Gransnet forums

House and home

Housework blues.

(59 Posts)
beautybumble Wed 25-May-22 23:47:51

When my 3 children were small and I had 2 jobs, I still managed to keep the house clean and organized. It was exhausting of course. Now I'm retired and there's only me, I just can't get organized at all. I expect it's partly because no-one else would see it so what's the point? How do you organize your daily chores? Could you give me some tips on how to get back to how I used to be?

beautybumble Fri 27-May-22 23:20:34

Thank you all for your replies. Even though I do live alone, I do love to see a clean and tidy home. I have certain friends who's homes are so beautiful all the time. That's what inspires me, but this soon wears off. My house is fine, don't get me wrong, but its not how I want it. When I have done it all I feel so good, the trouble is I rarely feel motivated. I'm going to check out Flylady and hope that does the trick. Thanks again.

karmalady Sat 28-May-22 07:54:09

I cannot think of anything more reststrictive or confining, to me, than routine. Things get done as and when. I am far too busy, doing nice positive things, to be stuck into any timetable for cleaning of all things, which I regard as negative

Gardening is not a chore because I don`t have a lawn or hedge that make me cut them. I potter in mine to get in tune with the earth, so that happens when I feel like it and is usually me walking around with a kneeler and a hand hoe and my pottering garden, as a result, is beautiful

Some people seem to have the cleaning tail wagging the dog, according to a timetable. That is not life, not in my book

Jackalene Sat 28-May-22 09:12:45

It's called...
back dated me time
enjoy!!

biglouis Sat 28-May-22 09:19:26

I have a cleaner two mornings a week as Im now too disabled to do much housework. I hate it anyway. Complete waste of time when you are on your own.

Reggie20 Sat 11-Jun-22 13:32:09

Am too busy reading everyone's posts to do housework.
Meh.. gets done when it gets done. IF I'm in the mood. When I was younger, I polished & hoovered EVERY DAY!! Why? Didn't get any medals..

Athrawes Sat 11-Jun-22 13:57:35

I was lucky enough to afford a cleaner when I was working but now I'm not I feel that life is too short to do housework - unless it looks too awful. I clean the bathrooms and do the odd vacuum clean when I feel up to it but with a herd of GC coming and going and 2 elderly cats I can't be too bothered. I do it when I feel like it really - which is not very often!!! - when it looks even worse than usual. I prefer to read a book or do some knitting etc

Georgesgran Sat 11-Jun-22 15:40:38

I’ve got the Shark out and plugged in - just working up to using it!
I live alone and as long as I can’t write my name in the dust on the coffee table, I’m happy.

AreWeThereYet Sat 11-Jun-22 16:36:33

Start with something you can see and appreciate - clean a window and windowsill/mantelpiece/side table, clean and rearrange the ornaments, put out some fresh flowers, put away things that don't belong there. Empty out a drawer or small cupboard, give it a good clean, get rid of things you no longer need/want, decide what you want to store in there and make it tidy. Make homes for things that are usually lying about. There are lots of things you can do that you won't have to do again for a while but will have an impact on your life. They all add up and inspire you to do a bit more. Make it fun - put music on, watch a favourite film. My GGS helps me polish a table when he's here - he's five. He found out his dad used to help me polish and now considers it his job ?