Gransnet forums

House and home

Thinking of installing a smart meter

(78 Posts)
Opal Mon 28-Nov-22 19:48:38

I've just received an email from my energy supplier, inviting me to install a smart meter. I've resisted until now, mainly due to the numerous reports of people having problems with the meters once they're installed. However, in view of the current economic climate and in an effort to try to save energy, I'm wondering if now would be a good time to bite the bullet. Do any of you have any views or experience in having a smart meter installed? Thanks in advance.

Airedale19 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:09:52

My eon smart meters worked for only about six months. I asked eon to repair or replace them. When they did not after several months of complaining, I took it up with ofgem. The upshot is that Eon will provide £60 in compensation. I still don’t know whether my meters will ever be replaced. Still, it was worth taking the matter further as I don’t like being fobbed off.

Aveline Tue 29-Nov-22 16:13:01

DDs smart meter was reading £2000+ per day last time I looked at it. They've told Scottish Power umpteen times but they don't change it. Needless to say they're not paying that amount.

Kim19 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:13:48

I'm still resisting. Not interested in a system that can have me moved to prepayment without consultation. Current meters are accessible and once a month readings don't trouble me (yet!).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:17:23

Like many things, these smart meters aren't quite what they're cracked up to be. I've had one quite a while, and long after getting a phone call to ask if it was all right it decided to stop displaying a reading. Pressing the symbols is to no avail. The data is still getting to HQ though, and it looks as though I must be satisfied with that. The only advantage is not having to read the meter oneself.

Customer services suggest switching it off and on again (which does nothing) or to place it nearer to the meter which is physically impossible - unless I knock a hole in the wall - it couldn't get any closer. I let it ride.

You need a strong mobile signal for it to work. Apparently, if you live in a period property with lots of lead pipes it won't work at all. Modern progress, eh?

NotSpaghetti Tue 29-Nov-22 16:37:53

My son has one, we do not.
He says once you have witnessed how much energy appliances etc get through you know what you ought to do. He says he doesn't actually do them all the time.
He doesn't have a tumble dryer though and doesn't use the oven for hours on end (as I do).
Is it really so useful?

Were there things you changed please that surprised you? I don't mean the tumble-dryer or oven...
Thanks.

Calendargirl Tue 29-Nov-22 17:21:16

Haven’t got one, don’t want one either.

My meters are easy to read, no problem doing it monthly and e
mailing it off.

If that changes, or I am forced to have one….so be it, but am quite happy as it is.

Opal Tue 29-Nov-22 17:47:27

Thanks for all your responses. I think on balance I will carry on without a smart meter, until all of the niggles are ironed out - there still seems to be a few issues for quite a few people. Taking meter readings is no problem for me - if it ain't broke, don't fix it grin

Esspee Tue 29-Nov-22 21:42:18

Calendargirl

Esspee

I, too, like to do my washing first thing to get it out on the line, (I have solar panels, no smart meter), but if you do it later, unless it’s a good ‘drying’ day, how do you get it dry?

My DIL always seems to be having her washer on late in the day, hangs it out, but to me it doesn’t have time to get dry, except on a ‘good’ day.

At this time of year I find the washing doesn't get completely dry regardless of how long it is out on the line. My small stuff is on a couple of those £1 multi peg thingies and I hang that in the greenhouse overnight and put it back out the next day if it isn't raining. If it is raining it joins the rest of the laundry hanging up in the box room where I put on a dehumidifier after it has partially dried outside.

Grantanow Wed 30-Nov-22 08:41:48

You don't need a smart meter to know an air fryer uses less electricity than an oven: just read the kilowatt power in the air fryer booklet. It's less. Not do you need one to make some obvious changed to save energy like changing lightbulbs or switching off items not in use.

karmalady Wed 30-Nov-22 08:57:18

grantanow. re KWH (units) it is not as simple as assuming that an oven or airfryer uses a steady x units for the whole duration. Same for tumbler dryer and in particular, washing machines, which are infinitely variable in energy usage for the duration. Depending, some machines, on weight of washing, ambient water temperature etc when energy usage is adapted by the machine. How much the oven is filled, large oven, small oven etc

I am half way through a 2 year fixed rate with octopus and my smart meter will allow me to be on cheapest adaptable rates from nov 2023 when my fixed rate finishes

I really was anti smart meter in previous years, not now

Elusivebutterfly Wed 30-Nov-22 09:07:14

I like not having to attempt to read the meter, which is always inaccessible and difficult to read. I coud not work out the gas meter at my last house and the last reading I sent here was wrong. They promised to send out a meter reader but they never did.
I had to wait for smart meters to be available here but am glad to have it.

