Gransnet forums

House and home

Home air conditioner

(39 Posts)
WiltsGran Tue 01-Jun-21 15:35:47

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting a wall type air-conditioning unit fitted because I don't like really hot temperatures indoors, but I'm worried about the noise of the compressor as I don't want to upset the neighbours. I live in a detached house but the neighbours house walls are only about 2 metres away. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Luckygirl Wed 20-Oct-21 09:10:38

I think you should choose whatever option uses the least power.

Davette Wed 20-Oct-21 09:03:15

A mid priced unit will purr.

EliBedmead Wed 20-Oct-21 04:41:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

trevcarlton115 Fri 27-Aug-21 02:56:21

I agree with B9exchange; if Daikin is available in your country, I suggest you buy that. We just had ours installed by Clover Services and so far, we love it. It's not loud at all and works great. I'm not sure how sensitive you are with the noise, but I feel like this will work for you. Also, I don't think you should worry that much about the noise. If I were your neighbor, I wouldn't mind a little noise from your AC. It's totally understandable.

Platypus Tue 17-Aug-21 14:35:08

I’m from Australia and air conditioning is commonplace here. The type of air conditioner your after is called a “split system” - the fan unit inside and the compressor outside. Most are 3 in 1 systems, so heating, cooling or dehumidifying - which is great for rainy or humid weather - takes the humidity out of the house and cools you down as wells for barely used any power.

All air conditioners will have their maximum decibels listed otherwise ask for them.

Our local councils have a maximum decibel level that they permit at night otherwise it’s noise pollution. Possibly your council could give you this information or point you in the right direction of what, if any rules you need to abide by.

If you stick with one of the reputable manufacturers who have whisper quiet technology and are energy efficient, I reckon you’ll be right.

I’m not sure what brands they sell over there, I have both a Panasonic and a Mitsubishi but I read B9exchange post who said she had a Daikin which is an awesome brand - very reputable and worth every cent - I’d be going for something like that.

MawBe Tue 17-Aug-21 11:03:59

No shortage of spam replies.
Reported.

scottcaroline115 Tue 17-Aug-21 05:54:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

scottcaroline115 Tue 17-Aug-21 05:53:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

AlexCrowlen Thu 15-Jul-21 12:48:39

Look, you shouldn't be too distracted by your neighbors, if you're hot, go buy an air conditioner. You shouldn't live your life to please someone else. You have to live the life you want. You want an air conditioner, there is a Goodman option, it's environmentally friendly and not noisy. If you do not know how to install, then write to me, I will help. If you don't have time to wait, then order a handyman at www.airconservicing.org/type-of-aircon-service/ . You will be installed in any room and at any height. I hope I helped you with advice, by the way do not set too low a temperature at night, and you can catch cold!

Kali2 Wed 16-Jun-21 21:36:37

geekesse

My Dad had a wall-mounted air-conditioner, and it was very quiet indeed - certainly not a problem for the neighbours.

Depends very much on the Model, and the neighbours. And wether they sleep with windows open. I am very sensitive to any electric/electronic noise, and would probably find it very unpleasant. In the dead of night, an electric hum can be unbearable for those with sensitive ears.

crazyH Wed 16-Jun-21 21:32:36

My ceiling fan is such a great help at night - it’s on now. It circulates the air - my window is open. Love it .

WiltsGran Wed 16-Jun-21 21:24:53

Hi thanks for your advice everyone, yes I would fit a wall Aircon with main fan/compressor outside on the ground but I live in a quiet area, silence at night and I worry about the noise upsetting my neighbours who have windows open. I'll keep thinking about it. Cold wet cloths are useful in a heatwave!

JaneJudge Sat 12-Jun-21 10:46:45

Evaporative cooling is noisy but it's confined to your own house. I thought the OP was worried about noise caused to her neighbours. Maybe I've misunderstood

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Jun-21 08:41:22

Surely you can check the external decibel level of models before you buy?

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 02:14:53

Spice101

CafeAuLait

What about looking into evaporative cooling? That's very quiet.

Evaporative cooling as I know it (living in Australia) is not quiet, in fact it is noisier than refrigerated in my experience.

Wiltsgran have you thought about having ceiling fans in the bedrooms? We find our cooling gets too cold of a night and the air flow is too strong. Ceiling fans are more controllable in their speed.. They don't necessarily cool as well as air con or evap cooling but shift the air around enough to make sleeping comfortable.

Mine was only noisy before it blew up and I had to replace it. Now it's quiet.

Spice101 Sat 12-Jun-21 01:45:49

CafeAuLait

Evaporative cooling as I know it (living in Australia) is not quiet, in fact it is noisier than refrigerated in my experience.

Wiltsgran have you thought about having ceiling fans in the bedrooms? We find our cooling gets too cold of a night and the air flow is too strong. Ceiling fans are more controllable in their speed.. They don't necessarily cool as well as air con or evap cooling but shift the air around enough to make sleeping comfortable.

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 00:49:23

B9exchange

If you mean an air conditioning system with wall unit and outside fan extractor unit, then there is no noise outside. I can walk past ours and not hear it. Ours are Daikin units, which we were told was the Rolls Royce of air con units! smile

I have an older wall mounted one and it's noisy. I only use it when it gets to about 45 degrees and the evap cooling can't keep up. The neighbours all have the same, so we're good with each other running it when necessary. We don't expect each other to suffer.

B9exchange Sat 12-Jun-21 00:15:40

If you mean an air conditioning system with wall unit and outside fan extractor unit, then there is no noise outside. I can walk past ours and not hear it. Ours are Daikin units, which we were told was the Rolls Royce of air con units! smile

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Jun-21 23:52:05

Laura - people in hot countries also have air coolers/conditioners of one sort or another, where they can.

CafeAuLait Fri 11-Jun-21 22:50:27

Doodledog

CafeAuLait

I have considered that, but would worry about waterborne diseases, such as Legionnaire's Disease.

I've looked into this and you can't get Legionnaire's from evaporative cooling apparently. Lots of people in my area have it and it's not even a second thought.

www.seeleyinternational.com/ap/news/legionnaires-disease-why-evaporative-coolers-pose-no-risk-to-your-health/

LauraNorder Fri 11-Jun-21 12:34:26

People in hot countries close their windows and shutters against the hot sun. In this country we make the mistake of opening all the windows letting the hot air in and letting the sun heat the glass that isn’t open.
Try leaving windows and curtains closed on the sides of the house that get the sun and hopefully at least your bedroom will stay cool enough for comfortable sleep. Air con is not good for you or for the environment.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 12:26:54

we have an air cooler. You can drain and change the water daily if you want to on ours

Katie59 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:20:49

Even in tropical countries a good quality quiet ceiling fan over the bed to keep the air moving makes a big difference. Ours is lovely, havn’t used it this year yet when we do it runs all night and we sleep with just a single sheet.

Doodledog Fri 11-Jun-21 10:02:13

CafeAuLait

I have considered that, but would worry about waterborne diseases, such as Legionnaire's Disease.

CafeAuLait Fri 11-Jun-21 06:05:38