Gransnet forums

House and home

Where do I store sheets, towels etc once my airing cupboard is gone?

(48 Posts)
Madmother21 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:57:19

I’m shortly to have my boiler replaced with a combi boiler, which means I will lose the airing cupboard. All my bedding and towels are in there, I shall really miss it. I could hang a pair of jeans in there, or anything needing to dry overnight, and they would be dry in the morning. I have also proved bread dough in it and propagated seeds as well.
But my main concern is where to keep my towels and bedding so they stay fresh.
Where do other people keep these things? I need some ideas and inspiration, please!

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Oct-21 17:21:19

We lost our airing cupboard when we had the bathroom re-designed, so the bedding lives in a tall boy in the bedroom and the towels are housed in a chest of drawers on the landing. The bedding and towels are properly aired on an aired before being stored so that they don’t go musty.

grandMattie Thu 21-Oct-21 17:21:29

I used to have a wonderful airing cupboard in my previous house. This one has a combi boiler and no cupboard. ☹️ I have put shelves up and use those - but also have an electric airier to dry my small sand stuff that can’t be tumbled.

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Oct-21 17:21:55

airer.

Nonogran Thu 21-Oct-21 17:31:39

Whatever solution u end up with make sure your washing and linens are absolutely none dry before you store them. If u store an item which in its folds or anywhere else is even slightly damp it could be very smelly when you come to use it. Bit like stinky trainers!

Nonogran Thu 21-Oct-21 17:32:10

none dry!!!?? None dry!

crazyH Thu 21-Oct-21 17:39:14

My Combi boiler is now in my garage. I had a small radiator installed there. I now have a great cupboard with a couple of slatted shelves for my towels, sheets etc

MiniMoon Thu 21-Oct-21 17:44:50

We have a desk in the hall. It has lovely deep drawers. Sheets and duvet covers go in there, and towels live on shelves in an upstairs cupboard.

Pittcity Thu 21-Oct-21 18:44:32

Our combi boiler is in the old airing cupboard and so we have more drying space than ever now there is no hot water tank.

Madmother21 Fri 22-Oct-21 11:31:15

Thanks to all of you for replying, it’s been really useful to read all the comments.
Good health to you all.

libra10 Fri 22-Oct-21 11:41:08

We are currently replacing our old gas boiler with a combi.

We bought some extendable shelving from Amazon, and fitted them in the airing cupboard. Blankets, sheets, pillows and towels easily fit on there.

www.amazon.co.uk/BAOYOUNI-Extendable-Adjustable-Separator-Organizer/dp/B078KMRS78/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&smid=ATA6U14SYVPXD&keywords=extending%2Bshelving%2Bfor%2Bcupboards&th=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTTlQTkRVNlg0R0I2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzA1NDA2MkdJMzlKN09VRjRaNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDc2NjM2N1FDTlcxRk44SlZUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1634898992&sr=8-2-spons

Sorry about the long link.

The heating engineer is going to fit a small radiator in there to hopefully dry clothes in wet weather.

readalot Fri 22-Oct-21 12:23:22

I keep my bedding in drawers under the bed and my towels are kept in drawers in the bathroom and also in large Hessian type basket in my bedroom

sazz1 Fri 22-Oct-21 12:28:50

Have a large bathroom with several fitted cupboards so towels in there with some folded on a small set of shelves. Previous house they were in a cupboard in the bedroom
Sheets and duvet covers in bottom drawer of my chest of drawers in bedroom

BlueSapphire Fri 22-Oct-21 16:27:23

When I had to have a new hot water cylinder, it was much bigger than the old one and so I lost the shelving. Bedding and towels are now kept in under-bed drawers.

grannyqueenie Fri 22-Oct-21 17:08:22

I’m another with a small radiator in the cupboard that used to house the tank. There’s enough space at the bottom for a small “over the bath” sized airer which is perfect for drying underwear in the winter. Shelves above this stores spare bedding and towels perfectly.

Yammy Fri 22-Oct-21 17:41:02

When I moved we had no built-in storage at all, I got a long low chest of drawers the length of the king-sized bed with deep drawers. and it makes a kind of footboard.
I have just lost half of my airing cupboard due to a new oil boiler and again left with a lot of bedding and towels so I have put each rooms set in baskets with lids on top of the wardrobes.

Greciangirl Fri 22-Oct-21 17:54:17

I would very much miss my airing cupboard if it went,

I keep the towels in there and also dry clothes in there when the weather is wet and damp.

Bedding stored in drawers under the bed,

M0nica Fri 22-Oct-21 20:56:40

I keep the spare towels and sheets in the bedroom they are used in. They occupy the bottom drawer of any chest-of-drawers in the room.

Pammie1 Fri 22-Oct-21 21:06:49

Depending on where your airing cupboard is located, use it as extra storage space. Ours is in a small spare room which I use for ironing and I’ve had the airing cupboard shelved out. I now use it to store folded towels, bedding and spare pillows, duvets, blankets etc.

POBCOB Tue 26-Oct-21 11:03:22

We have a heat pump heating system in our new house with a massive cylinder in the airing cupboard so no room for anything else. To solve the problem we bought a large cupboard, the same style as the kitchen, like a larder cupboard, which we use for all linen and towels. Drying is done overnight on an old fashioned hinged clothes horse so to save money on electric costs by not using the tumble dryer.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Oct-21 11:31:20

I am beginning to do that too M0nica it means that you're not trying out every size and combination of bedding before putting it on a bed. I have only recently started storing in bed size: a shelf for singles and another one for doubles.
I have far too much bed linen.
My bugbear is that I have a pully in the kitchen for drying clothes but now my Rayburn has gone I no longer have a warm kitchen. Mouldy clothes?
I don't have an airing cupboard.

M0nica Wed 27-Oct-21 11:24:25

I always use different designed and coloured bedlinen in each room, so it is easy to know which bed it is meant to fit.

jaylucy Wed 27-Oct-21 11:34:57

I gained a cupboard too - only thing is that I need more shelves and because of the construction of the house, no one seems happy to put any in!
I did purchase some of those vacuum bags and put a complete bed set - including pillows and duvet in one of those, so when ever I have anyone to stay, I have it all ready to make up the guest beds.
It also gave me the chance to sort out the bedding and towels and dispose of those that are past it.
I do miss having warm towels though.