.

I then walked to my next viewing which was about ten minutes away, and during my walk saw a lot of lovely houses around the back of Exmouth. I was really early, and ended up hanging around in a passage way linking two roads for about half an hour. I sat on the kerb at one end, and it was so nice, two people asked if I was OK! I was in the wrong place though - I thought the agent had said Henrietta Place - no - Henrietta Road! It was another two bedroom ground floor flat with a courtyard garden. I did like the layout but it was very dark and needed a lot of work - plus the garden off the lounge was shared by the two rented flats above. The owner said he hadn't heard from the freeholder for the two years he'd lived there, she was local - and he was moving into rented. I dismissed this one, although the ten minute walk into town was attractive.

I walked into town and waited for the bus to my next appointment, a bungalow some distance from town in a hilly road of bungalows. The bus service is really good, and you can buy a day rider ticket for £3.80, I certainly covered a lot of miles on the bus. The bus came straight away so I was early again, and sat on a wall for half an hour waiting for my 2 pm appointment, I shared my sandwich with a magpie (discreetly!). I could see the sea and the hills in the distance, no flood risk there. The bungalow was elevated with twelve steps above the road and had a very, very steep drive. The bungalows on the way to it were lovely, but the ones either side of this one were very neglected. The layout was odd, garden was very small, and mainly concrete. I couldn't get into the garage. I dismissed this one, I'd never use the drive and felt my vertigo kick in when I stood in the lounge.

I walked back up to the main road afterwards, and thought I'd walk to my next appointment on the outskirts of town, but the hill defeated me. I managed to get the bus and a local gave me directions from the nearest stop to my next viewing. I walked for about ten minutes on the main road and found the new estate and again was early so sat in the children's park on a bench while I waited. When the agent came the house has been tenanted, and was in need of some redecoration, but I didn't like the huge wooden block in the front bedroom - it was the top of the staircase. The agent said most people have a built in wardrobe built on it, but you would have to step up to it. I dismissed this one because of the staircase block, plus the garden was two tiered, and had two huge manhole covers. Lots of children on the estate too, young families. I dismissed this one.

It was 4.40 by this time, and I thought I'd wait at the bus stop I'd seen when I arrived. After half an hour and no bus, I thought I'd walk back to where I'd got off the bus, and crossed the road to the other side. I'd been there for about twenty minutes when someone came out of their house and I asked about the bus - she said the bus didn't stop there at this time of night, and I had to cross the road to the original bus stop. Luckily only a ten minute wait this time, and I went back to the accommodation. I got off too early, and had to walk up the hill unfortunately, but found a Co-Op on the way and got some mac cheese to microwave for my tea. And some crisps. And some jelly babies!

I had an early night and got up to really heavy rain sad As the roof on the Airbnb was metal it was really noisy, so I knew when it had stopped and dashed out for the bus. I went into town and went into every estate agent, that would allow it - three were closed and people just waved at me through the glass. It started raining again quite heavily, I was dripping in the end, absolutely soaked. One man came to the door and threw his card at me - on the door it said appointment only, and sit on the chair with the 'red spot'. Luckily the agents I could see were very helpful, and I've managed to register to rent with three of them.

I then went down to the Esplanade where I was meeting Ellianne and Franbern at noon. It was so nice to meet you both, thank you very much for organising it Ellianne, and for doing the long drive down Franbern. Ellianne bought us a Devonian cream tea with delicious home made scones, as well as coffee, and we had a lovely socially distanced chat. Cream first! I was viewing a property at 1500 and Franbern very kindly offered to drop me off on her way home, which was a lovely treat. When I move I will be having driving lessons, Franbern puts me to shame!

This viewing was a two bedroom first floor flat, part of yet another grand house, with its own steps up to the front door, what a contrast to the other properties I'd seen. Light and airy, and very spacious. A small communal garden though, and the flat below me owns the garden the lounge looks out over. I've asked more questions and am thinking about this one, the steps are obviously a drawback for future proofing.

I went back into town afterwards on the bus and had another wander around, and walked back to the first flat. The road was still very busy, I don't think I'd enjoy being out in the garden there, so I've dismissed this one too.

I got a lift to the station from the Airbnb host yesterday morning and enjoyed the little train back to Exeter St Davids, no avocets obliged even though I was glued to the window! then the long journey on cross country for home. I glimpsed my old neighbour/solicitor on the train and avoided him, he was working.

The temperature difference really hit me when I got home, and the cottage thermostat was showing 13.5 degrees, luckily the oil man has been so I turned the heating on. It started sleeting later in the evening, autumn is definitely here.

I've just collected my dog and he's upset yet again, I hope to find a home boarder for my next trip instead of the kennels. Puss cat is fine, although the sitter was over enthusiastic with her filling of the cat litter tray smile

Just jumped out of my skin as a huge bang on the front door - wooden washing line prop has just fallen against it in the wind!

Take care friends, I'll let you know what happens next, with far less detail! smile

Spice101 Fri 25-Sep-20 13:24:03

What a busy couple of days you had Shandy. I do hope you get something useful from your trip, even if it is only that this is the area you want to move to.
Look forward to hearing more about what happens next.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 25-Sep-20 14:27:40

You must be exhausted Shandy but it sounds as though it was a very useful trip, even if it’s just which areas to avoid, I agree though, you have to have boots on the ground when you go somewhere new, google isn’t to be relied upon.
Pleased you made it safely back home.

Whiff Fri 25-Sep-20 15:46:08

What an adventure Shandy. Hope your dog settles down.

Went into the village this morning and planted the last of my bulbs when I got back. Very cold and windy here.
I've got my heating on. Leaves are flying everywhere. Noticed how the nights are drawing in. Beautiful half moon last night. Autumn is definitely here.

GrannySomerset Fri 25-Sep-20 18:19:49

Thank you for bringing us up to date, Shandy. When you have recovered you will have to decide what to do next. It’s so hard to do all this on your own though the tough love shown by experienced posters here must help.