I have two Alexa Echo Dots, the very small basic ones bought when on an Amazon deal for about £20.00 each. I also have the basic Fire stick, again bought on a deal for £15, when my 7 year old Sony smart TV lost BBC iPlayer app..
You download an Alexa app to your smart phone, so you do need a phone. Amazing technology for so little. Setting alarms and reminders, and shopping lists is easy. I use it for fairly simple things such as playing ditigal radio stations and podcasts on command, provides news updates, weather and date/ time check, and they are is linked to my Amazon prime account and will play music requests or playlists. I have not used it to order goods nor I have installed a smart bulb in my table lamp. The latter is next on the list, i.e to put light on on at certain time when I'm out ( which will replace an old noisy mechanical timer).
I was surprised how easy it was to set up