Gransnet forums

House and home

Water Meters- Should We All Have One?

(152 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 11-Aug-22 07:25:50

I was invited to start a thread about this as there were differing opinions on water usage and wastage yesterday.

Yes, I think we should if you live in a property that can have one.

Why should we all not pay for what we use? We do, for electricity, gas etc.

If you then wish to wash your car, water your garden, hose things down grin, take long baths, then that would be up to you. But you would be paying for it. It would focus the mind, just as having a smart meter is supposed to encourage us to use energy wisely.

To me, it doesn’t matter where you live, whether you have lots of rain or not, water is a precious resource, expensive to process and make fit for us to use safely. It’s not just a case of it’s raining, here’s the water in your tap.

I believe there is no charge in England and Wales to install a meter, different in Scotland.

I’m sure the water companies are keen for us all to conserve water, especially at the present time. And yes, I know there are numerous leaks that they should be fixing. But this is something we can do ourselves to make a bit of a difference,

Mollygo Mon 22-Aug-22 18:55:07

I’m so pleased I’ve been told today that we can have a water meter fitted, contrary to former information.
I’ve been told I’ll save approximately £459 per year. Of course I’m delighted, but when I asked Derek from United utilities, what impact all the people paying less would have on the money needed to run the water company, he said, “Eventually, we’ll just charge more for what you use on your meter.”