Gransnet forums

House and home

I’ve been well and truly ‘done over’!

(84 Posts)
Luckylegs Thu 03-Dec-20 11:59:16

I’m so annoyed with myself. I’ve been ‘done’ out of £180 and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it! I saw an ad on Marketplace for internal doors which seemed ideal. The seller kept hassling me to decide, he had several others wanting them, etc, said he was setting off and was on the motorway and so on. My husband didn’t want to get them and refused to cooperate which made it worse.

Anyway, they’re rubbish, the cheapest possible, already been done to take the hinges and doors but they don’t match up with our frames. Two of them have no wood on the bottoms, one has a gouge and to top it all they aren’t the size he advertised them at!

Without much hope I messaged him later to offer him petrol money to come and take them back and give us our money back. Of course, he’s just blocked me now. I’d already screen shot his pages and photo but I don’t know his address just the town he lives in.

Is there anything I can do? I know I’ve lost the money but I want to do something to him! I don’t suppose the police will be interested. I’m going to message each of the selling pages he uses to warn people not to buy off him but is there anything else? I can’t stop crying about my stupidity and the lost money. I know people have lost more money but we are pensioners and can’t afford to lose £180!

Auntieflo Sat 05-Dec-20 08:12:18

Well done you Lucklegs, for being tenacious and not just letting it go, and also lovely that people are willing to help fund your doors, and / or , the chase!
I am keeping my fingers well and truly crossed that they are caught and punished. When there are many good hearted folk around, you just need the one bad one to spoil it for all.
Good luck.

MrsThreadgoode Sat 05-Dec-20 08:32:11

Well I admire your tenacity as well, but ...........

he actually delivered the doors to you, to your home?

And you saw them before he left?

And you still paid him?

He might be a small time criminal but you had the opportunity to refuse them and you passed it up.

Luckylegs Sat 05-Dec-20 11:19:27

Thanks so much for pointing out the b......g obvious. I know. I said I was stupid in my original post. I didn’t know a lot about doors then. Are you a joiner or knowledgeable about doors?

fevertree Sat 05-Dec-20 12:01:29

Luckylegs I was given very wise advice years ago "Never sh*t on anyone for a mistake they are already beating themselves up about". And: "No one ever learnt anything from being told they are stupid".

The bottom line here is, you were cheated out of your money by a clever crook.

flowers for you.

ExD Sat 05-Dec-20 12:10:41

I'm with fevertree anyone can be caught out, however computer savvy they are.
Have you seen that big advert on Facebook for a large, wonderful, powerful torch in a case with charger etc? Supposedly worth over £100 each - yours for a mere £20 odd!
Don't fall for it.
The torches are tiny, the chargers have continental connections and don't charge anyway and its impossible to contact the seller.
My husband was well and truly scammed, but I didn't spot a problem either though I did think it was too good to be true (it was). I hope he can be as tenacious as you.

Rangimarie Sat 05-Dec-20 13:54:33

This should help.
awajis.com/howto/facebook-marketplace-rules-and-regulations/

MrsThreadgoode Sun 06-Dec-20 09:51:53

Lucklegs I wasn’t agreeing with you that you were stupid! You thought that you were by buying good quality used goods, (which unless you were buying 6 doors certainly weren’t cheap) but you failed to check them.
However, I don’t think it was classed as a scam as you saw the goods but still bought them.
My point was that once the Police or Trading standards or any other body that could help you know this, you will be unable to take any actions against the sellers.
It always is ‘buyer beware’ and there are always people ready to take advantage of others who wouldn’t dream of selling goods that aren’t fit for purpose, which is where you and your DH stand.
People who are cheated aren’t stupid, the blame always lies with the perpetrators.

LadyJus Mon 07-Dec-20 01:49:41

For any type of online fraud, mis-selling, scam, phishing, counterfeit goods, extortion etc, the police have a department just for that;

www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Please report as officers will collate information and have successfully prosecuted fb 'traders'.