Gransnet forums

House and home

I’ve been well and truly ‘done over’!

(84 Posts)
Luckylegs Thu 03-Dec-20 11:59:16

I’m so annoyed with myself. I’ve been ‘done’ out of £180 and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it! I saw an ad on Marketplace for internal doors which seemed ideal. The seller kept hassling me to decide, he had several others wanting them, etc, said he was setting off and was on the motorway and so on. My husband didn’t want to get them and refused to cooperate which made it worse.

Anyway, they’re rubbish, the cheapest possible, already been done to take the hinges and doors but they don’t match up with our frames. Two of them have no wood on the bottoms, one has a gouge and to top it all they aren’t the size he advertised them at!

Without much hope I messaged him later to offer him petrol money to come and take them back and give us our money back. Of course, he’s just blocked me now. I’d already screen shot his pages and photo but I don’t know his address just the town he lives in.

Is there anything I can do? I know I’ve lost the money but I want to do something to him! I don’t suppose the police will be interested. I’m going to message each of the selling pages he uses to warn people not to buy off him but is there anything else? I can’t stop crying about my stupidity and the lost money. I know people have lost more money but we are pensioners and can’t afford to lose £180!

GillT57 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:36:06

Nannan2

Don't mean to be harsh, but i can't believe there's folk still falling for this type of scam tbh.....??

Very unfair comment, and it is a very rare occurence on FB marketplace actually.

Lazypaws Fri 04-Dec-20 12:36:57

Contact the Trading people - can't think of their correct title but it's trading standards. They might know about him and if they don't, they will act. I don't know if you'll get your money back though if you gave him cash. Do you know his name?? Always assuming he didn't use a false one, you can get the operator to check his number and you might get his mobile that way.

Luckylegs Fri 04-Dec-20 12:49:47

Hi thanks for all your replies. I know his name and address and loads of other people have come forward with tales of how he scammed them. Him and his girlfriend seem to make a living from it. I’ve got him blocked on some selling sites and am making a nuisance of myself every time he posts by announcing AVOID AVOID AVOID and an explanation but it’s going to be impossible to get my money back I think.

I know what you’re all saying and I’d be saying the same thing about buyer beware etc but it’s so difficult when you’re being hassled and you have zero experience of doors! I know more now. I will try to ring the local police and Trading Standards. I’ve been asked to tell a certain police officer and his Housing Association about him as he’s a nuisance to the neighbourhood and they want him out so I’ve done that.

It’s taken over my life for two days now and upset me very much. My H says I should get over it but it’s helping me to channel my annoyance and embarrassment into trying to inconvenience him at the very least.

You’ve all come up with some very helpful suggestions. I too scoff when I hear of stupid people being suckered in and I’ll have more sympathy in future. Perhaps one person might reflect on that and not rub salt in the wound?

GillT57 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:54:44

Well done Luckylegs, it sounds as if you are taking the correct steps to stop this happening to others, as you say, it is easy to be swept along by someone who is a confident and experienced swindler and con artist, we can all be wise after the event. Don't let him get under your skin, it sounds as if everything is closing in on him anyway.

mphammersley Fri 04-Dec-20 12:56:57

Lots of good advice here, maybe Citizens advice might help too. Good luck!

Kim19 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:01:47

Nannan2, I seriously hope you never have to eat your words. I would have thought something similar to you (but not so brutally) until yesterday until I was tricked myself. Really thought I was on the ball with the trickster stuff. Not so.

David0205 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:05:33

If it’s a private seller it’s very difficult, if the item is blatantly misdescribed in writing and he will not refund all you can do is take him to the small claims court, if he still won’t refund you have to get a bailiff to seize his property.

If you paid in advance you could have inspected the doors and refused to accept them, having accepted them puts you on the back foot. Buying on EBay with PayPal gives you a lot of protection because they will not release the payment if you complain, private sellers usually use PayPal instead of credit cards online.

Jaye53 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:08:23

Trading standards so you have to give as much detail as possible. make notes of everything. Good luck

seacliff Fri 04-Dec-20 13:20:12

flowers for you Luckylegs, I know how I'd feel. So sorry, could happen to anyone, some of these people are so convincing. Just a nasty criminal who does it all the time by the sound of it. Hope Karma comes and bites him on the bum big time.

Hope you can eventually let it go and get on with your life.

