Gransnet forums

House and home

Space saving dining table

(51 Posts)
Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 00:08:24

We are decorating the dining room, and I want a completely new look. We do eat in there, but now that there are just the two of us we don't need (and I don't want) a table to dominate the room, but we do need to be able to sit more than two people on it, particularly at Christmas. I don't like to plate up food, so need something big enough to sit six people with space to put food out for people to help themselves.

We also use the room as a second sitting room. There are bookcases and easy chairs in there, and it gets used a lot. It's not a huge room - maybe 14' square.

So. What I am looking for is a table which is small and compact, but opens up or extends to something a reasonable size. I'd like something sturdier than the ones with a gap for folding chairs to slot into - it will be the main eating surface in the house rather than a spare one. Oh, and Mr Dog is not a fan of anything too modern, and definitely not the 'industrial' look.

Has anyone seen anything suitable please? If it comes with chairs so much the better, as matching up chairs and tables retrospectively can be a hit and miss affair, because heights vary.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Aug-22 00:29:14

This one? It seats 6 but folds down to a 4 seater. £269.99 chairs are extra but available in different colours to suit your room.

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 00:32:12

Where is it from, please, Chewbacca? I'll certainly have a look at it.

If anyone knows of one that folds down further it would be even better, as usually it will just be used by Mr Dog and me.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Aug-22 00:42:20

It's at Wayfair Doodledog, and they've got a few to have a look at.

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 00:42:45

Sorry - where are my manners? Thanks Chewbacca ?.

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 00:43:09

Cross posted - thanks again!

Chewbacca Fri 05-Aug-22 00:57:18

Ikea have the LANEBERG / NORDVIKEN and is so easy to extend from 4 to 6, that "one person can do it easily!" smile £509 complete with 6 chairs.

Or the VANGSTA / TEODORES extendable Table and 6 chairs @ £299

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Aug-22 01:15:48

No idea re budget but there seem to be loads out there.

www.marksandspencer.com/l/furniture/dining-room/dining-tables-and-chairs?filter=Type=Extending%20dining%20tables

www.tikamoon.co.uk/art-mezzo-solid-sheesham-extending-table-seats-6-8-1482.htm

loaf.com/products/parquet-pie?slide=7

www.wayfair.co.uk/Borough-Wharf--Brimmer-Extendable-Dining-Table-V113337002-L147-K~U002226991.html?refid=GX517715083906-U002226991&device=m&ptid=1363308964294&targetid=pla-1363308964294&network=g&ireid=151934851&device=m&gclid=CjwKCAjw3K2XBhAzEiwAmmgrAs9Lic2_mrWnV4yNt-4LtZS5g9QF37dy2cgmrBBEo-dsvSDdeLdmuRoCRnkQAvD_BwE

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Aug-22 01:20:23

My daughter had a lovely second hand set from Gumtree and I bought 8 second hand dining chairs from there too.
Or ebay.co.uk ? Vinted? Etc...

www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&urgent_filter=false&sort=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false&search_category=all&q=extending+table&search_location=

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 02:05:15

Thanks, everyone. What I'm looking for is something that folds down to small (or at least narrow), so that when not in use it takes up as little space as possible. It's not so much that I want a 4 seater that converts to a 6 seater, but a 2 seater that will sit 6 when extended. It will probably go against a wall when not in use (and maybe when Mr Dog and I are using it), but I don't want it to stick out too far, as there is not a huge amount of space, and there is other furniture in there.

I got rid of a large table that extended to huge as it took up too much space, and replaced it with an old drop-leaf one of my MIL's. It is oval though, so even when up there is a lot of wasted space, and although you can get 6 around it at a push, there is just enough room for plates and glasses, but no space to put out food. It's not really working for us, and the height is wrong for the Ercol chairs that we're using with it. When I decorate it's going to be very much a case of 'out with the old and in with the new', as I am replacing virtually everything in the room.

