Gransnet forums

House and home

Mattress

(29 Posts)
helena Mon 18-Jan-21 16:07:01

I’m after recommendations for a new king size mattress. I’ve looked at the Hybrid mattresses online, but I’m a bit unsure as to whether the memory foam in them will make me too warm! They say they have a ‘cool’ layer, but I’m not convinced! We don’t want to pay out for one of these and end up overheated and uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Might have to stick with a new coil sprung one. Any recommendations for these too?

MiniMoon Mon 18-Jan-21 16:12:20

I have a foam mattress. I bought an emma mattress last Spring. I have not been too warm, and I still suffer hot flushes at night. I'm very happy with it.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 16:13:47

I was worried about that too but I can honestly say it hasn’t been a problem.

The memory foam is so much more comfortable for my tender hip (just the one at the mo). I wouldn’t go back to sprung.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 16:14:14

It came from Dreams.

Patsy70 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:00:44

There was an earlier thread on this subject Helena, which you might find helpful.

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:02:52

The best mattress I ever had was 50/50 memory foam and box springs. It was like sleeping on a cloud.

GagaJo Mon 18-Jan-21 17:11:09

I had a combined memory foam/sprung mattress a couple of years ago. Never again. SO hot in summer. Because in effect, you are sleeping on plastic.

Mollygo Mon 18-Jan-21 18:27:10

We have an iGel combination memory foam and spring mattress. It’s really comfortable and not too warm in summer, even for my DH (and we have fleecy bedding in winter).
For years before that we had a memory foam mattress that came rolled up. It was fun to watch it swell up.
The essential advice we were given was to turn the bedclothes back every morning to air the mattress.
My only complaint about the newer one is the weight.

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-21 22:07:34

I have never found a memory foam mattress too warm. My current one even has an extra layer of memory foam as an additional 'topper' as I love the feeling of being supported like floating.

Hetty58 Mon 18-Jan-21 22:16:05

I find the Emma mattress really comfortable. It's not too hot like the original memory foam ones (that you'd sink into) and has a 200 day 'trial' period, so you can return it if it doesn't suit.

HappyBor Tue 27-Jul-21 17:56:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

25Avalon Tue 27-Jul-21 18:06:14

We have a Harrison Spinks mattress containing Yorkshire wool. It is very comfortable, environmentally friendly, and doesn’t get too hot in summer or too cold in winter. It is very good for allergies and is flame retardant. Worth having a look at their website.

If you can it’s worth going into a bed store and trying several out. I did going in for memory foam and coming out with Harrison wool.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 27-Jul-21 19:55:10

I wonder with ‘trial periods’ offered with mattresses what they do with them if returned ?

gt66 Tue 27-Jul-21 20:14:45

www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Rest-Assured-Minerva-2000-Pocket-Silk-Mattress-P1027

I can thoroughly recommended this mattress, bought 6 months ago and no complaints.

seacliff Tue 27-Jul-21 20:19:36

I have just bought a new mattress and am very pleased with it. I knew I didn't want foam as I hate the feel and the heat.

I did a lot of research, and decided to go for pocket sprung (better than coil apparently) with some natural filling. I tried them in various shops. I wanted fairly firm as I am heavy. I wanted side stitching, and one that can be turned.

There is a lot of useful info on this bed web site. johnryanbydesign.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D80X4kSegT4RcBJbOEI0bFnzhBERr61xDStJqnIXaZPuBM37z-JC88aAmsTEALw_wcB

I got one online from Warren Evans with a genuine 40 day return or exchange. It was good value for what I got. warrenevans.com/mattresses/

Lincslass Tue 27-Jul-21 22:25:58

My favourite mattress, the one they use in Premier Inn. From Hypnos.

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Jul-21 01:06:55

BEWARE!
The Premier Inn bed that they sell for domestic purposes is NOT the same specification as the one you sleep on in the hotel.

The one advertised on the hotel website is an altogether cheaper mattress. They imply it's the same but it is not.

Jane43 Wed 28-Jul-21 01:42:20

We have a Tempur memory foam mattress and it is far superior to anything we have had before and we have never found it hot. My friend and her husband both have health and sleeping problems and got a Tempur at our recommendation and they are delighted with it. We had another type of memory foam mattress on the spare bed but there was no comparison with the Tempur. We replaced it with a hybrid mattress which was slightly better but not as good as the Tempur - they are expensive but worth every penny.

Jane43 Wed 28-Jul-21 01:44:08

Greeneyedgirl

I wonder with ‘trial periods’ offered with mattresses what they do with them if returned ?

I have seen them advertised as ‘reconditioned mattresses’ on sites like Groupon.

Katyj Wed 28-Jul-21 04:18:08

Hypnos mattress here too. Very comfortable.

Lincslass Wed 28-Jul-21 07:41:18

NotSpaghetti

BEWARE!
The Premier Inn bed that they sell for domestic purposes is NOT the same specification as the one you sleep on in the hotel.

The one advertised on the hotel website is an altogether cheaper mattress. They imply it's the same but it is not.

As my daughter has one, she would disagree with that statement.

Witzend Wed 28-Jul-21 08:08:48

Dd and Sil bought a 2nd hand super-king memory foam mattress they thought was a real bargain.
But they soon found it too hot and sold it on. They are both naturally warm types though.

Esspee Wed 28-Jul-21 08:15:28

Memory foam mattresses are awful. So hot and clingy.

H1954 Wed 28-Jul-21 08:16:50

We have iGel combination mattresses.......we opted for a new king size bed and chose two single mattresses to fit it. So much easier to handle.....you cannot flip them over but we do spin them round top to toe and swap mattresses as OH is somewhat heavier and taller than me. We also have single duvets which are so much easier to put inside the duvet covers.

overthehill Wed 28-Jul-21 08:27:45

Hate our mattresses we've had for a few years now. They are Sealey. You cannot flip them over, the covers bobble and hubs one developed mysterious yellow stains, no not urine or tea.