Gransnet forums

House and home

What are you paying for electricity & Gas

(98 Posts)
62Granny Mon 04-Apr-22 21:19:52

There have been many threads on GN about energy prices, but what do you pay per KWh . I recently went onto a fixed rate and pay 32.85 Kwh for electricity with a 24.86 daily standing charge and 8.94KWh for Gas with 26.10 daily standing charge. I know it can vary all depending on where you live in the UK we are in S.Wales. I thought it better to fix my rate so at least I know what I am paying for the next 12 months.

62Granny Tue 05-Apr-22 12:54:51

Shandy57

I am in England, with Octopus, and was offered a 'loyalty' fixed rate last year. These are my prices.

Yes this the same deal I am on but can see your electricity is cheaper than mine but has is about the same. I read the other day it all depends on where you live but can't understand why.

62Granny Tue 05-Apr-22 12:55:48

Should be "Gas"is about the same.

muse Tue 05-Apr-22 13:00:11

Shandy57

Fantastic link muse - such a difference in regions.

I wondered why.
Apparently the more rural areas have many consumers spread far apart making maintenance and repairs more expensive. This must impact on tariffs.

GillT57 Tue 05-Apr-22 13:08:37

silverlining48

Does anyone else use Bulb?

Yes, we do. Our new rates are:

Gas 7.34 per KwH
Elec 29.24 per KwH

Standing charge Gas 27.22 /day
Standing charge Elec 37.92/day

Based on projected usage of 4150 KwH Electric and 21135 KwH of gas, our annual bill is £3003.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Apr-22 13:15:15

EON
I was paying £20 a month I put it up to £50 now I m £275 in credit !!!

Ashcombe Tue 05-Apr-22 14:12:01

I'm with Good Energy and I had a smart meter fitted because I found it impossible to read the original ones due to their inaccesibility and my arthritis.

Electricity
Good to Fix September 2022 v3
Green Fixed
Direct Debit
16.39p/kWh
32.06p/day (£117.02/year) 01/10/2022
983.2 kWh

Gas
Good to Fix September 2022 v3
Green Fixed
Direct Debit
3.48p/kWh
25.90p/day (£94.54/year)
01/10/2022
4071 kWh

Total for year is projected to be:
£292.07 a year for electricity
£248.02 a year for gas

I live in a two bedroomed flat, which is SW facing in South Devon. My DH, who lives in France, visits at times and I go to his home sometimes.

DaisyAnne Tue 05-Apr-22 14:28:12

Pantglas2

But it isn’t the only answer DaisyAnne, is it? No guarantee that the state owned would be supplying at the cheapest rate!

The answer is always to shop around and we’re not the only country in Europe to have choice either...in Spain I chop and change regularly.

Good luck with that Plantglas.

I may have been a little misleading in my last post. The Energy Supplier market is an Oligopoly. Not surprising as our right-wing governments in the UK seem to have been moving towards an Oligarch run country over the last 40 years.

By definition, Oligopoly markets are controlled by a small number of suppliers. Some are competitive; others are significantly less so. I believe the energy market would come into that second category. Concerns there may be coordinated actions or lack of vigorous competition are often rife with this set-up. Oligopoly is not a good "choice", Plantglas. If it is a choice at all.

In the UK only two of the "Big Six" energy suppliers are British owned. That is not a safe choice. Things will change. This government constructed market, an oxymoron if there ever was one, is dying on the vine.

If change is to come, and no one doubts it is, how do you see it happening? I'll add another choice to "state-run". We see many resourceful communities setting up as both local generators and suppliers. Now that is something I would be happy to see the government help to come about.

GillT57 Tue 05-Apr-22 19:44:58

Having just had a closer look at the details of our account, I think they are being a bit heavy on their estimated KwH usage for electricity, I shall keep an eye and adjust my DD accordingly.

Oldbat1 Tue 05-Apr-22 20:20:44

Monthly direct debit now £218 was £120 as of today. Yikes.

62Granny Tue 05-Apr-22 20:23:05

Pantglas2

We signed up for a 2 year fix last July with EDF after Green Energy went kaput and seem to have a good deal ?

God that is a brilliant deal , wish I had seen that.

Pantglas2 Tue 05-Apr-22 20:32:02

We’d probably have remained with Green Energy 62Granny had they not gone under as they had some good deals over the previous five years but were obviously unsustainable!

We were placed with EDF for 6months and that’s when we did the research and decided to fix as per Martins Money recommendation!

Franbern Wed 06-Apr-22 07:31:03

The only real and fair answer is a total nationalisation of all utilities. Controlled and, when and where necessary, subsidised by government (as is happening in France at present).
Then any profits will be ploughed back into the services for us all to share.

