Gransnet forums

House and home

Mini heaters? Any good?

(31 Posts)
Ro60 Wed 05-Oct-22 01:19:03

I've seen various mini heaters that claim to heat the whole room. Are there any that are worth getting and save on electricity?

hollysteers Sun 09-Oct-22 12:51:28

I wouldn’t be without my halogen heaters, which I believe, using all bars, cost around 5p an hour to run.
With an extension lead, I heat up the bathroom before a shower and my spare room for visitors.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-Oct-22 09:57:34

Yes Esspee! I do wish that they would.
I am trying to do some research into heaters, so returned to this thread hoping to see some helpful recommendations.
I’m going to see if I can find out what Which? have to say

Esspee Sat 08-Oct-22 12:51:16

This thread is discussing very different types of heaters. Anyone recommending one or telling us they’re useless needs to make it clear exactly what type they are referring to.

Ro60 Sat 08-Oct-22 11:08:37

Energyguide.org.uk has a new guide (5 October)
They're suggesting infra red heaters are cheapest to run for small spaces. (I've got one of those tucked away too!)
Oil filled radiators still in the running £1.04 per hour.
The dehumidifier is 26p per hour so will make use of this more aswell.

biglouis Sat 08-Oct-22 10:08:40

Nephew says they are ideal for working at a desk or in a particular area/room and dont want to put the main heating on. However he doesnt feel the cold as I do. His flatmate has one in his room and is quite pleased with it.

They are not a replacement for the central heating - just something to put on for a particular part of the house. Or as one poster stated use when the central heating had been turned off.

Doodledog Fri 07-Oct-22 14:26:41

I stay up late, and would like to turn the heating off when Mr Dog goes to bed, but not get cold before I go up. Something like this might be the very thing, if they work.

Blossoming Fri 07-Oct-22 14:12:04

I got a Morphy Richards plug in ceramic heater from Amazon for about 20 quid. I’m always cold and Mr.B is always hot, so I use it to take the chill of a room without needing to switch on the central heating.

It’s fine for my purposes, but certainly not a replacement for the heating.

bluebird243 Fri 07-Oct-22 14:05:00

I bought one of these a year or so ago. Absolute rubbish and noisy. I got a refund.

Doodledog Fri 07-Oct-22 13:58:28

Can anyone who has one they are happy with provide us with a link, please?

biglouis Fri 07-Oct-22 13:40:45

My nephew has just got two of these and is very happy with them. He says they take the chill off the room in about 10 minutes - however he does live in a small flat which is well insulated.

Ro60 Thu 06-Oct-22 12:47:32

Thanks for your replies. I added a response yesterday but couldn't have pressed 'send'.
I've got an oil filled radiator my friend recommended when I moved house.
Looks like she was spot on!
It's got a fan with it. Do you use the fan to circulate the warm air? - I'm thinking this could increase the electricity used considerably.?

25Avalon Thu 06-Oct-22 09:49:00

I have a small ceramic heater which I use with the frost stat to stop the temperature in my old conservatory dropping below freezing to avoid damp. It does that job very well. Occasionally I have used it on full elsewhere and it works quite well. Idk what the running cost is but supposed to be cheap. Other advantage is the outside casing doesn’t get hot so much safer especially if children around.

Georgesgran Thu 06-Oct-22 09:42:43

I ordered one of these from a TV infomercial. I got a text saying it had been delivered at stupid o’clock and of course it hadn’t, so I rang the company and they told me they would send out another one which I received a couple of days later. A few weeks later the original one turned up, but on phoning the company I was told to just keep it free of charge. I use one in my small study, where the radiator is virtually inaccessible because of the position of the desk and I find that it definitely does take the chill off the room. The free one is in the conservatory and again putting it on for half an hour with the doors closed really makes the room quite comfortable. All in all not a bad buy for less than £15.

toscalily Thu 06-Oct-22 09:02:03

sorry the energy company

toscalily Thu 06-Oct-22 09:00:54

When our heating broke down a few years ago on a Saturday in January I went straight out and bought one of the oil filled radiators, not expensive and easy to move. We found it extremely useful, what we did not find useful were the two hot air fan heaters the energy company sent us after a week without heating. The fan heaters which I still have JIC as they energy company were supposed to collect them but never did, are noisy and blow hot air that I find so uncomfortable I can hardly breath after a very short time. We only used them in desperation as we were so cold.

