Gransnet forums

House and home

Bedroom Changes?

(51 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 24-Jan-22 10:48:05

The carpets in our 3 bedrooms are looking shabby and grubby. DH has suggested we get rid of them (after 17 years, and cheap ones when we moved).

What would anyone have nowadays? Not a huge fan of carpets anywhere.

Suggestions please. We don’t intend replacing them again, if possible.

Riggie Thu 27-Jan-22 10:53:50

I think I'd want carpets in my bedroom. I'm very much a potter round from bedroom to bathroom in my bare feet sort of person.

Years ago when relatives moved to a bungalow they had it all apart from the kitchen and bathroom in the same neutral carpet. I remember thinking it was very stylish. I did wonder what would happen if they needed to replace some- but it was good quality carpet and lasted until they moved out.

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 11:00:20

I love the look of wood floors and would love to have them throughout my house. But I live in the cold NE and I've been in houses without carpet. Takes a lot to warm them up. I have wood in communal areas, but carpets in the rooms I spend time in.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 11:02:52

We are lucky to have underfloor heating. Not sure I would be so keen on my wooden floors otherwise, in the winter.

Witzend Thu 27-Jan-22 11:04:40

If I wasn’t going to have carpet, I’d have a cushion floor type vinyl, e.g Karndean. Softer and less noisy than wood. I’d never have really hard floors upstairs - too noisy for anyone downstairs, not to mention either side if you’re in a semi or terrace.
An ex colleague was driven nearly mad by hard floor noise next to her bedroom, in a Victorian semi.

PinkCosmos Thu 27-Jan-22 11:13:52

If you are in a bungalow and prefer wood, I would use the same wooden flooring as the existing wooden flooring and have rugs.

However, we have Karndean flooring in the hallway, kitchen and bathrooms but still have carpet in the living room. I prefer it as it is cosier and not so noisy. I always worry that I would trip over a rug.

Our carpet is a very close colour match to the Karndean (light oak). It gives it more continuity across the floor area. A different carpet colour would chop up the spaces and make the whole area look smaller. Hope that makes sense.

Nannan2 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:35:08

Laminate flooring.easy to keep clean.and if you find it a bit cold, get large rugs.(although a fitter worth their salt will use the silver thermal ynderlay.

Psalmody Thu 27-Jan-22 13:06:36

We have put down bamboo flooring, it is wonderful!

aggie Thu 27-Jan-22 13:10:12

I have wooden floors , underfloor heating in my bungalow , I am filled with horror when I think how much dust must have been hidden in the carpets in our old house !
But .. I went to sit on my blanket box at the end of the bed , but it wasn’t as long as I thought ! I ended up on the floor , it was so slippery I couldn’t get a purchase to get up . I had to shuffle accross to my sturdy chair and get the cushion off it onto the floor so I could lean my elbow on in to grab the chair and get up , the floor was so hard it hurt me to lean on it . On the carpet I could have been up on my feet in no time
Now I’m thinking of a big bedside rug !

4allweknow Thu 27-Jan-22 13:21:51

Depending on how nimble your are on your feet rugs can be a real trip hazard especially as we age. Remember my late sister having a fall and the OT telling her to get rid of her rug. My sister replied she had nevrr tripped yet on a rug and the OT replied, you've never been 78 years old before either.

Nonogran Thu 27-Jan-22 13:26:05

My daughter has it downstairs. Click click click go the dogs paws across it! To me laminate flooring albeit with rugs ( trip hazards) is cold looking. I’d certainly never want it in the bedroom.

mokryna Thu 27-Jan-22 13:31:41

I have wooden flooring with insulation underneath everywhere and no rugs in my bedroom. Smart slippers, there is no click clack, no asthma and warm feet.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 27-Jan-22 13:42:39

I had laminate flooring in my bedroom at my last house and it did make the room cold. I much prefer carpet in a bedroom.

Teacheranne Thu 27-Jan-22 14:50:27

I’ve just had laminate flooring fitted in my lounge, I love the look but have noticed that I can see the dust and hairs more than I could on the carpet! I have a cleaner every two weeks and did not vac my carpet between visits ( live alone, no pets) unless I had dropped crumbs on it. Now I might need to brush or vac more frequently - note I only said “might” as I’m waiting to see how grubby looking it gets over two weeks! I really don’t want to start having to clean again!

