Gransnet forums

House and home

SHELTERED LIVING

(11 Posts)
MaryQueen Mon 19-Jul-21 15:48:18

I am about to enter the world of sheltered accommodation.
I have always lived independently in private rented houses.
I know that through my health etc this will be the best move, however, I am a little nervous.
Does anyone have advise or can give me an honest account of the benefits and if there are any negatives to living in 'COURT'.
Id be very interested to hear from you.

Infinity2 Mon 19-Jul-21 16:00:37

No experience yet, I expect it’s a matter of time though.
Just wanted to say I’m sure you will be very happy when you settle in. ???

Kim19 Mon 19-Jul-21 16:05:39

My lovely Aunt had many happy years in such accommodation. I hope you have the same good fortune.

Allsorts Mon 19-Jul-21 16:10:42

Oh MaryQueen, I send you all my best wishes, Hope very much you will be happy, that is gives you piece of mind and you have pleasant people to make friends with. Have you any family or good friend that can give you moral support, if not post on here and we will be here for you.?

Nonogran Mon 19-Jul-21 16:10:49

My mum is in local authority sheltered housing. Best thing she ever did.
She has a sunny 2 bed & thankfully a lovely modern kitchen & shower room. She’s 96 & loves that her call pendant is her lifeline to help. She’s secure and has good neighbours. She tends a little bit of flower garden she’s “dug out” for herself in past years and is content.
She moved in about 25 years ago & is glad she did.
You’ll be fine. Enjoy what is to come.

MaryQueen Mon 19-Jul-21 18:05:31

thank you all so much, it is helping me to look forward to my move xxx

V3ra Mon 19-Jul-21 18:27:45

My Dad (90) lives in an "extra-care" apartment which is probably similar to what you're moving to. His is in the grounds of a nursing home with lovely gardens.
He has his own kitchen, lounge/dining room, shower room and bedroom.
He has a red button phone to call the onsite carers if needed. They phone him every morning ("to ask if I'm still alive...") and ask if he wants a hot dinner bringing at lunchtime. He's put weight on!

He moved 160 miles to be near us here after my Mum died three years ago and he wasn't coping. It's been a lifesaver. He's made friends, still drives his car and does his own shopping.
He said he "feels safe" living there.
MaryQueen I wish you well in your new home ?

MissAdventure Mon 19-Jul-21 18:59:03

One of my nearly mum in laws moved to somewhere similar a while back, and she says it has given her a whole new life.
She was a bit worried, as it was only her mobility which was becoming an issue, but she has more friends than she ever has, and says she can opt in or out of joining in.

MerylStreep Mon 19-Jul-21 19:16:20

My friend lives in a complex and I visit often. All I would say, is, don’t get involved with petty grievances.
Although my friend goes out every day and has lots of holidays the majority don’t. From observation and conversations in the ‘common’ lounge these residents focus in on really petty problems and gossip.

cornishpatsy Mon 19-Jul-21 19:51:00

I think sheltered accommodation is a great scheme, keeping independence but support if wanted.

I have a friend that lives in a great place, it has a gym, computer room, restaurant and activities if wanted but no pressure to join in.

HighpointSeniorLiving Tue 24-Aug-21 14:46:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.