Redhead56 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:51:38

Oil filled radiators from Argos our friends recommended them to us. They come in different sizes and are not expensive to run. I am buying one as we have a large landing but it has no radiator there.

Doodledog Wed 05-Oct-22 08:49:10

Thanks Fanny.

I’ve just ordered one for Mr Dog. You need to keep your wits about you on that site as they try to sneak in add-ons at every turn - I nearly didn’t spot the one to join some sort of VIP club - but even with postage added it is a good deal. That’s my first Christmas present sorted grin

Esspee Wed 05-Oct-22 08:39:30

That’s very interesting Franbern. I was going by what I read on Trustpilot. It would be great to hear of other GN’s experiences.

Franbern Wed 05-Oct-22 08:33:38

Esspee

*Ro60*. I am assuming this is the type of mini heater you are referring to. They plug in directly without a cable.

They are a complete scam. Do not waste your money.

I purchased a pair of these some three years back, before I moved. I was worried about the boiler in the flat to which I was moving, and was scared at being left without any heating. That turned out fine, boiler was fine and serviced.

So, did not even take these heaters out of their boxes. However, last year I 'donated' them to our flats' Management Cttee, for any meeting that was held in entrance lobby area. We used them for our AGM last March, and I can only say they worked very well. No trailing wires, going directly into leccie points, remote controls for both, and they definitely threw out a lot of heat. Obviously, no idea how much they cost to run. We had both on for a couple of hours and they definitely warmed a large area which had two doors going directly outside.

FannyCornforth Wed 05-Oct-22 08:07:18

I’ve just bought one of these for DH. 13 quid! smile
www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/shop/fashion/coats-jackets/21319328/unisex-thermal-electric-heated-gilet

Casdon Wed 05-Oct-22 07:55:32

Katie59

Casdon

I’ve got a mini oil fired radiator, 650w, which costs about 22p per hour to run now. It’s got good reviews, and is excellent, you can move it easily and it keeps one room warm, if you’re cold when you first switch it on, you can move it so it’s closer to you. It’s also silent, I don’t like convection heating because it’s too noisy.

Convection heating is silent it’s fan heaters that are noisy.

I think you mean oil filled heater running on mains electricity

Sorry. You’re right, I mean I don’t like fan heaters. The oil fired heater does need to be plugged in.

FannyCornforth Wed 05-Oct-22 07:52:38

BlueBelle

Not mini heaters but has anyone got a rechargeable gillet I m thinking if that my friend who is very well iff has a litter coat that she recharges has had it a few years and seems very happy with it
I wonder how you wash them ?

I imagine that you remove the electrical inner like you do with heated throws.
I’d not heard of them, sounds like a great idea. Thanks

Esspee Wed 05-Oct-22 07:51:41

Ro60. I am assuming this is the type of mini heater you are referring to. They plug in directly without a cable.

They are a complete scam. Do not waste your money.

Wyllow3 Wed 05-Oct-22 07:51:18

Casdon

I’ve got a mini oil fired radiator, 650w, which costs about 22p per hour to run now. It’s got good reviews, and is excellent, you can move it easily and it keeps one room warm, if you’re cold when you first switch it on, you can move it so it’s closer to you. It’s also silent, I don’t like convection heating because it’s too noisy.

So have I Casdon and it heats small room up spiffily quickly so pay your 22p and keep the door closed and you will be fine for 2/3 hours.

Katie59 Wed 05-Oct-22 07:50:18

Casdon

Convection heating is silent it’s fan heaters that are noisy.

I think you mean oil filled heater running on mains electricity