HazelGreen Thu 27-Jan-22 14:56:38

Have you thought of getting carpet cleaners in? you would be amazed at how much dirt they will extract from a carpet. It depends on the quality of the original carpet perhaps whether it is worth a go.

Hil1910 Thu 27-Jan-22 15:22:05

Cold comfort imo. Our lounge has laminate flooring which was fitted by the previous owner and as much as I like it during the summer I find it far too cold during the winter. We do have 2 large rugs but I still prefer a good quality carpet. If you’re intending having it fitted in your bedrooms replace any casters on your beds with gliders otherwise you might find your beds move around.

Zoejory Thu 27-Jan-22 15:23:55

I'd go with carpet in the bedroom. In fact we've just carpeted the whole house.

We inherited laminate but I was never keen.

mokryna Thu 27-Jan-22 15:40:04

Teacheranne

I’ve just had laminate flooring fitted in my lounge, I love the look but have noticed that I can see the dust and hairs more than I could on the carpet! I have a cleaner every two weeks and did not vac my carpet between visits ( live alone, no pets) unless I had dropped crumbs on it. Now I might need to brush or vac more frequently - note I only said “might” as I’m waiting to see how grubby looking it gets over two weeks! I really don’t want to start having to clean again!

I know what you mean, I am by myself also and I cannot believe how the dust appears, only turn round after putting the vacuum cleaner and there it is. It there such a thing as a dust fairy/elf, hovering around?

Beanutz2115 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:03:37

We had luxury vinyl tile, it wasn’t cheap (about (£4000) for the hall, kitchen, lounge and study. We have dogs and wet muddy paw marks were easy to clean up. I really recommend it. The fitter put a levelling compound layer first, then when it dried a layer of glue then the vinyl planks went down.

V3ra Thu 27-Jan-22 16:25:08

Beanutz2115 we have LVT in the hall and cloakroom. It's very practical with lots of children in the house every day, plus a dog.

Soroptimum Thu 27-Jan-22 16:33:17

Ooh I might upset a few here! Rugs are such a trip hazard! I got rid of one in my mum’s flat as I could see that it was dangerous. A fall at any age isn’t good, but as we get older there are sometimes long-term consequences. Please do check your rugs.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 17:11:30

A proper non-slip backing is a must.

HiPpyChick57 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:05:32

When I pick up my bedroom carpet in the summer I’m going to be sanding my floorboards and having a large bedside rug

Bignanny2 Thu 27-Jan-22 21:39:49

Always had carpet and my daughter has said for years Why don’t you get laminate flooring it’s much less old fashioned. Moved into a new place two and half years ago that has laminate flooring and hoped I’d get used to it but I still hate it. And guess what my daughter has just moved into a big new house and carpeted right through.

Mummer Thu 27-Jan-22 23:06:13

We did exactly same with a new build. Then got rid of the lot once all the building site dirt was finally gone! We replaced with really good quality 100% wool in bedrooms 1&2 and a cheap yet really good quality in #3 room. I would never have floorboards/wood on bedrooms again after living with parquet (nice but dead dusty) growing up .just prefer carpet for warmth easy cleaning.

Candelle Fri 28-Jan-22 09:19:19

We have just replaced one sitting room's floor with carpet and momentarily toyed with laminate but decided against for the risk of trip hazards on rugs and a soft landing should we fall anyway.

I must add that I was shocked at prices - they seem to have doubled since I last checked a year or two ago, so be prepared to possibly pay more than you were expecting!

We have Amtico in our kitchen and can recommend that for an easy to clean laminate-look product. It is not noisy and is soft underfoot. My daughter has Amtico throughout almost the ground-floor of her house and is extremely pleased - not noisy at all, easy to clean and looks good.

We have stayed in apartments with laminate flooring above us and it drove us nearly crackers and that was just for a few nights. I understand that the OP is in a bungalow and that wouldn't apply.