Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing pods

(85 Posts)
Lilypops Sat 15-Jan-22 17:46:23

When there are a few laundry pods left in the bottom of the plastic box they come in , has anyone found they just leak and go all mushy and sticky,? they are virtually useless,I have found this with cheap ones eg from Lidl to more expensive like Bold , Ariel Fairy,
I am thinking of going back to liquid detergent or powder,

Chestnut Tue 18-Jan-22 14:17:03

Shropshirelass

Eco Eggs against stains. No problems, they work for me. I first saw them on a TV programme about saving money etc, the household had to was football kit for a whole team, came out beautifully clean. I am very pleased so far and will continue to use them.

Which Eco Egg are you referring to?

grannybuy Tue 18-Jan-22 16:19:37

I’ve never stop using powder. I may be cynical, but I wonder if the constant changing to something newer, more ‘ modern ‘ is a way of getting more money from consumers.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 18-Jan-22 18:29:11

clbm48

We use Smol dissolvable eco pods for the washing machine and they are excellent, as us their fabric conditioner. Google Smol. Delivered to your door.

I too use Smol pods, and their dishwasher tablets are excellent too. However, I can’t find out what the shell of the pods is made of and would like to know as I’m against using unnecessary plastic. They are supposed to be eco friendly so I’m hoping they’re plastic free.
No problems with them dissolving.

MerylStreep Tue 18-Jan-22 18:36:37

Hannah
Here you are.
Mea-Cocoate
Methylpropanediol
Glycerin
Water.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 18-Jan-22 18:38:34

Just googled and found the answer on are Smol pods plastic free. They are, so will continue using them.

Chestnut Tue 18-Jan-22 23:41:36

grannybuy

I’ve never stop using powder. I may be cynical, but I wonder if the constant changing to something newer, more ‘ modern ‘ is a way of getting more money from consumers.

Of course it is, to make them think this is something new and exciting which is better at cleaning.

effalump Fri 21-Jan-22 17:16:03

Has anybody tried Soap nuts? I had some years ago. They are actual nut-type things from trees that are naturally soapy. You get several of them and a little cotton bag and the whole lot goes in the washing machine.
www.soapnuts.co.uk/collections/soapnuts

mokryna Fri 21-Jan-22 17:46:33

Bambibear Thank you.

Another question, when you use vinegar in the rinse can you smell it on the clothes after they have dried. One of my SiLs hankers after softness and my daughter refuses to use softeners.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 18:22:50

effalump

Has anybody tried Soap nuts? I had some years ago. They are actual nut-type things from trees that are naturally soapy. You get several of them and a little cotton bag and the whole lot goes in the washing machine.
www.soapnuts.co.uk/collections/soapnuts

Wow! These look amazing. Thanks for the link. The blog lady on this website says they're really good, can you confirm whether they work and why did you stop using them?