Gransnet forums

House and home

Air Fryers?

(33 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Fri 29-Apr-22 13:56:45

Forgive me if there has been a previous post about these. Thinking of trying to save the use of my oven as fuel costs have gone through the roof. However, I don’t want one if of limited use. I understand you can get one with two drawers but wondering if they would take say two jumbo battered Arthur Ramsden cod fillets in one drawer and plenty of sweet potato chunks ( chopped up by me). Or a dessert in a Pyrex dish. What result do you have for a cake and is it more economical overall? Would be really interested in any opinions available. Thank you

karmalady Sat 02-Jul-22 16:03:23

Try it and see. See if you can bake a loaf from scratch in your air fryer.

It also has a lot to do with thermal mass. A serious breadmaker would use a stone in the oven, mist and normal heat not fan. Yes you can bake a loaf in a fan oven but it will never rise as well as in a non-fan oven, that is why I use a cloche if I use my oven for my sourdough in my fan oven. The fan removes the essential moisture

AreWeThereYet Sat 02-Jul-22 16:21:52

karmalady I wasn't questioning your bread making skill - mine doesn't extend much beyond rolls ? I just didn't understand the statement I quoted, as to all intents and purposes my oven and Ninja work the same way. The Ninja just does it in a more confined space. I understand now you were saying that you don't like the fan for bread making, so an air fryer wouldn't work for you. I sometimes forget that there are air fryers that do nothing but air fry.

Doodledog Sat 02-Jul-22 16:22:49

There is a Steam Bake setting on the Ninja to do this. I haven't used it, but have seen photos online of bread baked using it, and the loaves certainly look good.

Franbern Sat 02-Jul-22 16:50:38

Agree about the title. I mentioned I was purchasing one to one of my daughters who s aid as they never have any fried food, no point in getting one. Perhaps Air mini ovens would be a better description
The drawer in my small tower machine would not take any of my cake tins, but perhaps will buy some small foil ones.

My main oven is very controllable with regards as how to heat it, with or without fan, heat both top and/or bottom, fan circulated round just one shelf or throughout. Reckon it would make delicious bread. The only bread I make these days is Chola, was delicious in my old combi/microwave, will have to make some soon in my new oven.

Trying out chicken in my airfryer tonight.

Doodledog Sat 02-Jul-22 17:33:09

I'm another who thinks that the title is misleading.

I have a Tower one with shelves at the lodge, and that convinced me that it is not a fryer at all. Fry, roast and bake are essentially the same thing, aren't they? I use it a lot - more than the fancy Ninja I have at home. The difference is that the Tower doesn't pressure cook, but I don't like the idea of doing that in the lodge, as there is less space for the steam to dissipate.

If I were starting again (and if I already had a pressure cooker) I would go for the Tower over the Ninja, as you can get a lot in it if you use all three shelves, and I prefer that to the basket way of cooking. Ninjas are fancy, and do lots of things, but I definitely don't use all of them. They also take up a lot of space and are heavy.

Today, I have made individual toads in the hole, an onion rose, carrots, roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, gravy and a Countess Pudding with custard. The only things not made in the 'Fryer' were the custard (from a carton and heated in the microwave), and the gravy, made with the veg water in a pan on the hob with Bisto powder.

Greciangirl Mon 29-May-23 10:19:01

My main electric oven has packed up and seriously thinking of doing away with it and replacing with a Ninja oven.

Can you defrost and heat up food in it.
I would have to get rid of my microwave to make room for it.

A bit nervous about buying one as it’s. Big investment.

Are the controls and temperatures difficult to understand.
Have a dread of doing undercooked chicken.

All information and tips gratefully received.

Charleygirl5 Mon 29-May-23 11:07:56

I decided not to buy a Ninja for the same reasons although I would not have to get rid of my microwave. I bought a middle of the road Breeze and with a slow cooker and microwave, it was excellent. I have not used my oven for almost 2 years so I use it as a cupboard.