Gransnet forums

House and home

Fabric or leather furniture? Help me decide.

(117 Posts)
supernanauna1 Mon 10-May-21 18:54:45

We desperately need a couch and armchair - what we have is a mess. It's a type of corduroy fabric which wasn't too bad until our three year old GD came to live here - you can imagine the way things went after that.

Now that she's seven I think we'd be safe to buy new furniture but I'm torn between fabric - which I prefer - and leather which would be easier to keep clean.

Even at age seven, accidents can happen. We've always been happy about food being brought into the sittingroom, and that won't change.

So which is best? I always think leather is cold in winter and warm and sticky in summer but maybe I'm wrong.

Help please?

SusiQ8 Wed 12-May-21 12:18:14

Every time I’ve sat on leather furniture in showrooms and then got up I’ve suffered from static, i.e. my clothes cling to me as I get up. I wanted to have leather furniture at one time but gave up on the idea because of this and went with a corduroy style instead which I’ve been very happy with.

Aveline Wed 12-May-21 12:18:31

Generally when I sit on our leather furniture I wear pants!!

bear1 Wed 12-May-21 12:21:23

we have leather now 7 years old yes its cold in winter and hot and stickey in Summer, there is just the two of us and i am noticing the odd mark where its now white instead of black and desoite reuglar cleaining and using a leather polish the arms are creasing and going hard hope tis helps

Tedd1 Wed 12-May-21 12:24:56

I bought two leather sofas when we moved three years ago . I got rid of one as I couldn’t bear sliding off it all the time. We now have a fabric one for us and the dog gets the leather one. The grandchildren are pretty careful when they visit. So far so good!

Witzend Wed 12-May-21 12:28:45

Washable heavy cotton loose covers here. One of my sofas is pale yellow but even the blueberry stain made by a little Gds washed out perfectly.
They were made to measure by Plumbs and I must say I was very pleased with them. The cushion covers come off very easily for washing and dry quickly. And go back on easily, which is not always the case - several times I’ve had to apply brute force and ignorance for an elderly neighbour who can’t even begin to manage it.

Fernhillnana Wed 12-May-21 12:35:13

Uggg leather furniture is tacky.

Rosalyn69 Wed 12-May-21 12:39:04

I have a combo. Part leather and part fabric. Lovely.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 12-May-21 12:43:58

I can’t stand leather either. My ex went out and bought two horrible brown shiny leather sofas without consulting me and when they arrived I stuck to my guns and my lovely blue and white striped fabric sofa which was twenty five years old. His leather sofas were slippy and he couldn’t stretch out in them without the cushions sliding off onto the floor. We split and he kept his leather horrors which now look flat and saggy whereas my fabric sofa is still plump and comfy. I know that’s more to do with quality than covering but it just reinforces my dislike of them.
On the other hand my granddaughter bought a couple of secondhand suede or nubuck sofas and they are rather nice. Obviously very expensive when new and not slippy or sticky at all. I still wouldn’t want them myself though.

Grannyjacq1 Wed 12-May-21 12:59:44

If you buy leather, buy good quality furniture, not the cheap thin leather veneer type. We have 2 leather chesterfield sofas which we have had for about 45 years now. Yes, we did get the cushions re-covered a few years ago, but they have survived 2 children, 5 grandchildren, numerous parties etc. and still look amazing. They cost a lot at the time, but have been worth every penny. British made, I think. Better for the environment too if they last this long!

homefarm Wed 12-May-21 13:04:44

I have both types. The fabric is the most comfortable.

Katyj Wed 12-May-21 13:24:53

We bought expensive leather sofas from Marks and Spencer’s, after 3 year the coloured faded and actually went in holes. Even though they were guaranteed for 5 years they wouldn’t do anything about them .

ss1024 Wed 12-May-21 13:28:42

They now make performance fabrics which clean up easily and are very soft feeling. I have a white velvet sofa with performance fabric and spills have easily cleaned up. Also,have a quality leather sectional that is very comfortable, too. If you prefer fabric, I suggest you go with performance fabric.

