Gransnet forums

House and home

Help. My Dyson has died - recommendations please!

(67 Posts)
recklessgran Sat 15-May-21 12:10:36

Just that really. My upright Dyson has burnt our bedroom carpet when I was doing the edges. It was standing in the upright position in the same spot for some time and has melted 2 thin stripes where it was standing. DH has "looked" at it and seems to think it's fine but as he needs a sat nav to find the hoover in the first place I'm not convinced and want to get a new one. I'm a bit of a slattern generally so prefer the ease of an upright - preferably fairly light weight. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Sara1954 Sat 15-May-21 12:21:05

I have just bought a new Dyson, top of the range, longer battery time. But I find it a lot heavier than my last one, due no doubt to bigger batteries, it’s also longer, and the accessories are really difficult to clip in and clip out.
I bought this one, as my vacuum cleaner also gave up over lockdown, and I thought I could manage without it if I had a really good cordless. The battery time is a real bonus, otherwise I prefer my more basic model.

Roses Sat 15-May-21 12:26:51

I have a plug in and a battery shark and I would never buy a different make if they broke

I use the electric one once a week and run round with the battery one as and when it needs doing

Nandalot Sat 15-May-21 12:30:16

Shark every time. I used to have Dyson but would never go back. I have an electric upright. It is so clever the way the different parts separate for versatility.

Grannybags Sat 15-May-21 12:47:48

Me too Nandalot I changed from Dyson to Shark. So much better

keepingquiet Sat 15-May-21 12:50:01

Sharks are great- lightweight and value for money.

icanhandthemback Sat 15-May-21 12:51:05

Shark for me too if you are looking for an upright. Miele c4 is a fantastic little cleaner if you want an easy pull along.

theworriedwell Sat 15-May-21 12:52:45

Another vote for Shark, don't miss my Dyson at all.

Sara1954 Sat 15-May-21 12:54:37

So just to clarify, do you all have a shark for your main cleaner?

Westcoaster Sat 15-May-21 13:03:43

My Dyson died a few months ago, and despite always saying how great it was (it had lasted more than 6 years) I switched to Shark. So much better ... better at picking up, no stuff winding round the brush bit, and the battery seems to last forever. It's also fairly lightweight so not a bother lifting it up the stairs.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-May-21 13:04:21

Mine is a Henry and it`s brilliant.
My other one is a Vax that i have had for over 20 years and it`s still going strong,but on the heavy side.

Aveline Sat 15-May-21 13:07:48

Are Sharks any good for pet hair? Our long haired cat seems to produce so much.

Maya1 Sat 15-May-21 13:13:26

Sharks are fantastic for pet hair. We have a long haired border collie and it picks up all of his hair.
Argos sometimes have deals on and so does Sharks own website.
I have electric upright too. Very lightweight.

silverlining48 Sat 15-May-21 13:17:28

I have a dyson upright, I wanted something lightweight. I thought it would be better than my previous one but I don’t like it much it’s not that light and emptying it is a a pain.

I have gone back to using my still working 40 plus year old cleaner which I actually prefer. Rather disappointed with the dyson which was a lot more expensive than other brands. Someone told me recently that dyson outnumber all the rest at our local tip. Food fir thought.

Sara1954 Sat 15-May-21 13:21:24

Silverlinings
I’m here this morning battling away with my new Dyson, I find it difficult to change the attachments, and keeping my thumb on the button all the time makes it ache.
I fear I may have made a costly mistake.

Eloethan Sat 15-May-21 13:21:59

Just bought Dyson ball upright, Animal 2. I think it's great but I've got nothing to compare it with as I always buy Dyson.

Liz46 Sat 15-May-21 13:24:21

We have a G tech and a small, hand held one which is great for stairs and the car etc.

kittylester Sat 15-May-21 13:37:58

We have a Shark plug in and a really cheap battery operated 'zoomer' that I bought for £50 at Tesco. They are both really good but when the zoomer dies I will buy a battery Shark to replace it!

Blinko Sat 15-May-21 13:39:33

We bought a robot vacuum cleaner, never regretted it.

CleoPanda Sat 15-May-21 13:39:53

We’ve had a Dyson V6 Fluffy Cordless Vacuum since 2017. It’s lightweight, versatile and so easy to use, my husband does a bit of vacuuming every day. Seems to pick everything up with no problem.

shysal Sat 15-May-21 13:42:52

Another fan of the Gtech duo here. The upright has no tools so a hand-held is needed too.

Chardy Sat 15-May-21 13:54:47

Sorry, after 25yrs of loving my Dysons, I couldn't buy another after all that sneaky 'Vote Leave', 'No-deal Brexit "will not change anything" ' and 'Now we're off to Singapore' malarkey.

So I bought a Shark - the dog, 2 cats and I are very happy with my decision.

Jaxjacky Sat 15-May-21 14:06:42

I’m looking at the Tineco cordless A11 hero, it’ll be for upstairs/stairs/car only. The shark (corded) is brilliant downstairs, but heavy to carry upstairs where the valiant Henry needs a spare part.

grannyactivist Sat 15-May-21 14:09:19

I won a Dyson in one of the first GN competitions and it’s mostly been brilliant; when it developed an intermittent fault I replaced it with the G-Tech duo (a political decision) and I have to say they’re brilliant. The little machine is great for stairs and odds and ends and the cordless vacuum cleaner is lighter and much easier to use than the the Dyson.

Grannybags Sat 15-May-21 14:13:20

Sara1954

So just to clarify, do you all have a shark for your main cleaner?

Yes mine is an upright