Gransnet forums

House and home

Online Delivery

(38 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:15:45

Hello all .
Having my second online delivery from Tesco’s had my first one with tray liners which the driver took the out of the trays and put them on the mat inside my front door as I requested didn’t want him coming in the house it was a bit difficult as they were small liners .

Question is having a delivery this week and have requested no liners so how will he just empty items onto the mat out of the trays at the door so how do you manger your deliveries?

I have thought of having large bags waiting at the inside of my front door I would appreciate your views as so many of you GN have home delivery .
Thank you .

vampirequeen Sun 07-Mar-21 11:20:49

I have bags at the door and just empty the baskets into them then take them to the kitchen myself. It makes life easier.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 11:21:39

I have everything bagged up in thin plastic bags---which I'd requested. They burn easily in a garden bin with other rubbish so I don't feel guilty. It only costs a few coppers more rather than have your groceries strewn on the floor.

MissChateline Sun 07-Mar-21 11:28:36

Our deliveries arrive in carrier bags which the driver puts just inside our front door. We then carry them downstairs to the kitchen. As from next week Ocado will be collecting used bags.
I’m not sure what the problem is. No I don’t sanitise my shopping as I don’t feel that this is necessary.
I’m not sure that burning plastic bags is at all environmentally sound. Can they not be reused?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:36:10

Like VQ we have bags by the front door ready and waiting, Delivery driver puts crates on the step, then steps back, we take food out of crates into bags.

Largolass Sun 07-Mar-21 11:50:54

Driver leaves the crates just inside our front door and my DH carries them through to the kitchen where I unpack only takes 10 minutes.

glammanana Sun 07-Mar-21 12:32:41

I always pay for my orders to be delivered in bags even if I need 6/7 bags it still only costs 40p and makes life so much easier than taking out of delivery tray and rebagging at the doorstep.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 12:37:00

Bags are useful anyway to use as bin liners, for garden rubbish, packing inside parcels boxes
I don’t have deliveries but if I did I couldn’t go through the exchanging at the doorstep technique

Peasblossom Sun 07-Mar-21 12:59:37

Oh, we’ve just been leaving those big blue IKEA bags out and expecting the deliverer to unload into them. He always does.

I feel a bit guilty now. It didn’t even occur to me that I would be expected to do it myself?

Septimia Sun 07-Mar-21 13:08:31

We met the driver at the gate and decanted everything into the wheelbarrow!

Of course, I realise that won't work for everyone!

Hetty58 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:18:33

Waitrose rapid deliver everything in double brown paper sacks. I re-use and/or compost them. With other shops I have the bags and use them to pick up doogie doo in the garden.

EllanVannin, you should feel guilty! Burning plastic bags is terrible!

Jaxjacky Sun 07-Mar-21 13:29:21

Same as Grannygravy13

Annapops Sun 07-Mar-21 14:47:10

Our delivery comes in crates to our front porch. The driver steps away while we pack goods into plastic curver boxes which we then take through to the kitchen. For a short while our delivery was coming in free plastic bags which was such a waste as the driver wouldn't take them back. Our plastic box system works really well.

rite Sun 07-Mar-21 15:06:53

I have had deliveries from Tesco, Sainsbury, Ocado and Iceland over the last year. They rock up with everything in crates leave them at my front door and step back. I then empty it in my large plastic laundry basket and slide it to the kitchen! I think Ocado is taking bags back from tomorrow.

Alishka Sun 07-Mar-21 15:15:40

Morrisons deliver everything in placcy bags handily labelled Fridge/Freezer/cupboard. They will collect the bags on their next trip. Not mine, tho..I use them for my kitchen rubbish and they then go in the big bins outside.

Birdwatcher4 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:53:15

Thank you all the Tesco bags are just what they are liners you cant catch hold of them like carrier bags liners are the only choice , so i will have have bags waiting as some of you have said.
The liners are not very reusable given the size of them Tesco,s reason is it wants to reduce plastic ?‍♀️

Kittye Sun 07-Mar-21 16:07:44

Waitrose deliver mine in plastic bags , which I reuse for rubbish. Those I don’t use I return to driver the following week.

Franbern Sun 07-Mar-21 16:13:57

Glad I do not have the faff of all of this. Go to Sainsbury myself each week. Take my own bags with me (would not use plastic ones at all anymore), Once back home those two bags go into my wheeled trolley which goes up, in the lift, to my flat where I can take my time putting away my shopping. Easy and quick, at the supermarket I use the zapper, so everything goes directly into my bags. Leave home around 9.00 am and am back indoors having unpacked by 10.30. Also gives my car a weekly run.

grannysyb Sun 07-Mar-21 16:28:56

I'm with Franbern, done shopping myself since the beginning. I have a fairly small Tesco nearby, they have sanitiser for hands and trolleys, you have to go in at the back and out at the front, I've always felt pretty safe in there. I don't bother to quarantine or wipe the shopping either.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 16:48:24

Hetty58 the bags are so flimsy they border on useless if re-used as they're usually cut with the cardboard packaging or anything sharp. I can't re-use them and they don't bio-degrade so burning is the only way.
If only most rubbish was burned, it would cut down the mounds that you see at tips.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 16:50:50

At least no dog-poo goes in my bin !
Why are people always ready for a dig ?

kittylester Sun 07-Mar-21 16:53:37

Well, I had Sainsbury's bags for life when I went to Sainsbury's and I empty my delivery into those, carry them into the kitchen and unpack them. The worst part for me is doing the online shop.

Mollygo Sun 07-Mar-21 17:06:24

Never managed to get a delivery so, like Franbern I’m an early shopper, zap with my phone and bag whilst shopping. Rarely get a plastic bag, but if I do it’s used for bin liner.

welbeck Sun 07-Mar-21 17:14:20

i don't understand why people are so anti plastic bags, they are very useful. what do you line your rubbish bins with, or do you buy bin liners...

Whiff Sun 07-Mar-21 17:18:31

I have been having Sainsbury's delivery since November 2003 . Since my husband was terminal with cancer. And have it still since I moved. Shopping used to come in plastic bags . But they went plastic free. The driver puts the crates on my door step , steps back and I load up my bags which I have all ready. I don't drive so home so home deliveries are great. When I used to go to my local Aldi I would go in by bus and have taxi home. That was for my top up shop. Sainsbury's is my main shop every 6 weeks.