Gransnet forums

House and home

I was horrified to see my

(35 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 15-Nov-20 16:28:05

Five year old kitchen has the laminate(or whatever the covering is) bubbling off one of the doors in the centre.

Did anyone have this type of issue with a kitchen door.

and is there anything that can be done.

sharon103 Sun 15-Nov-20 16:30:36

Was the protective plastic covering taken off after fitting?

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 16:36:29

We had that problem with a bathroom door.
The laminate lifted off completely and gluing it back did not work because it had cracked and split.
Unfortunately they weren't making similar doors any longer so DH painted it with 3 coats of high gloss paint and it is hardly noticeable but it would be more noticeable in a kitchen, I think. Annoying because it was not cheap.
I think they can be relaminated if they still do the size.

You could try gluing it.

www.hunker.com/13402708/how-to-fix-a-peeling-laminate-cabinet-door

phoenix Sun 15-Nov-20 16:42:10

jeanie99, may I ask if it's the one under the sink?

M0nica Sun 15-Nov-20 17:05:58

Our (originally quite expensive) units were painted mdf and we found over the years the surfaces of the doors under the sink and either side bubbled and blew, which is part of the reason we are currently haveing a new kitchen fitted at the moment.

jeanie99 Sun 15-Nov-20 17:24:31

I have just found 2 more doors, one is the kitchen sink door and two are high doors in another area of the kitchen.
There's no cracking or splits it looks like it is lifting off.

Although my kitchen is 5 years old it's like new.

It's a Wren kitchen which comes with a 25 yr warranty but don't know if it covers this.

I've sent an e-mail with photos, have to see what happens.

I feel sick, I waited 10 years after we moved into this house for a new kitchen.
Hubby didn't want to change the one that was in and it cost enough, here's me thinking it would last 20 years.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 17:26:56

It's a Wren kitchen which comes with a 25 yr warranty but don't know if it covers this.

I think it should and they are still in business I believe.
They should be able to change just the doors without too much problem.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 17:27:40

Contact them before you try anything yourself.

25Avalon Sun 15-Nov-20 17:30:20

Adverts for Wren on the telly so still going. Kitchen units should last more than 5 years. If you get any problems speak to Age Concern’s Consumer Direct and they will help with claims.

kittylester Sun 15-Nov-20 17:31:03

We had this happen about 5 years in and contacted the company who fitted the kitchen. They fitted all new doors and drawers as they couldn't guarantee any replacements would match. I think contacting Wren is the way forward.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Nov-20 17:32:30

Jeannie99, I had a Wickes kitchen that had a 10 year guarantee. 9.5 years in and the laminate started to lift and bubble on one door, then another and finally on all of them, including the fronts of the drawers. I telephoned Wickes and was told to photograph each cupboard and drawer and email them to their customer services. Within less than a week, I had 5 new cupboard doors and 4 drawer fronts delivered, free of charge.
If you've still got all your paperwork from when you bought the kitchen, you're home and dry regarding the guarantee.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Nov-20 17:33:20

MDF hates wet. I'm assuming it's the vinyl cover that has damaged letting damp in...
You can probably get a new door if they still make the colour/finish. We bought a "spare" one just in case when our kitchen was done but if we hadn't I'd buy a new one and put it in the least noticable place in the kitchen.
Frustrating though!

Wd have some MDF boxing-in pipes in our cloakroom. The fitters sealed it well to the floor with acrylic and said to be careful if mopping that it's not left too wet for long.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Nov-20 17:35:44

Sorry, think I've ctoss-posted with your reply.
Yes! Go to Wren first!

jeanie99 Sun 15-Nov-20 18:08:25

Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement and support, fingers crossed I can get this sorted out.

jeanie99 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:45:30

I've found 5 doors now after checking.
It seems I may be covered under the 25 year warranty so we'll see what happens. They are arranging to send someone to inspect the doors.
Thinking about the product though if it cannot withstand cooking in a kitchen because of moisture then it should not be used in a kitchen.
Thanks everyone for your comments

Callistemon Tue 17-Nov-20 10:51:49

The ones in our bathroom seem to have developed a very small crack then the laminate could be lifted clean off one but it was impossible to glue it back on satisfactorily.

They were not cheap and the large bathroom/plumbing shop where we bought them has shut down.

I hope you have more success with Wren.

Auntieflo Tue 17-Nov-20 12:23:46

Hope you have success chasing your kitchen suppliers.

One of the cabinets in our kitchen, above the toaster, has a door with the bottom edge lifting. I did manage to stick it back using a warm iron and a cloth to protect the door.
I think it must have been the rising warmth that unstuck it!

felice Tue 17-Nov-20 12:58:48

I kind of wish that would happen to mine, kitchen is 33 years old and is just so drab, DD has the same one and we have discussed ways of getting new ones but no way 'landlord' would comply.
The thing is they are all solid and working they were very expensive, just soooooo dated.
DD put really hot pans on hers and not a mark.

jeanie99 Tue 17-Nov-20 16:59:10

LOL
I loved your comment Felice made me laugh.

The thing is things years ago were made to last. We had a kitchen years back with solid wood doors, there was no way they were ever going to wear out but I got so fed up with them and we did change after about 20 years. Hubby took some persuading though.

Coolgran65 Tue 17-Nov-20 17:10:38

Same happened to my B & Q kitchen 12 years in. 3 doors up high on the opposite side of the kitchen away from cooking and moisture. We used another company and got new doors and trims.

cornergran Tue 17-Nov-20 19:18:12

jeanie if Wren don’t offer a satisfactory resolution then I suggest you look up the Furniture Ombudsman site. After a disagreement over a broken cupboard I filled in the Ombudsman forms, answered a couple of their queries and two weeks later had a call from someone at the Wren disputes department offering me the solution we had asked for initially. We were amazed at the speed. It’s worth remembering - just in case.

jeanie99 Thu 19-Nov-20 07:58:18

What I have noticed is that when the room is cold the bubbles go flatter but when the heating comes on they are more noticeable.
I am amazed at how many of you have had problems. If this material is causing problems why are they using it for kitchens and bathrooms clearly there is moisture in both. You don't have a kitchen and don't cook in it or a bathroom and it doesn't get steam.
This is madness.

Chewbacca Thu 19-Nov-20 09:01:31

From what I was told jeanie99, fluctuating temperatures in kitchens and bathrooms is precisely what causes the laminate to come away from the base fibre of the doors. Because kitchens and bathroom temperatures vary from very warm to rather cool, the vinyl is constantly expanding and contracting and that causes stress on the adhesive that fixes it to the base. This is a problem in kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors across all price ranges unfortunately, which is why some manufacturers offer a standard guarantee.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Nov-20 10:15:11

I hope you get a good response from Wren, Jeannie. I was shocked to read your story.
Our kitchen was "fitted" 40 years ago and the wooden doors are still OK but it's the innards that fall apart. Last year I have had two drawers mended by a joiner and a wall cupboard which collapsed from the inside, rebuilt. I asked if it wouldn't be cheaper to get a new kitchen but was told certainly not.

I tried to buy new carcasses but the sizes are totally different now so nothing fits.

I like to imagine my old ancient kitchen has a certain charm grin

JANBBS Fri 29-Oct-21 20:56:42

Jeannie99
I have the same issue you had with Wren kitchens with bubbling doors. Did you manage to resolve yours with them?