Gransnet forums

House and home

Cordless vacuum wanted but which one?

(88 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 16-Nov-20 16:07:24

I’m finding that my vacuum is really heavy and making my arm ache like billyo. I’ve been looking for a light cordless and can’t decide between Shark, Gtech, etc etc. They all sound marvellous until you read the reviews and they are all unsatisfactory in one way or another.

We bought our D the Gtech handheld to clean the car and she thinks it’s wonderful but on reading the reviews for the full size one, there’s so many faults found with it. I don’t particularly need a pet version and obviously it’s just for running around the carpet/wooden floor and picking up bits. I think a good old fashioned Ewbank is what I need, if there still is such a thing but with a motor! Any ideas or advice please?

B9exchange Mon 16-Nov-20 16:16:16

I have just bought a Tineco uk.tineco.com/ I hadn't heard of them, but the reviews were very good, and it is lovely and light. Comes with loads of attachments and has a light at the front for dark corners.

Best bit, DH wanted to try it out and has cleaned out my car, that is a real bonus! grin

Netty13 Mon 16-Nov-20 16:53:29

My daughter and I both bought a VAX Blade 32V. Both really delighted with it. Works well and was very reasonably priced smile. I highly recommend.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 16-Nov-20 21:11:07

I have a Dyson stick cordless and it's brilliant. These cordless cleaners are so much easier. It is very light and easy to take up and down stairs. It's quite powerful.
It needs emptying frequently and doesn't hold charge for particularly long but I don't mind as it is so much easier to use than a traditional vacuum cleaner.

Blossoming Mon 16-Nov-20 21:29:25

I have a Gtech air ram, I love it.

lemsip Mon 16-Nov-20 21:40:25

Mine's a dyson stick cordless, so pleased with it!

Cabbie21 Mon 16-Nov-20 21:41:54

I have a Shark. I described it as a Ewbank with a motor.

Janelle17 Mon 16-Nov-20 23:26:10

I have a GTech Air Ram K2 and love it. It’s like a carpet sweeper but with the power of a vacuum, very light, rechargeable and easy to empty. Also, GTech started their Black Friday sale today so it has £100 off at the moment!

lemsip Tue 17-Nov-20 08:48:32

I got £50 off of the Dyson stick cordless using a discount code from Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert site!

Franbern Tue 17-Nov-20 09:15:11

Have both GTech upright and hand held. Had them for two years now. No idea where people have found fault with these, Mine were used originally in my house, (hard floor downstairs, carpet on stairs and upstairs), and now in my (at present ) fully carpeted flat. I have absolutely no complaint with their use in any way. I am elderly, with arthritus, and between the two machines, I have everything I have ever looked for in vacuum cleaners.
Easy to use, powerful,, easy to empty and easy to charge. Fold down handle on upright makes them easy to store.

MaizieD Tue 17-Nov-20 09:23:53

No complaints at all about my Gtech apart from the fact it's made in China. If you want to be patriotic I understand that Sharks are made in the UK and are held to be very good.

Wouldn't buy a Dyson, for all sorts of reasons.

Georgesgran Tue 17-Nov-20 09:41:54

I’ve both a Gtech (upstairs) and VaxBlade. Both lightweight and easy to use, so I do vacuum much more than when I had a big upright. As another poster said they need frequent re-charging and emptying. Unfortunately I find it doesn’t take much to block the Vax and often have to dismantle it to find a long plug of debris trapped somewhere between the head and the dust container. They seem expensive for what they are, but I suppose most things are these days.

missdeke Tue 17-Nov-20 09:43:59

Definitely a Gtech, the lightest of the lot I believe and very efficient. I have a GTech K9 stick type, beige carpets and an extremely hairy, black, Ragdoll cat!!!

11unicorn Tue 17-Nov-20 09:46:46

I am a Dyson fan too - first time using it could not believe how much my other hoover had missed. Only thing I don't like, the battery does not last long, you need to charge often. Still I swear by Dyson

welshgirl2017 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:49:46

You would be hard pressed to find anything that is NOT made in China.....except really top end stuff - and even then you have to look really carefully! As for Dyson.....I always had a Dyson since their inception and was very happy with them...but not now, on principle!

Juneandarchie1 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:54:18

I have a GTech Air Ram which I love. The shark is also good

4allweknow Tue 17-Nov-20 09:55:23

My experience with Dyson uprights would put me off buying anything else made by them. Also DS has had two Dyson stick cleaners. The first one didn't last any time at all, he thought he was just unlucky bought another and that one lasted a bit longer, a whole two and a half years. He did joke, should have listened to the old folk! Bought a Vax for a fraction of the cost and it's still going (3 years). All of cleaners have poor reviews of some sort, just ho with what you think is supposed to perform best at something you really want eg hard floors better than carpets, longer lasting battery, bigger capacity and of course price.

pce612 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:55:27

I have a Shark, it’s brilliant, best prices are on their website. Light, a decent sized dust cop, very versatile. The pet attachment is powered so excellent for the car or getting into tighter spaces and is the best I’ve ever used. Good battery life too.
Used a Gtech, it was awful and wouldn’t buy a Dyson again for lots of reasons.

pce612 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:56:01

Dust cup.

Soozikinzi Tue 17-Nov-20 09:56:33

I have a shark cordless which is very light and easy to manage

Hetty58 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:56:49

The Dyson Cyclone V10 absolute is brilliant, the best, and lightest hoover I've ever had!

caci Tue 17-Nov-20 09:58:50

I have a Dyson stick cleaner. Biggest problem with this is you have to keep holding the button on whilst you are using it. Also, you can't stand it anywhere as it has to lean against a wall, or go back onto its rack.
I also have a Shark cordless, not a stick, but with the motor at the bottom. This is much easier to use as the button stays on, and it can stand up wherever you want. The model I bought came with 2 rechargable batteries.
Both have same amount of suction, and both have tiny bins which need frequent empying.

Lesley60 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:59:08

G Tech air ram for me it’s great I use it everyday and it’s so light.

winifred01 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:59:18

Tineco for me too, found Dyson much too heavy. Can't speak to highly of my Tineco brilliant!

annifrance Tue 17-Nov-20 10:01:58

I love my Gtech, but given we live on a farm I could do with it being a bit more powerful even though it is the K9.

However if I was living in an ordinary house I would be 100% satisfied. It is light, easy to empty, gets around and under things. Hand held one also very good. Even AN approves, and he was devoted to the horrible, unweildy, heavy Henry.