Gransnet forums

House and home

Bedroom Changes?

(50 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 24-Jan-22 10:48:05

The carpets in our 3 bedrooms are looking shabby and grubby. DH has suggested we get rid of them (after 17 years, and cheap ones when we moved).

What would anyone have nowadays? Not a huge fan of carpets anywhere.

Suggestions please. We don’t intend replacing them again, if possible.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Jan-22 10:52:28

We have wood flooring and rugs.

Blossoming Mon 24-Jan-22 10:55:13

What is the floor like underneath? I’d be wary of laminate flooring in upstairs rooms, it can be very noisy.

tanith Mon 24-Jan-22 10:59:49

I have wood flooring downstairs but prefer carpet in my bedroom

Calendargirl Mon 24-Jan-22 11:00:51

We’re in a bungalow Blossoming so don’t have to worry about sound.

DH is not keen on rugs GSM but I like them plus wood.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Jan-22 11:04:44

A rug on your side of the bed only Calendargirl!

Georgesgran Mon 24-Jan-22 11:06:55

I have wood and other hard surfaces downstairs, but still prefer fitted carpets on stairs and bedrooms - softer to fall on, as a broken arm a few years ago will agree!

V3ra Mon 24-Jan-22 11:11:52

We had laminate flooring in a rental property we lived in temporarily. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I did.
When we moved back home we had laminate everywhere, upstairs and downstairs. We do have curtains rather than blinds so I think they absorb some of the noise, either that or we've just got used to it.
I like the fact that it's easy to use a long-handled duster mop to sweep the floor under the beds, and am always horrified at how much dust and fluff comes out that would otherwise have been sitting in the carpet.
We don't have rugs but just wear slippers indoors.

Grandmabatty Mon 24-Jan-22 11:22:24

When I moved into my bungalow three years ago, there was well worn carpet everywhere. I put laminate down throughout the house. In my bedroom and my living room I have a large rug which covers quite a bit of the floor. That way, I can replace the rug when needed, but I don't have to replace a full carpet. In addition, I prefer the look.

karmalady Mon 24-Jan-22 15:56:01

quickstep laminate here, looks like medium oak, it has insulation underneath and is very nice. I am so glad I made that decision, rather than carpets. It is very easy to clean and does not harbour dust or dust mites or moths

MissAdventure Mon 24-Jan-22 15:59:45

I've got wood effect cushion flooring in mine.
It saves sounding like "Riverdance" has come to town when I go in there.
I wish I had it elsewhere instead of laminate.

Kim19 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:00:11

I'm wary of rugs so have renewed with cheaper fitted carpets as there's not much footfall upstairs at all. So far so good and very pleased with my selection.

grandMattie Mon 24-Jan-22 16:01:26

We have laminate floor and rugs, with antislip lining. Very happy with them - unless you wear stiletto heels, then probably a carpet is better.

Dee1012 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:04:39

I was planning on laminate flooring but after looking, my floorboards are really good, the plan is to sand and stain and then a very large rug.
Although a friend recently painted hers (floorboards) and it looks lovely...

Patsy70 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:23:21

We have wood flooring as I find it easier to keep clean and so much more hygienic.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:23:49

I have cushion flooring in one bedroom and laminate in the other two and the manding. Difficult to tell the difference. I have three rugs on the landing from my bedroom to the loo and as they were cheap I could change them at any time.

I am on my own and I have one expensive woollen rug at my side of the bed but it is the worse for wear because my last cat tore it to pieces. I would never return to carpets, this flooring is so much easier to clean.

Redhead56 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:36:16

Our son laid a lovely oak floor in our dining room and hallway. I would like it in the living room but my husband is not giving in. I don't like carpet it's too far to much maintenance.

Visgir1 Mon 24-Jan-22 16:41:05

Have a look at "Amtico" flooring as well. We have it in our hall and would definitely use again.

Allsorts Mon 24-Jan-22 16:46:45

I prefer the look of carpets, I don’t really like the look and feel of laminate apart from kitchens and bathroom.

Franbern Mon 24-Jan-22 18:10:21

Amtico or Karndean flooring. Wonderful and so easy to keep clean. Rugs if wished can add to decor.

crazyH Mon 24-Jan-22 18:16:46

Love my laminate flooring downstairs, except for kitchen ,utility and toilet, where it’s tiled.

Hetty58 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:17:27

Good quality waterproof laminate - easy to clean and doesn't harbour dust. I only have carpet on the stairs and landing, with large rugs in other rooms. There's a local firm who take them away and clean them.

Catdragon Thu 27-Jan-22 10:42:56

We changed to wood flooring, with a rug, at my suggestion. It looked very nice. I hated it! Cold underfoot in the night getting up for a wee and much noisier. We changed back to carpet.

4allweknow Thu 27-Jan-22 10:43:20

Unless you have super-duper soundproofing under the floor upstairs stick to carpets. Also if hard flooring you have to apply some kind of substance to furniture to prevent them sliding about. The noise from hard flooring upstairs is horrendous and if you are cleaning mad, you will notice the dust on the floors no matter how often you wipe.

GeoffreyE62 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:46:20

Laminate all the way ! Easy to hoover ,mop and keep clean. Lots of different colours/ effects too .
Can always put rugs by bed if feel that would be cosier.