Franbern Wed 06-Apr-22 07:47:19

Just to say that I am trying to get my head round the following system;
The Government is using our money (ie: taxes, etc), to give us a loan (whether we want it or not) of two hundred pounds Not even going to a lot of us, not to students, those in landlord owned properties, etc). Anyway, then we will have to re-pay this loan over the next five years and this repayment will also have to be paid by upto a million people who never got the loan in the first place.

And, all of this carry-on in order to keep the record profits of oil etc companies very high, so that they can pay more money to their shareholders.

Cannot believe that this crazy system is just being accepted by us mugs!!!!

Franbern Wed 06-Apr-22 08:12:47

I am also struggling to comprehend how an increase in the price of oil, etc. has any bearing on why the Standing charge, per day, is being increased so much. That just ensures that we pay, whether or not we cut back on the usage of the utility in our homes.

kissngate Wed 06-Apr-22 09:00:58

I agree Franbern. Our SC went from 24.. to 42.. on 1 Apr, why! We no choice have to buy oil or go all electric and that's doubled in price in 3 months. Any cutbacks we make in electric won't make much of a dent in our overall fuel bill.

Granny23 Wed 06-Apr-22 09:21:09

I must be almost the only one whose DD has gone down. I am in the middle of a 2 year fixed tariff and downsized from a big cottage to a small, easy to heat, flat in December. I've also seen a big reduction in my Council Tax + a one off credit of £150 on that.

For once in my life I have been lucky or have made the right decision (to downsize) at the right time. If I had still been in the big family home I would be in dire straights financially.

DaisyAnne Wed 06-Apr-22 09:59:20

Very falicitous Granny23.

Shandy57 Wed 06-Apr-22 11:42:21

I am appreciating my downsized property too Granny23. If I hadn't downsized, I would also be experiencing financial difficulty.

Grantanow Wed 06-Apr-22 12:02:54

We are still on a 'cheap' fix till October but not looking forward to the gas+elec bill after then. Johnson has done very little to help. It's not all down to Russia and the pandemic. If the government had not privatised the energy business, invested in nuclear sooner and started wind and solar sooner we would be in a better state. We've looked at heat pumps, insulation and solar panels but it's very expensive, especially with inflation, so we are stuck with it.

FlexibleFriend Wed 06-Apr-22 12:26:48

YOUR TARIFFQuestion mark icon
Exclusive Octopus 24M Fixed
Exclusive Octopus 24M Fixed July 2020 v1
Fixed term ends 31/07/2022

15.20p/kWhQuestion mark icon21.67p/dayQuestion mark icon
(All rates inc. VAT)Question mark icon

Gas
Serial number:00189402

You've submitted a recent meter reading

Add another reading
View meter reading history
Spin the Wheel of Fortune
YOUR TARIFFQuestion mark icon
Exclusive Octopus 24M Fixed
Exclusive Octopus 24M Fixed July 2020 v1
Fixed term ends 31/07/2022

2.46p/kWhQuestion mark icon17.85p/dayQuestion mark icon

Happysexagenarian Wed 06-Apr-22 13:00:49

We're with British Gas since Peoples Energy went bust.
Electricity only - we don't have gas.
On a variable tariff which ends at the end of June.
Unit Rate: 28.45pkWh
Standing Charge: 43.39 per day
Assumed annual consumption is 2,900kWh
Estimated annual cost £983.57
We pay £139 per month on dd.
Brit Gas keep telling us we're paying too much and could reduce our dd but as it's less than we were paying Peoples Energy we have let it stand.
We also have a substantial credit balance transferred from Peoples Energy which will increase over the summer months, we hope it will cushion price rises in the autumn.
We don't have a Smart Meter and don't want one.

Of course because we also use solid fuel (instead of gas) that is an additional cost, but the price has actually gone down since last year and we buy it all mid-summer at summer prices. It's a lot cheaper than the gas we had in our previous house.

MaggsMcG Wed 06-Apr-22 13:16:10

I'm with Bulb too.

MarilynneT33 Wed 06-Apr-22 13:48:49

We're with EON now called EON Next. Daily standing charge gone from 24.478p per day to 42.331p per day. We have a smart meter and are on Economy 10 and are have no gas and have underfloor heating. Our normal rate has gone from 21.133p per KWh to 32.911p per KWh. The cheaper 10 hours have gone from 13.234p per KWh to 20.971p per KWh. We haven't had our heating on for weeks only for a couple of hours in an evening on the odd cold night.

MarilynneT33 Wed 06-Apr-22 13:50:44

I forgot to add that we pay by direct debit and that it was £177 per month which they reduced to £133 per month a couple of months ago. I expect they will increase it again. I dread to think what it will be.

Barb22 Wed 06-Apr-22 14:25:35

We fixed with ScottishPower till dec 2023 pay 22.21 per kWh and 25.24 per day standing charge. Fixed just before it all went up thought I’d done the wrong thing because Martin Lewis kept saying don’t fix but glad I did now. It’s swings and roundabouts though because we live rural, no gas only heating oil which has gone through the roof