Gransnet forums

House and home

Such a rise in power bills!

(57 Posts)
tanith Sun 19-Sep-21 11:56:12

I need to either go on a new tariff with present provider or switch. I’ve been on two comparison sites this morning with between them 8/9 different options for my cheapest options and all are over £300 more than my present yearly payment. My own provider is giving me similar figures for sticking with them.
I can’t believe the rise in gas prices will be this bad £300 extra is an awful lot and I’m sure some won’t be able to afford such a rise. What to do is the question? At the end of the day I’m going to have to bite the bullet I guess.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:03:53

Strewth!

Just listening to radio.

70 fuel providers during last winter.

They say that the idea that only 10 will be left after this crises is optimistic!

What a shambles everything is.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:09:36

This is worth a thought

ichard Murphy
@RichardJMurphy
·
56m
Gas price increases suggest someone is profiteering, heavily, at cost to society. This might be the time for a windfall tax.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 08:24:44

The only silver lining to this is it may spark the government into life and make them realise the green fools plan for renewable energy won’t keep the lights on and houses warm. You need continuous power production not intermittent like wind and solar.

lemsip Mon 20-Sep-21 08:28:19

nadateturbe

Its frightening indeed. I wonder will those on benefits have a corresponding rise. I doubt it.

well of course they will!!

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:29:37

Cost of gas has gone up dramatically. Russia limiting gas supplies. Electricity lines with France broken. Brexit means the EU will support it's members in preference to us.

Yes, it's all down to green energy!!!!

I really don't appreciate being called a fool by someone who has no idea what they're talking about Urmstongran

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:30:39

Urmstongran

The only silver lining to this is it may spark the government into life and make them realise the green fools plan for renewable energy won’t keep the lights on and houses warm. You need continuous power production not intermittent like wind and solar.

Not the brightest idea you have ever had??

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 08:31:42

I read stuff Alegrias. As you do. Different experts posit their opinions on both sides of the divide. Are you defending reliance on renewables?

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 08:34:28

“Wait ‘till the lights go out / and the bills come in.”

Looks like the wait might nearly be over.

The government is caught up in the net of its Net Zero policies, but it can’t admit that it’s wrong, and the Green’s can’t abandon their faith, so we could be in for a bumpy ride.

I’ve got plenty of candles, but I’m off to get my Yellow Vest before the rush.

(COP26 is building up to be a real classic, don’t you think?)
?

Hetty58 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:37:24

A global problem - due, mainly, to high demand with limited supplies - and how about blaming Russia? I'm tired of all the constant whining about brexit and environmentalists - do change the record!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:39:49

We are with Ovo, no gas in our village, we are on a fixed rate u til next March, I’m in credit at the moment so that will help to pay the extra next year.
The Smart Meter has been great, no more meter readings or estimates and I can turn anything off that seems to be gobbling the power.
Of course the oil prices are going to go up as well I assume.
All to do with Global prices and the Russians I think. Not Covid or Brexit. The longer the sunny days last the longer we will benefit this Winter.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 08:42:39

The solar panels gaze hopefully at the leaden skies of summer 2021 while the pig-ugly wind turbines stand there ... never was going to be good enough.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 08:53:13

Bills are due to go up in October and then again in April.

The government can’t possibly cut the U/C it would be outrageous

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:17:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 09:20:14

Well Boris decided to ban petrol cars in 9 years time and we were all told electric cars would easily be accommodated by the Grid. Easily. And wind power replacing coal? All fine. No problems foreseeable.
?

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 09:22:41

Scotland is roughly the same size as Yorkshire! Hmm. No wonder you’ve produced 97% of your needs! Add in a whole other land mass and population? Different story I expect.

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:25:13

Yeah, so we sold some to the English who are still mired in the will we/won't we debate.

Its not the size, it's what you do with it.

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:26:23

Tidal barrages, heat pumps, geothermal...

You need to update your list of "experts" UG

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 09:30:54

Aleg I think you may have got out of bed the wrong side today. Such bad tempered responses to other posters.
Exactly what Urmstongran said and also baggs about renewables and the cost of green energy (in terms of not supplying enough) is all over the news and papers.
You simply cannot compare Scotland to other large countries.

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:36:36

Yes, but the thing is Lemongrove, you're all wrong. Got a link? I'll analyse it for you.

Like I said on the other thread - nuance isn't a strong point in GN, is it?

The UK as a whole generated about 45% or so through renewables. Not bad, eh?

lemongrove Mon 20-Sep-21 09:38:05

Everyone is always wrong but you you eh?

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:38:54

On PV solar cells and other renewables, yeah, pretty much.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Sep-21 10:03:50

Will the green economy trigger the next crash?

Wind investments just don’t perform like promised in the fancy brochures ---

capx.co/will-the-green-economy-trigger-the-next-crash/

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:11:21

um hmm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CapX.

Thing is, how much money they make for investors isn't the prime measure of success for renewable energy. Unless you're a right winger of course, when the only thing that matters in money.

Alegrias1 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:12:47

is money

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:24:22

We need to put a value on the air that we breath and our environment and offset it against our carbon emissions.