Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower Curtains, Love or Loathe

(37 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 13-Jul-21 16:21:56

I must admit I’m a loather of shower curtains, much prefer a glass screen, remember having a shower curtain when I was around 5 or 6 years old, the thing used to billow out ?? Any one else

Gymstagran Tue 13-Jul-21 16:25:18

Loathe them, they cling to you and I would never feel clean, screen for me too

tanith Tue 13-Jul-21 16:25:26

Can’t abide curtains they stick to you and get really grubby i much prefer a glass pane but I’m sure they are suitable for some situations.

AGAA4 Tue 13-Jul-21 16:33:05

I don't like them. Seem to get covered in mildew however much I washed them. I have a separate shower now so need for the grubby things.

GrandmaKT Tue 13-Jul-21 16:34:55

We have a shower curtain in our holiday let (have walk-in showers at home). The reason is that when we lived in our previous house and had a shower screen over the bath, no matter what we did it always leaked. As holiday makers aren't as careful as they would be at home I have stuck with the shower curtain to avoid leaks. Also the cleaner prefers shower curtains as she can just take them down to wash and shower screens are difficult to keep sparkling clean and make it tricky to clean the bath properly.

Lucca Tue 13-Jul-21 16:40:30

Vile things

TrendyNannie6 Tue 13-Jul-21 16:47:40

I class them the same as toilet mats unhygienic, how ever much you wash them

nadateturbe Tue 13-Jul-21 16:48:30

We have a separate walk in shower. I clean the glass all the time but it never looks sparkling clear like the windows, and the shower takes a lot of energy to keep clean. I used to moan about the shower curtain, and wish we had a walk in shower. I think my preference would be for a shower in the bath with just one glass screen to clean.

DillytheGardener Tue 13-Jul-21 16:52:06

Can I say I hate them both. I have two bathrooms, one with glass screen and one with a curtain. Both look ghastly from the hard water in my area, stains and yellows the curtain, and leaves stains and white build up on my glass door hmm

Ellianne Tue 13-Jul-21 17:03:00

I prefer a shower screen, a curtain always seems to wrap itself round me.
We chose an opaque screen for our new shower room which removes the faff of having to get the glass to shine.

DanniRae Tue 13-Jul-21 17:08:14

I am happy with my shower curtain - we can't have a glass screen due to the position of the bath ( shower is over the bath)
Our bath is big enough for the curtain to never be a problem and, as I have two curtains, they are never discoloured as I change them regularly.

FlexibleFriend Tue 13-Jul-21 17:25:24

I don't currently have a shower curtain as we have a folding screen but I've never had a problem with shower curtains clinging to me or billowing out, we've always had weighted curtains. As for cleaning just chuck them in the washing machine.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Jul-21 17:32:47

Had a shower curtain years ago. Ghastly thing, always clung to me. Then moved and had cubicles with glass screens - not ideal with hard water. Now we have a wet room, perfect.

rafichagran Tue 13-Jul-21 17:37:24

Glass screen for me as well.

NotAGran55 Tue 13-Jul-21 17:41:17

? I can’t remember the last time I saw one - thank goodness!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 13-Jul-21 17:59:25

They’re alive and well in Pr***** Inns Notagran. That’s one thing I dislike about staying there, otherwise great places for a couple of nights.

Chewbacca Tue 13-Jul-21 18:08:35

Loathe 'em.

Kim19 Tue 13-Jul-21 18:22:34

Haven't ever had other than a curtain. Very happy with it and never had a single problem. 46 years now and, yes, have changed it!

MerylStreep Tue 13-Jul-21 18:32:01

When we lived abroad we had wet rooms. I loved them.
It’s not something that we British embrace, is it?
Having said that they are becoming more popular.

Squiffy Tue 13-Jul-21 18:37:44

Same here Kim19!

Easy to keep mildew-free with a quick spray of diluted bleach. Never had one wrap itself round me - I make sure not to open it to the full length of the bath so it lets air in, which prevents it from entwining me!

3dognight Tue 13-Jul-21 18:47:33

A lot of hate for the shower curtain shock
A can understand it though. I’m abit glass phobic due to a car accident that left glass embedded in my eyes and face and hands and arms. So after the big curved glass panel that was the sliding door of the shower got wobbly and impossible to get clean, my husband took it off, I replaced it with a white shower curtain .

I can now enjoy my showers again without thinking the wobbly glass door is going to fall in on me.

It does get filthy on the bottom- but it washes well and hangs straight back up and dries in situ .

Welshwife Tue 13-Jul-21 18:55:02

In our last U.K. house we had a shower with a glass two piece sliding door. Every day after I showered I wiped the glass panels with e cloths and had a mop thing on a handle which I used to wipe the two tiled sides - always had sparkling glass - not smeary at all.
When we put a shower in after taking a bath out here I sourced a glass screen but then decided against fitting it as we had done this specially for a friend who visited and he is a tad wobbly and I was afraid he would fall and damage himself on the screen.
When my cousin needed to have her bath changed as she was unable to safely get in and out of the bath she was not allowed to have a glass screen due to safety and needed a long curtain. We too have a curtain as we could not put a screen due to space and position of the shower. The curtain never gets mildew etc as it is a special fabric and I pop it in the W/machine frequently. The bathroom is well ventilated and has an extractor fan.

Shelflife Tue 13-Jul-21 19:00:44

We now have a walk in shower , love it! Glass screens are kept sparkling with the use of shower spray - Mr Muscle is good. Spray on immediately after you finish showering , while the glass is wet. Leave it , no wiping , step out of shower . The shower glass will be very clear , no smears!

3dognight Tue 13-Jul-21 19:11:01

Your shower sounds lovely Shelflife.

Beechnut Tue 13-Jul-21 20:09:57

I have a curved shower rail which keeps the shower curtain away from the body.