Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone regretted getting rid of their bath

(54 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:10:17

My friend has recently moved 6M ago, and they bought a bungalow but it has a large double walk in shower which she says is great, but after a busy day at work she says she misses her bath so much! I really miss having a good soak she moans! Anyone else regretting no bath

Tweedle24 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:11:02

Feanbern Whilst that is true in many cases, some disabilities preclude even that. My husband’s Parkinsons made it impossible for him to get in and out of the bath, even with grab rails and a bath seat.

We contacted Age U.K. for advice, thinking that one of those baths with a door at the side might do. The advisor was an Occupational Therapist and he would not recommend them. I am so pleased we had the walk in shower. As his condition deteriorated, he could, with a little help get into the walk-in shower and sit on the fold-down seat. There are shower curtains and doors that reach approximately to my waist. It meant I could shower him without getting wet myself.

After my knee replacement I felt much safer in his shower, with the seat, than the one in the en-suite which has quite a high step into it.

HurdyGurdy Mon 01-Feb-21 11:37:45

No . Not a single regret. In 25 years living here, the only person to have a bath was the dog. We are all shower people.

Except my grandson, who hates showers and getting water on his face (autistic) so when he comes to visit, we have an inflatable paddling pool in the shower for him.

I never really "got" baths. The idea of lying in dirty water has no appeal grin

Franbern Mon 01-Feb-21 11:31:38

There are so very many aids for helping people get into and out of baths safely. Sad when people say they have been unable to use their bath for years - when that could be so quickly sorted out. When I had my bathroom re-done, I did have a lower than average bath installed (cannot see the difference in looking at it), and have a tall safety handle clamped at the end I get out. This can easily be removed, but is firm and gives me support, not just for the bath, but if any of my guests need to use it to climb into the bath for the shower.

EkwaNimitee Sun 31-Jan-21 19:29:06

A bath is useful even if you yourself don’t bathe in it. Useful for washing your hair over it, bathing young children and dogs, washing mats etc

HannahLoisLuke Sun 31-Jan-21 12:07:46

I’d never get rid of my bath. I use it more than the shower and can wash my hair in it as it has a hand held shower attachment fitted to the taps.
I wouldn’t buy a house that didn’t have a bath and they’re essential for young children, you can’t really put a one year old in the shower unless you go in with them and that’s a real performance.

Deedaa Sun 31-Jan-21 11:41:55

After DH had a fall in the bath a lovely occupational therapist organised a bath seat for him. My life was revolutionised. I could sit on it to help have a shower and I could raise myself down into the bath and back up again, something I hadn't been able to do safely for several years. Sadly when he died I had to give it back but after 18 months of showers I am definitely going to get my own.

ayokunmi1 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:32:03

I have both never soak in the bath and use the shower room.
if I'm away on a break I do tend to have a soak.

Charleygirl5 Thu 28-Jan-21 11:42:03

I have not been able to get in and out of a bath for many years. When I leave here it will either be feet first or I will be so ga-ga I will not be bothered about its resale value. I do love my shower especially as there is sufficient room for a stool which I need because I have balance problems. I am not a fan of old age.

SuzannahM Thu 28-Jan-21 11:35:45

maytime2 one of the apartments we used to stay in in the NE had a shower like that - basically a shower area you had to step up into. You could sit on the bottom step with your feet in the water and soap yourself down then stand up and shower.

Might have been nicer in a lovely warm bathroom but after the first night it was a quick shower and out for me.

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Jan-21 11:27:09

I've never liked soaking in a bath and recently gutted and refitted the bathroom. I had a bath fitted knowing full well I'll never use it but others in the house will. They said I should please myself as it's my house but I still had a bath fitted. I also have a state of the art shower installed over the bath. I'm disabled and it's an effort to get into the bath but it keeps me fit climbing in and out and I'm not unsteady on my feet. I do however have a no step walk in shower downstairs to futureproof the house. I think a four bedroom house with no bath is daft but in a retirement bungalow perfectly acceptable.

maytime2 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:40:55

I went on holiday to the Puglia region of Italy some years ago. The shower in the my bedroom had a step of about 2 ft. to get into. Inside there was a ledge about 18 ins from the bottom. The shower itself had a plug which meant you could use it as a conventional shower, or with the plug in and by sitting on the ledge it became a type of slipper bath.
I hope I've described it clearly enough so that you can picture it.
What I'm trying to say is that with that type of shower, the need for a bath in many instances would be negated. I suppose you would need to be reasonably fit to make use of it, but it would be much easier than trying to get out of a bath. I for one need to use a bath for medical reasons.
The funny thing is, that although I have travelled quite extensively, I have never seen anything similar anywhere else.