Newatthis Fri 04-Dec-20 13:25:24

Recently I was almost scammed out of my life savings by someone on Marketplace. I was selling something and they said they would send a courier but I had to give my bank details so they could transfer the money and to click the link in the email that the courier would send. BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!!! If it sounds a bit fishy then it is.

curlz Fri 04-Dec-20 13:36:32

You could try and get your money back through a small claims court but tat would cost time and money and you would have to find out all his details. Personally I would chalk it up to experience and vow never to buy that way again

RosesAreRed21 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:37:50

How awful for you - what a vile man.

ExaltedWombat Fri 04-Dec-20 13:40:26

Hard luck! Yes, report it to Marketplace but I'm afraid, barring miracles, you've lost the £180. A larger amount might be worth pursuing.
Didn't you LOOK at them before handing over the money? But no sense in beating yourself up over it now.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:45:45

I really feel for you, I’d try and contact trading standards and give them as much details as you can, can you report him to Facebook market place, I think nowadays you have to be so careful when you buy things, so many scammers about now,

Albangirl14 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:28:13

I belong to a Reuse and Recycle site on Facebook and all posts are Moderated . If your site has a moderator you should let them know then that person is banned from posting again.

4allweknow Fri 04-Dec-20 14:50:35

Were they advertised as secondhand (not familiar with Marketplace). I thought with anything purchased online the purchaser has a legal right to reject the item and receive full refund. Contact your local trading standards office, this person may be well known for scamming people and they will certainly be able to advise you of your rights.

Greciangirl Fri 04-Dec-20 15:00:55

There was a program on ITV the other night about scams.

Never pay cash. Use a credit card so you are covered.

How did you pay him Luckylegs?

LaRia44 Fri 04-Dec-20 15:10:53

merlotgran

Name and shame him on facebook and ask others to share it. Make sure you mention the town.

Exactly Merlotgran,
I’ve seen this sort of scam named and shamed on our local Facebook page, it works sometimes when other people share.
OP, find his local FB page and post the info you have.
Good Luck

Rosy2 Fri 04-Dec-20 15:53:36

I know it’s really difficult but let it go because you are doing yourself harm with all these feelings you have. Just forgive yourself and I’m sure all of us on here have done much worse.please don’t make yourself poorly over this as people like him aren’t worth your energy. I’m so sorry for you but put it behind you if you can for your own sake.

Caro57 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:45:21

Trading Standards and get as much information about him out on social media through friends and family - b*****D, these people need hanging out to dry!

MamaCaz Fri 04-Dec-20 17:04:18

Well done with what you have done so far, Luckylegs.

I know that in your position, I couldn't just let it go either, or "get over it" as your H says you should.
Like you, I would want to channel the annoyance and embarrassment into inconveniencing them or hopefully even stopping them in their tracks, as it seems you've managed to identify them through your efforts so far.
Keep up the good work flowers

harrigran Fri 04-Dec-20 18:01:44

This man appears to be a habitual criminal, I don't see why the police can not pursue him.

Frogs Fri 04-Dec-20 20:41:51

The annoying part of all this I'm thinking is that there's nothing to stop this person from setting up another FB profile with a different name and starting his 'business' all over again,.

Luckylegs Fri 04-Dec-20 23:58:21

It’s all coming out now, if you’re interested! They are on benefits, in a brand new house, he’s dealing in drugs which they take (smoke?) in front of the kids. She can’t leave the house or drive and he’s been banned from driving. She drove the car here, sat in it with the engine running (dressed in a dressing gown!) and I forced her to put the window down because our drive is a nightmare to back down and I was warning her, she never looked away from her phone, then drove away. She’s been confronted by a friend and denied it was her, nothing to do with her. They cause a lot of trouble for the neighbours who want them out. More to follow in a minute.......

Luckylegs Sat 05-Dec-20 00:07:06

Sorry, I just wanted to check my facts. So many people are messaging about them, it’s unbelievable! She’s saying she’s disabled, can’t drive, doesn’t own a car etc etc. So - guess who is going to be contacting every department and agency I can think of?

I am a bit nervous when I think he knows where we live and I wouldn’t like to think what he’s probably capable of.

He messaged me last night saying I was a liar and those were brand new doors, only one month old and nothing wrong with them. If I wasn’t so ashamed of my stupidity, I’d show you the photos but it’s terribly embarrassing to admit to it all.

One thing, so many people have offered to pay for doors for us, want to start a Go fund me page, are offering to come and help, that it’s so lovely to know how wonderful people are really and it’s just the scum of the earth who do these sort of things! Bless you all as well for your good wishes.