Re budget - I have an overall budget for the room, rather than for each item, so can rob Peter to pay Paul if necessary. I don't want to blow the whole budget on the table, but if I see the perfect one I can cut back on the cost of something else, and I'd rather have decent quality.

grannycakes Fri 05-Aug-22 06:30:43

www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/idanaes-drop-leaf-table-white-00487652/

How about this one

PamelaJ1 Fri 05-Aug-22 06:46:59

I had a top made for our table. My table sat six but sometimes we needed it much bigger. I have lots of relations and special occasions were a problem.
We kept it in the garage when not in use.

Juliet27 Fri 05-Aug-22 06:58:07

www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/ebern-designs-arysa-drop-leaf-pedestal-dining-table-u003556529.html

Any good?

Kim19 Fri 05-Aug-22 07:01:52

Yes, I think a drop leaf table would suit your needs. I have dearly loved and well used oval one. Can accommodate two fully down (at either end), three with one leaf up and six comfortably when fully extended. Think any large furniture outlet should have access to this style.

karmalady Fri 05-Aug-22 07:18:48

I have a beautiful sturdy ercol artisan flip top extending dining table. I keep it by the window and turn and flip to seat eight. Not drop leaf, you can get your knees and chairs under each side to eat in comfort.

M0nica Fri 05-Aug-22 07:46:17

What you need is a gate-leg table.

Why not google it? There are lots available from Amazon, John Lewis etc.

Lathyrus Fri 05-Aug-22 09:37:06

Have you got a garage? Just keep a trestle table in there for when people come and have a little one for you all the rest of the time.

I use a wallpapering table. It works just fine to seat 6 or 8 and nobody knows with a nice linen cloth over the top.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Aug-22 09:48:35

Doodledog, apologies, but I think we have got just what you are after. Unfortunately we bought it in 1961. It is G Plan and came with 4 chairs. When necessary we have added a large chip board top and extra chairs and has done a sterling job over the last 60 odd years.
Maybe you could search for something similar on Ebay?

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 09:50:46

I have googled for days ?

The Wayfair one is the sort of thing I'm after (thanks Juliet27), as it is rectangular rather than oval, and when down it has a small footprint, but it is too modern in style and not big enough when up. The drop leaf one we have now is probably the same size and there is not enough room when we have guests. I don't think drop leaf ones get much bigger, as they are restricted by their height.

Thanks everyone for looking. I did a lot of searching before asking on here, but thought that someone might have something that has an ingenious design I'm not aware of. If there could be a drop leaf style with an insert (doubtful) in solid wood it would probably be perfect.

Doodledog Fri 05-Aug-22 09:55:06

Yours looks lovely Auntieflo.

Something such as you describe sounds great karmalady, but I don't know where to get one, which is why I'm asking.

We do have a garage Lathyrus, but it is crammed with Mr Dog's crap useful equipment, and getting a table sized thing in there would be difficult. I'd rather have something that will extend than use a trestle table, really.

Sago Fri 05-Aug-22 09:55:33

An antique or vintage gate leg is your best bet.
Lots available in auction rooms and on eBay, here’s an example.

lixy Fri 05-Aug-22 10:02:05

Have a look at your local auction house maybe? Ours has a few tables every week.
Just a thought.

PinkCosmos Fri 05-Aug-22 10:45:56

I have a small - about 3 feet square table which is perfect for the two of us on a daily basis.

It has leaves that pull out at the side rather than in the middle. I didn't want a table with a split across the middle.

The only downside of this is the legs are one third and two thirds along the length of the table when it is extended.

This means that I can get two chairs on the long side but the the people sitting there end up with the table leg in the way.

I hope that makes sense.

Just wanted to point this out as I am now looking for a table without the inconvenient leg positioning when it is extended.

I have seen some nice ones in Ikea which I think a previous poster has mentioned

PinkCosmos Fri 05-Aug-22 10:47:21

Sorry addition. My table is like the one that AuntieFlo has posted when it is extended

Fine for four chairs but not so great for six

Chewbacca Fri 05-Aug-22 10:59:09

I know that Doodledog said that she didn't want a butterfly type table but, at my last house, I had a tiny dining area that was really cramped for space. But, it was possible to seat 6 around it (with one person sitting at either end) and it folded down down neatly against a wall and the chairs are tucked in out of the way. Mine was from John Lewis.