Gransnet forums

House and home

So how often do you "makeover" your home ?

(83 Posts)
hazel93 Tue 04-May-21 11:25:55

In my case rarely !. I really dislike the concept of constantly following the latest trends re. interior decor, or is it just me ?
I have always found "what goes around comes around " with inevitable regularity.

BBbevan Tue 04-May-21 17:11:35

We don’t do ‘ makeovers’. Horrid concept. We decorate to our taste as and when we need it.

Nonogran Tue 04-May-21 18:51:57

I love investing in my home but don't follow "trends." After 20 odd years I recently invested big time in my kitchen, lounge & dining room. New suite, occasional furniture, dining set & sideboard, art work & a full kitchen refit. New carpets throughout & replacement double glazing too. Love my home & enjoy investing in my comfort & surroundings. Worth the upheaval & money! Beats clothes shopping anyday!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-May-21 19:00:41

Only when I’m forced to.

BlueBelle Tue 04-May-21 19:15:24

Bit like whitewave if I really really have to about every twenty years ???

Urmstongran Tue 04-May-21 19:16:08

I’m not much of a consumer. I buy when I need to. I suppose that’s not good for supporting the economy but on the other hand my if I’m not continuously replacing what I already like that’s surely good for helping to save the planet? My excuse anyway.

That said I can take it to extremes. This is our G-plan dining table & chairs, always been in very regular use since it was bought in 1974! It was the first piece of furniture we chose once we were married. I like to think of all the people we have had sat around it over the years, quite a few no longer with us sadly. The ‘butterfly’ middle opens out and 8 or possibly 10 at a squish have gathered around it. My parents, Himself’s parents, we put the carrycot holding our babies on it n turn. Our daughter of 43y used to sit at it playing with her doll’s house when she was a four year old (the same age as our granddaughter is now). Revision for GCSE’s and ‘A’ levels done by both daughters were done at it - weeks of no food set out there, just piles of text books, pads and pens. And now our grandchildren sit at it to eat their meals. All these memories are tied up with this one table, bought on a rainy Saturday afternoon in Manchester from ‘Times’ furnishing.

Callistemon Tue 04-May-21 19:45:59

I wish we'd had our old 3 piece suite recovered or had new covers made - we bought one the same make (G plan) and it's nowhere near the quality of the old one.

Witzend Tue 04-May-21 20:00:52

I’m only just now thinking of a new kitchen, but no rush, it’s only about 32 years old ?.

Everything still works, so it still produces meals, which is all dh really cares about, but it’s looking tired now.

I’ve seen a couple of kitchen planners in the past, but none of the ranges seem to make the same size/type of units. My kitchen was quite modern at the time, deep pan drawers, pull out larder etc.
We have 3 doors off a far from huge kitchen, so options are naturally limited, and the current layout works perfectly, so I’d like much the same again, only new.

But both planners tried to change it all - apparently largely for the sake of it - and/or forcefully persuade me into having something I don’t want. E.g. ‘No, you don’t need a draining board when everything goes in the dishwasher.’
Er, no, not quite everything, and yes, I do.

Still, maybe it’s time to go through all that again....

Sara1954 Tue 04-May-21 20:03:36

Grannycool
Same here, two or three rooms a year in rotation, won’t be doing anything this year as there are three young children living here so I can’t see the point.
I don’t do trends, I like deep colours, jewel colours, and I couldn’t care less if they’re on trend or not.
Over the years I’ve had several pieces of furniture made, which I like and don’t want to change.
But my extravagance is curtains and blinds, I love choosing fabrics, it’s always my starting point.

Redhead56 Tue 04-May-21 20:31:32

If I had my way I would get an auctioneer in to price buy and take away our antique furniture. My husband owns old pieces inherited from his aunts business. I would love a good clear out but it’s not going to happen. I do the painting and choose soft furnishings our son built our kitchen to my taste a bit more modern and not fussy.

Katyj Tue 04-May-21 20:48:04

I love changing things. We downsized two years ago to a much smaller house, so sold our furniture and more or less replaced everything. One or two things I’m not happy with as we seemed to buy everything in a rush.
But if I could afford it , and I can’t, I’d change things regularly. I spend hours looking at soft furnishings, bedding, lamps etc. Suppose it’s a bit of a hobby all be it an expensive one.

mokryna Tue 04-May-21 20:48:16

Had the whole flat painted 2 years ago, after 30 years. Still have the original kitchen cupboards though and ‘antique’ furniture but now have wooden flooring throughout. Thank goodness it was completed before lockdown.