NotSpaghetti Wed 12-May-21 13:37:27

If you buy cheap sofas whatever they are covered with is likely to wear I think as it will be part of the purchase price.

But I realise I don't know much about buying them as we have chosen to re-cover our sofa that was 2nd hand in 1950 when my parents bought it!

Alioop Wed 12-May-21 13:52:17

I would rather have fabric. Leather too cold, too sticky and makes rude noises when you move....

garrer Wed 12-May-21 15:01:04

Leather sofas and easy chairs remind me of gentlemen’s clubs!

nipsmum Wed 12-May-21 15:05:30

For practical reasons I would buy leather. Easy to clean and if its good quality looks great too.

Nanette1955 Wed 12-May-21 15:35:04

Fabric every time, sitting on leather is never a cosy experience x

Tickledpink Wed 12-May-21 15:59:38

If I changed my suite I’d most likely choose leather again. We’ve had ours for 15 plus years and it was a sound investment. I use a baby wipe to clean it. We chose a dark colour as more practical with growing family. It was expensive to buy, including footstools and pouffes but we’ll worth it as still comfortable and looking smart. Also the different light during the day and lighting at night reflects off the leather which I really like. Not sticky, cold or too warm. Buy from a good shop or reputable company to get the best quality you can afford. We paid for ours monthly interest free.

GreenGran78 Wed 12-May-21 16:30:02

I had been thinking of exchanging my large curved fabric sofa for a smaller one. When the need came for DD, GD, all their furniture and 2 dogs to move in with me for some months I sold the sofa to make more space. We are currently using DDs leather one. I hate it, and as soon as they move out I will be looking for a nice fabric one.
I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of leather sofas and chairs being offered on our local Giveaway site. Are they going out of fashion?
My main sofa problem is not the fabric, though, but the fact that most of them are far too deep for my little 5 foot nothing size. If I sit back my legs stick straight out in front of me, and I struggle to get up again. I either have to tuck up my legs (not graceful if visiting someone’s house) or stuff several cushions behind me, ( which is also socially awkward). I usually try to find a dining-type chair to sit on.

Elvis58 Wed 12-May-21 17:26:16

I had a leather pair of sofas for 14 years and decided when l moved l wanted a fabric sofa, 18 months later got rid of it.Every hair, mark had to wiped off it.Bought leather again very happy with it.

FranT Wed 12-May-21 17:56:16

Fabric is cosier, but having a Jack Russell who sheds so much hair, I don't understand how she isn't bald, we went for leather, as it's so much easier to clean,we usually put a throw on if it's chilly.

CBT61 Wed 12-May-21 18:59:47

I have a leather chair and I like it but it is a bit slippery. We are looking for a new sofa at the moment as we are redesigning the sitting room and the existing sofa has been scratched to pieces by a naughty cat. ( She is now kept out of the room unless we are in there!) I am definitely getting a fabric one with washable covers. The best sofa we ever had was an IKEA ektorp when the children were little- comfy and washable and survived being made into a den, a trampoline and a bed! If only I liked the current colours I’d have another like a shot!

Purpledaffodil Wed 12-May-21 19:14:44

Oddly we had leather initially because cats scratched the fabric ones to pieces but never marked the leather ones. After 14 years we have replaced with more leather, no cats now but like the way we don’t need to worry about spillages. They are not slippery or sticky either. I think it is about quality. Think how tatty cheap leather handbags can quickly become.?

adaunas Wed 12-May-21 19:29:18

What it comes down to is personal preference. I like leather. Our living room has 9 year old leather furniture which looks lovely. I don’t stick to it and it is only cold when I first sit down, a bit like sheets on your bed.
Our dining room/extension has fabric, because it includes a sofa bed. I like it.
Anyone else think saying someone’s furniture choice is ‘tacky’ as someone did at 12.35 is rude?

mphammersley Wed 12-May-21 19:40:10

Out of personal choice I would never choose leather. I would prefer material, but with cats and grandchildren around I always have cheap and colourful throws to put on, takes the worry away.