Gransnet forums

House and home

Paint colour advice please.

(34 Posts)
shysal Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:02

My front door needs painting. Currently it is dark teal, which I like but want a change. I fancy a dark grey, but would it go with the brass fittings, which I don't really want to replace? Any other colour suggestions would be welcome. The colour palate of flowers in the tiny garden is shades of pink.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 06-Dec-20 22:53:04

Farrow & Ball vote here they have some beautiful colours and all of them are well pigmented

Kalu Mon 07-Dec-20 00:01:28

Another vote for F & B, inside and out.
Drainpipe Grey would be my choice of grey, plus, I prefer an eggshell finish rather than gloss.

Luckylegs Mon 07-Dec-20 23:24:43

I had already bought Farrow and Ball’s Molesbreath in Eggshell for my front door but, on reading this thread this morning, immediately went back to the shop to look for the Drainpipe Grey! I didn’t find it but found Downpipe Grey which I presume is the right name? Unfortunately there was only Eggshell for interior wood and they didn’t have the exterior in stock, I bought it in the gloss but have since googled for it as I assumed it didn’t exist for exterior and found it. I’ve sent off for the primer and the Exterior Eggshell. My husband wasn’t convinced we needed special primer but, being a big believer in not spoiling the ship for an ha’pporth of tar, have sent for the lot. I hope you’re all correct about the colour, I think the Molesbreath might have been too light!

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 23:32:23

Luckylegs Farrow & Ball's Downpipe Grey is a beautiful colour, you wont regret your choice I'm sure. In the morning, I'll take a photo of my front door, which is in that colour, and post it here for you.

shysal Thu 10-Dec-20 13:57:11

I went for the F & B Downpipe Grey. It came out a little paler than I expected, but I still like it. Perhaps another time I would have chosen the Off Black.
Thank you all for the advice.

Kalu Thu 10-Dec-20 15:21:59

??‍♀️ Drainpipe Grey!! Apologies Luckylegs.

I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with Downpipe Grey.

Humus741 Wed 13-Apr-22 00:01:19

lemongrove

Any shade of grey would go well with brass door fittings, but how about a Cotswold pale green or rich cream? Or are there too many of this colour on neighbours doors already?

I don't believe you should paint the door to add a splash of color. I believe it will make the large arch appear disproportionate. Your home, in my opinion, is not appropriate for this particular trend.

I believe that painting all of the trim (including the door) a warm white that matches the windows would be a nice little upgrade. It isn't the same bang for the buck that a brightly colored door could provide for a different style of house, but it would be an upgrade, in my opinion. Here is a guide about paint for front door.

Aldom Wed 13-Apr-22 04:39:22

Humus741 This is an old thread and Shysal has painted her door Downpipe Grey.