Kali2 Tue 04-May-21 20:54:45

it's not about money, but huge waste, ecology, the environment.

allsortsofbags Tue 04-May-21 21:54:05

I'm not normally one for redoing rooms but we seem to have done nothing but "Make Over" for the last few years. Not really by choice though.

We had to refit the downstairs cloakroom after the toilet cracked, it does look better now :-)

A year after that we knew we had to have the dining room and living room floors replaced as the joists were rotten and had dropped in the corners.

We geared up for those two floors and all the renewing of carpets and flooring only to find the concrete of kitchen and hall floors had crumbled :-( I lost my lovely original Edwardian tiled floor in the hall as it was too expensive to replace. Very sad.

Now we have a new kitchen that is lovely but wasn't planned and we changed the suite from a Lazy-boy I couldn't move to something more modern that I can shift to clean under. Then it all needed decorating.

I'm not looking at doing anything in those rooms for a long time, fingers crossed.

I do, however, change cushions and bits from time to time but I haven't even done that since we redid the downstairs. I may have a look round the shops now we can get into them again.

Callistemon Tue 04-May-21 21:56:43

Kali2

it's not about money, but huge waste, ecology, the environment.

?

kittylester Tue 04-May-21 22:13:19

We decided to completely redo our lounge last year as we were unable to go away or to have a party for our golden wedding anniversary. It was awfully dated and had evolved into a complete mishmash. It is now fresh and much less cluttered.

On the basis that it looks so much better we are going to do the kitchen next.

We also had a big, undetected leak in the roof over the hall. It has taken 18 months but we have just finished it and love it.

But, anything we do now will probably 'see us out'!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-May-21 22:25:40

kitty? everything is seeing us out.

Having a new boiler put in plus new fire in sitting room. That will see us out.

Next year we intend to old age the bathroom that will see us out as well

RubabAyesha Wed 05-May-21 07:58:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sara1954 Wed 05-May-21 08:08:25

My soul tells me I can only be happy if I’m surrounded in colours, textures and soft lighting. I don’t do ornaments, but have lots of bookshelves, family photos, and candles, and I like to have fresh flowers.
I’m also a neat freak.
I’m certainly not changing things every five minutes, I’ve had some things for many years, but I can think of worse to spend money on.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 05-May-21 10:38:01

When it needs it. Certainly not because I want to be “on trend” as they say. Our furniture is very traditional and mostly been here for years. When the fashion changed from light wood to dark again we went with it as we had to replace things but now we are awaiting the advent of traditional returning. We did buy a new three piece leather suite a couple of years ago as I could no longer face washing and refitting covers for the old one.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 05-May-21 10:45:18

We moved in in 2016 and still haven't finished painting, papering etc. for a variety of reasons, not all of them within our control.

If or when we get the decorating done, it is going to have to last a long time!

Shortlegs Wed 05-May-21 11:12:28

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

leeds22 Wed 05-May-21 11:12:44

DH has many good points but dislikes change, so I never even think about changing cushions, lampshades, etc. Currently I'm building him up for new curtains in the sitting room. We are in the process of upgrading the kitchen/dining room but that was suspended in October due to Covid and now we can't get the tradesmen back.

Theoddbird Wed 05-May-21 11:19:21

My narrow boat home evolves. I use charity shop scarves to dress the portholes and vintage finds to decorate....old wooden crates are stacked and all my coffee table books put in them. I love interiors books....mainly country bohemian. I did spend several thousand ripping out kitchen and shower room and replacing them when I first bought her...even a wall came down I will paint the interior this summer....probably white.

GrammaH Wed 05-May-21 11:28:06

We had new cu6oboard doors for the kitchen cabinets last Autumn as the old ones were 20 years old & looked it. I was surprised how they really lifted the room and then we also bought a bargain ex-display sofa for £150 to replace 2 tatty old chairs in front of the kitchen log burner. The front room sofas were new about 5 years ago, again replacing 2 elderly ones. Apart from that, nothing has been done recently. Everywhere could do with a coat of paint but I'm not unhappy with the look , even if the curtains are all ancient & possibly old fashioned - our house is about 500 years old with low ceilings & we're happy with the cosy old look!

Kartush Wed 05-May-21 11:33:17

We buy new furniture as old stuff breaks but other than that the only times weve done over a house is when we have moved into a new one and thats only been 3 times