Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone regretted getting rid of their bath

(53 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:10:17

My friend has recently moved 6M ago, and they bought a bungalow but it has a large double walk in shower which she says is great, but after a busy day at work she says she misses her bath so much! I really miss having a good soak she moans! Anyone else regretting no bath

Sara1954 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:14:45

I would never get rid of my bath

TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:17:26

No I won’t either, Sara1954 Would have to have the choice of both

Shandy57 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:17:52

I was looking at purchasing a property without a bath and decided I definitely needed one - to bath the dog, mainly!

BlueBelle Wed 27-Jan-21 13:18:05

I have a bath but haven’t bathed in it for about 20 years always use my shower

PollyDolly Wed 27-Jan-21 13:18:45

Definitely not! There was a bath in our house when we bought it but the bathroom itself was awful and we decided t would get a complete refit as soon as possible. During the few months that we were waiting for the new one we both slipped whilst getting out of the bath, no serious injuries but there could have been! There are other ways to relax and no one drowned in a shower after being knocked unconscious during a fall!

Greyduster Wed 27-Jan-21 13:20:37

Yes, I do now. We had it taken out, ironically, because we hardly ever used it and put in a walk in shower, but this past year I have been plagued with aches and pains and there have been times when a soak in a bath would have been heaven.

Dragonella Wed 27-Jan-21 13:24:21

Trendy Maybe your friend could buy a hot tub for the garden?

EllanVannin Wed 27-Jan-21 13:25:28

I certainly do miss a bath. A shower is great as I can do my hair at the same time, but you can't beat a good soak in a full bath. I'd give anything for relaxing in a bath now and again.

silverlining48 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:36:38

I would miss my bath. Can still get out by turning onto my knees and pushing up. Dislike a shower as if i have to close my eyes because water gets in I can and do lose my balance.
Was told by a consultant that for those with inner ear problems the eyes take over to manage balance and if those eyes are closed or its dark then balance is affected, and not in a good way. He recommended leaving a light on at night.
I hope my knees stay good for a while yet.

Beechnut Wed 27-Jan-21 13:39:56

I regret keeping ours and not going for the walk in shower. We kept the (new) bath on the advice of someone that it would be better to keep as to house selling point. We’ve never sold and I’ve no plans to at the moment so I think it was daft idea to have followed. A new owner is likely to refurbish.

missingmarietta Wed 27-Jan-21 13:40:46

I would never not have a bath, I would miss it too much. So relaxing to have a long, hot soak.
Showers can be quick and invigorating so there's a case for both.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:41:15

She would probably like that Dragonella

LauraNorder Wed 27-Jan-21 13:47:34

When we moved to France in 2013 our new house had showers only. Friends in the UK used to ask what I missed and I’d say grandchildren, crumpets and a bath. When we came back in 2017 we made sure we had at least one bath in the house. I used it once.
Orlin uses it sometimes after a day digging the garden, but we mostly shower. Nice to have the choice I suppose.

Jaxjacky Wed 27-Jan-21 13:52:54

I love a bath sometimes, also useful for washing small grandchildren in, they don’t like the shower.

timetogo2016 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:57:33

Getting rid of a bath de-values a property.
X bil is an estate agent and he adviced us not to.
So our bath is staying put even though we only ever shower.

silverlining48 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:03:20

I found my 60 s wedding dress in a bag in the loft recently and following utube guidance, successfully washed it in my bath with pleasing results.

Esspee Wed 27-Jan-21 14:04:43

We removed the bath in the downstairs bathroom but kept one upstairs. It was with the intention of “future proofing” the property. When we become less agile we can live downstairs and by that time it will be showers only.
In the meantime I love my daily bath. OH prefers a shower.

patcaf Wed 27-Jan-21 14:26:41

Not really. Gave us room for large walk in showers. Nether of us have used a bath for the past twenty years so no practical reason for one. The impact on a house sale when most buyers change the bathrooms and kitchens anyway will be minimal.

SpringyChicken Wed 27-Jan-21 14:38:01

We removed our bath about four years ago, never regretted it. I'd never worry pleasing people who MIGHT want to buy our house one day.

M0nica Wed 27-Jan-21 14:39:22

Get rid of my bath? Never, never, never. The one in the bathroom I use dates to the 1960s, it is wide and has a lovely sloping back. When we gutted the downstairs bathroom and installed a new one upstairs, the bath was kept. If we sell, I will try and take it with me!!

We do also have a shower in another bathroom. It is not very big and DH is currently using it until he is well enough to get in and out of the bath again.

Franbern Wed 27-Jan-21 14:43:37

When looking at flats, my tick list for MUST HAVES included, preferably two bathrooms (one with a bath and one with a shower) or else a four piece bathroom,. The flat I bought had the first. However, I quickly discovered that the bath in my flat was a small corner one - and one of my large expenses has been to have the replaced (which involved having a totally new bathroom). Worthwhile,though, lovely bath, double shower over (for guests). It did used to surprise me when looking at flats how many of them which had been built originally with an en-suite shower room and a separate bathroom (as I now have) and these were both had showers.

Showers are wonderful for daily use, but there is nothing that beat a warm or hot bath on certain occasions. I am fortunate that I have both.

GagaJo Wed 27-Jan-21 14:45:54

I have lived for a year and a half without a bath. I wouldn't use it daily if I had one BUT once a week or so, for a relax, I would love it.

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 14:49:21

I can’t get in or out of a bath. I do miss having a lovely soak though.

Shinamae Wed 27-Jan-21 14:52:32

BlueBelle

I have a bath but haven’t bathed in it for about 20 years always use my shower

And me BlueBelle