Gransnet forums

House and home

Where do I store sheets, towels etc once my airing cupboard is gone?

(47 Posts)
Madmother21 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:57:19

I’m shortly to have my boiler replaced with a combi boiler, which means I will lose the airing cupboard. All my bedding and towels are in there, I shall really miss it. I could hang a pair of jeans in there, or anything needing to dry overnight, and they would be dry in the morning. I have also proved bread dough in it and propagated seeds as well.
But my main concern is where to keep my towels and bedding so they stay fresh.
Where do other people keep these things? I need some ideas and inspiration, please!

Shinamae Thu 21-Oct-21 10:59:07

When I switched to a Combi boiler I got my electrician to put a small electric heater in the airing cupboard and it’s absolutely fine…

Riverwalk Thu 21-Oct-21 11:01:04

You're losing a boiler and gaining an empty cupboard!

I suggest you put up shelving and put your linen there.

Teacheranne Thu 21-Oct-21 11:03:00

I had a small radiator put in my airing cupboard when the hot water tank was removed. It keeps my towels fresh and there is enough space to dry a few items of clothing overnight on hangers.

62Granny Thu 21-Oct-21 11:04:09

When we switched the plumber/ gas fitter put in a small radiator and I still use it exactly the same , obviously if the heating isn't on there is no extra heat but it suits our needs.

Kim19 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:17:20

I simply slat shelved the area left by the boiler. Wonderful extra storage for much more than just the linen.

Beechnut Thu 21-Oct-21 11:21:31

Teacheranne

I had a small radiator put in my airing cupboard when the hot water tank was removed. It keeps my towels fresh and there is enough space to dry a few items of clothing overnight on hangers.

We did the same as you Teacheranne.

J52 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:46:18

When we remodelled our house and put in a combi boiler the old airing cupboard space was incorporated in a room. The linens are now stored in a large chest of drawers, located on the upper landing. A bit like going back in time with a linen press.

Madmother21 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:01:55

Thank you J52, I forgot to say that the airing cupboard is to be incorporated into a bedroom to make an en-suite. I’ll have to look for a chest of drawers to put somewhere!

25Avalon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:08:37

How about a linen chest? There are wooden ones, willow ones, or you could go for an ottoman at the foot of the bed. Alternatively if you are getting a new ded for the new bedroom get one with draws in.

25Avalon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:08:53

Bed not ded

sodapop Thu 21-Oct-21 12:24:55

I have a blanket chest in the bedroom and baskets under the bed for smaller items.

Franbern Thu 21-Oct-21 12:36:31

When I had a combi-boiler installed in my house the old airing cupboard became the entrance to a stairway to the loft room. Underneath it became the en-suite to my main bedroom.
How much linen do we need to keep these days? I have two sets for my own bed, one on it and the spare in drawer under the bed. Spare bedroom, only actually have the one set of bed linen always ready for use. Kept in vacuum storage bags in shelved section of fitted wardrobe there.

Towels, how many spares do you need? Have bathroom sheet, bath towel, and two hand towels in guest bathroom, similar in my own en-suite shower room. Keep spare bath sheet and hand towel in wicker box in that room.
With easy washing and drying facilities these days, do not need to store lots of extra items.

Whiff Thu 21-Oct-21 12:47:20

I store my bedding ,towels and tee towels in drawers in my spare wardrobe. Thought I would miss my airing cupboard as there is a combi boiler. But I don't. Having a combi boiler is more economical than conventional one. No wasted hot water or running out of hot water.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:55:29

I keep bed-linen in an old fashioned blanket chest, towels on a shelf just outside the bathroom, tea-towels, dish-cloths and kitchen towels in the last cupboard of my kitchen unit and table napkins in the sideboard.

I have never had an airing cupboard - Danish houses and flats don't, Older properties have wash-houses with adjacent drying areas, newer ones usually have dryers.

If your house is properly heated it is never a problem keeping linen dry, though getting it dry in the winter might take some time, but not if you spin-dry on the greatest number of revs per minute your washing machine is capable of.

PinkCosmos Thu 21-Oct-21 12:59:21

I have an ottoman to store towels, bedding etc. It is at the foot of the bed. I also keep some in the drawers of the bed.

You can get beds where the whole top of the bed lifts up for storage. I was contemplating one of these but decided to get rid of about half of my bedding, towels etc. instead.

As other posters have said, how much bed linen etc. do we actually need?

Juicywords Thu 21-Oct-21 13:05:44

Anyone thinking about having a heat pump system will still need to have a water cylinder to store the heated water.

FlexibleFriend Thu 21-Oct-21 13:08:08

You don't have to lose your airing cupboard it's your choice. I have a combi boiler but chose to keep the hot water cylinder and the airing cupboard. The problem I have is the airing cupboard is in a bedroom that's in use so we don't store our towels in there. Our towels are stored in a cupboard in the bathroom. We have multiple cupboards and drawers in the bathroom which came from Ikea.

Amberone Thu 21-Oct-21 13:29:29

Shinamae

When I switched to a Combi boiler I got my electrician to put a small electric heater in the airing cupboard and it’s absolutely fine…

Me too.

LadyGracie Thu 21-Oct-21 13:35:15

I have a small radiator in the airing cupboard along with the combi boiler.

overthehill Thu 21-Oct-21 14:46:04

My towels just go in a cupboard and the bedclothes in the under bed drawers. Done it for years, no problem at all. They are perfectly dry when they are put away

Cabbie21 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:27:33

The cupboard with the hot water tank became additional wardrobe space. I store bedding in the drawers under the beds, and I had a large storage cupboard made in the spare room for, er, storage, including a shelf for towels, and one for summer or winter duvets etc. There are also two shelves for my stuff, family history stuff, printer paper etc.

NotTooOld Thu 21-Oct-21 17:01:28

I have far too much spare bedding and towels. We're hoping to downsize next year and you have reminded me I must get rid of some most of it. I reckon I have at least ten duvet covers, most of which I don't use because they are doubles and we use king size now. I still have my eldest's cot blankets and he's 54 this year. shock

JackyB Thu 21-Oct-21 17:01:34

Airing cupboards are unknown here in Germany. It took some getting used to, but now I manage somehow.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:18:03

I'm in a new-build so a combi-boiler came with the house. I will always mourn the passing of the airing cupboard as they are so useful but I've got used to life without one now. I believe it's called progress.

Towels are folded up and kept in a neat pile at the head end of the bath on a shelf, bedding is on a long ottoman at the foot of the bed.