Gransnet forums

House and home

Online Delivery

(39 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:15:45

Hello all .
Having my second online delivery from Tesco’s had my first one with tray liners which the driver took the out of the trays and put them on the mat inside my front door as I requested didn’t want him coming in the house it was a bit difficult as they were small liners .

Question is having a delivery this week and have requested no liners so how will he just empty items onto the mat out of the trays at the door so how do you manger your deliveries?

I have thought of having large bags waiting at the inside of my front door I would appreciate your views as so many of you GN have home delivery .
Thank you .

Pittcity Sun 07-Mar-21 17:22:40

Do you remember when you could buy a handled plastic box at Sainsbury or Tesco which you put in your trolley to fill with scan it yourself stuff.
We have found several in sheds and garage while clearing out for house move. Very useful.

Lexisgranny Sun 07-Mar-21 17:25:22

We have two tables inside the front door, they are small, one large would do just as well. On one we place a large plastic box. The driver puts the crate alongside, my husband fills it to an easy manageable weight and then takes it through to the kitchen. Meanwhile I place a second plastic box on the table and return to the kitchen to unload the initial one. We repeat the process until finished. This system works for us because there is no heavy carrying or bending. Eve. With a large order, this can be completed in half an hour at the most.

PamelaJ1 Sun 07-Mar-21 17:31:27

EllanVannin

I have everything bagged up in thin plastic bags---which I'd requested. They burn easily in a garden bin with other rubbish so I don't feel guilty. It only costs a few coppers more rather than have your groceries strewn on the floor.

EllanVannin. ?

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 17:37:33

Remind me again that I've committed a hanging offence {shock]

MissChateline Sun 07-Mar-21 18:59:47

Burning plastic releases Poly aromatic hydrocarbons which are released into the atmosphere. Definitely not great and releasing dioxins into the air is unhealthy. Dioxins and PCBs when burned will give off volatile organic compounds and definitely unhealthy and known carcinogens.
So not a great idea burning plastic bags.

MissChateline Sun 07-Mar-21 19:01:08

Suggest a small nuclear bomb just to be in the safe side !

Franbern Mon 08-Mar-21 10:56:04

I am very anti any single=use plastic, and do try to avoid it.

I only have two rubbish bins at home, the small one in my en-suite I use purchased liners for. The large kitchen one requires special sacks in there from the company that produce the bin.

I used to use plastic carrier bags in my en-suite one, but am delighted that these are not so readily available anymore.

Tizliz Mon 08-Mar-21 11:06:30

Tesco don’t use single use bags anymore and they were no good for bin liners as they have small holes in (to prevent suffocation). I decant into old shopping bags.

Doodledog Mon 08-Mar-21 11:24:10

I get my shopping from Saisnbury's (I just don't understand how going to the shop myself can be seen as less of a faff grin), and since the pandemic the driver puts the plastic trays on the doorstep, steps back and I load from them into a shopping trolley and a large cool bag, both of which I keep ready next to the door.

I must admit that I find the new 'no bags' rule annoying. I have found packets split, cream with the peel-back lid burst and bread products squashed under tins. Presumably this is down to the packer, or maybe a result of the sudden growth in numbers of drivers/packers as more customers are going for home delivery. Also, some of the less experienced drivers put the plastic trays on the path, rather than the step (I soon ask them to move them, though!) whereas the old hands stack them so that I don't have to bend down so much, putting the emptied ones under the full ones as I go. It makes such a difference.

When things go back to normal, whether more people continue to get deliveries or not, the drivers will gradually all gain experience, and who knows - the supermarkets might start to use compartmentalised trays, so that fragile goods don't get spoilt in transit. I keep suggesting this in the feedback surveys, and if everyone else did, maybe they would take it on board?

muse Mon 08-Mar-21 11:25:35

I struggled to get a delivery a year ago but for last 6 months have had a Sainsbug's weekly delivery. Haven't room to store a huge amount of food. There's always plenty of slots available.

I take big bags and wine holder out to the van. He/she steps back and I load from the crates. Freezer, veg and bread in carrier bags (tied). I keep these and reuse them in the bins around the house.

I've carried on with the on-line shopping even though I go out for other things. I've saved a lot of money too. £1 for a saver slot. My closest supermarket is 10 mins drive away.

Froglady Mon 08-Mar-21 11:27:00

I put everything from the trays into huge carrier bags and then carry/drag into kitchen. The delivery people I've had (Morrison's) won't come into the flat so they drop everything in the doorway.

muse Mon 08-Mar-21 11:34:43

Franbern

I am very anti any single=use plastic, and do try to avoid it.

I only have two rubbish bins at home, the small one in my en-suite I use purchased liners for. The large kitchen one requires special sacks in there from the company that produce the bin.

I used to use plastic carrier bags in my en-suite one, but am delighted that these are not so readily available anymore.

But aren't the plastic liners you buy single use?

cornishpatsy Mon 08-Mar-21 11:52:21

When I used to have deliveries Tesco would leave the shopping in the crates then the next delivery I would return the empty crates and so on. We had room to store them in the garage so was handy for us.