yggdrasil Thu 28-Jan-21 09:50:47

My bungalow has a shower only. I do sometimes dream of a long soak in a bath, but realistically I didn't use the bath in my previous house because I couldn't be sure of getting out again

Franbern Thu 28-Jan-21 09:09:12

Just to add, that any property that is likely to sell to people with a young family then a bath becomes an absolute must. Bathtime each evening for toddlers and young children with all the toys in there is one of the best daily times with this age group. So, even if us oldies are hoping to have any of our younger g.children (or ggchildred) staying with us for times, then having a bath is important.

SueDonim Wed 27-Jan-21 18:35:50

I’d never buy a house without a bath, or where a bath could be easily installed. I don’t get on with showers, never feel properly clean in them and find them chilly. We have two main bathrooms, both with over-bath showers. When my dd comes home (not often doing Covid times!) the first thing she does is run herself a hot bath and wallow in it for hours.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:28:04

We lost our bath when it was removed to make room for a big walk-in shower with fold down seat when husband was struggling with his Parkinsons. The en-suite only has room for a shower. Since he died I have considered getting the bath reinstated but am aware that the facilities in the bathroom for the disabled might become useful for me at some point.

I do sometimes dream of a nice long soak in bubbles with a good book ?

Framilode Wed 27-Jan-21 17:18:58

We had our bath removed for a walk in shower. We also have a shower in our small en suite.
It might put a few people off (ex EA here) but it could be replaced without major expense.
I occasionally miss a bath, especially on cold days, but we never used it when we had it.
We have 2 baths in our house in Spain and never use those either.

Lollin Wed 27-Jan-21 17:00:37

A young person on Kirsty & Phil's 'Love it or List it' last week, I think, wanted to move to a house with a bath as they only had a shower. I think having both is a must for the differing stages of life whether that be bathing small children , soothing the days stress/aches away or in my friend's case, medical help for healing (I won't go into details).

sodapop Wed 27-Jan-21 16:55:32

We have two shower rooms no bath. I have arthritis and am unable to get out of a bath once in. It's a struggle to have an all over wash if I stay with friends without a shower.
I don't miss having a bath, I find a shower cleaner and more refreshing.

rockgran Wed 27-Jan-21 16:52:24

I miss it occasionally after gardening but found a massage mattress (which cost about £50) helps with muscle aches.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 27-Jan-21 16:52:20

We are considering this at the moment, but we have two bathrooms. We mainly shower anyway, so I’d like a lovely big shower room in our en suite. If we want to bath, we’ve got the other one. Not sure if we only had one bathroom. I think we still might, as getting in and out of a bath could be tricky as we get older. I do think showers are generally more in demand now than baths, and it could help you to sell your house easier if you wished to.

grannysyb Wed 27-Jan-21 16:45:15

We have a bathroom with shower over the bath, and a shower room. DH doesn't like baths, I usually shower. As I have skin problems at the moment I had a bath recently with moisturizer in it. Despite being reasonably fit I found it very difficult to get out! Not doing that again soon!

Elusivebutterfly Wed 27-Jan-21 16:43:21

The only thing stopping me getting rid of my bath is the risk that it could make my house harder to sell.
I never use the bath as I can't get in and never much enjoyed a long soak anyway. It's definitely not something I think helps aches and pains.
I only have an over bath shower and have fallen getting into it. I would prefer a shower cubicle and no bath - the bathroom is not big enough for both.
I wonder how many people would be put off buying a house with no bath?

Sar53 Wed 27-Jan-21 16:31:53

We had a new bathroom installed about 3 years ago, took out the bath, which neither of us ever used, and had a large walk in shower put in. We love it. We also have an en-suite with a small shower that doesn't get used.

eazybee Wed 27-Jan-21 16:31:33

I am disappointed when I stay in a hotel ( remember that !), and the bath has been replaced by a state of the art shower; that is just the time to enjoy a long soak while someone else prepares your meal.

Jane10 Wed 27-Jan-21 16:20:25

We changed our bath for a large shower after my knee replacements. That really helped. However, I sometimes long for a soak in a bath if I could only get in and out of the damn things!