Hetty58 Wed 30-Nov-22 09:17:47

Esspee:

'Hetty58 doesn’t seem to realise that cheaper tariffs for off peak use will only be available to those with smart meters'

- of you believe the blurb, that is. I think it will be a case of a little bit 'cheaper' - and far more expensive during peak hours - don't you think? Anyway, my solar panels will give me free power in the middle of the day (or top up the battery storage). I'm happy to wait and see what 'cheaper' actually means!

Hetty58 Wed 30-Nov-22 09:50:50

NotSpaghetti:

'Were there things you changed please that surprised you? I don't mean the tumble-dryer or oven...'

A dehumidifier (Ebac) with laundry drying setting - kept in a small laundry room, gets everything bone dry in a couple of hours - so, at this time of year it doesn't matter when the washing is done.

I don't leave the huge, power-hungry TV on so much and have three radios now - so I listen rather than watch. If/when I put the heating on, I use the kitchen timer to make sure I remember to turn down the thermostat after an hour.

I adjusted all the windows - and replaced some hinges - to make sure that they close tightly. Double glazing tends to get loose over the years.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Nov-22 09:51:47

lovebeigecardigans You can resync your smart meter quite easily by:
1. Unplugging the home display unit and switching it off (there's a small on/off button on the device - press and hold this until it is off)
2. Take the device near to your electricity meter
3. Switch the device back on by pressing and holding down the on/off button
4. The device should come back on and resync.

These were the instructions given to me by Eon.

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Nov-22 10:31:31

Thanks Hetty for your reply to my "what changes have you made that you wouldn't have thought of" question.

These are good ideas. I too have replaced some hinges/handles/locks to improve the "seal" of windows.
I still largely dry laundry outside in the winter (no dryer anyway) and have a tiny TV which is switched off. I expect my son and family leave theirs on standby!

Anyone else notice anything from their smart meter please that we can learn from?
Thanks.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:32:05

British Gas fitted a smart meter when they first came out but apparently it no longer works and our meter has to be read. I am told on my app that I am on their waiting list but there is a shortage of meters. Really annoying.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 01-Dec-22 09:44:35

Well, Sparklefizz that might be a good idea and I'll give it a go.

sarabande Thu 01-Dec-22 10:49:37

The smart meter does not save money in itself. It does give the energy company lots of info about your usage.

Milest0ne Thu 01-Dec-22 11:53:34

Has anyone got solar panels and a FIT meter? Is it compatible with a smart meter ? We live in a very old house with very thick walls and poor mobile and broadband reception. I am not convinced that a smart meter would work well here.
Any advice gratefully received.

knspol Thu 01-Dec-22 12:21:04

I use the electricity I need to use, I'm careful so having a meter to check usage would be a waste of time, I wouldn't look at it. My meter is inside so I don't even need to venture outside to send in a reading. I'm also put off by tales of difficulties if I want to change supplier to get a better deal not to mention someone being able to check what I use and when.

karmalady Thu 01-Dec-22 13:06:16

smets2 meters are compatible with any supplier. Smets1 were typically supplied by BG and for many years only supplied data to BG, hence never worked as a smart meter when sending data to other suppliers. I used to have a smets1, installed by BG in 2019. I changed supplier and no data ever recorded after that. Octopus changed my meter to smets2 and data is now exchanging seamlessly. It would also be seamless with any other suppier if I ever change

orly Thu 01-Dec-22 13:14:31

Hetty58

Esspee:

'Hetty58 doesn’t seem to realise that cheaper tariffs for off peak use will only be available to those with smart meters'

- of you believe the blurb, that is. I think it will be a case of a little bit 'cheaper' - and far more expensive during peak hours - don't you think? Anyway, my solar panels will give me free power in the middle of the day (or top up the battery storage). I'm happy to wait and see what 'cheaper' actually means!

.....and once road tax- free electric cars now have to pay road tax from next year (and so they should) but that was the big incentive to move to EVs

rosie1959 Thu 01-Dec-22 13:37:56

Had a smart meter for quite a while with no problems.
Not good for people of a nervous disposition just glanced at mine as have had to dry some washing so tumble dryer on for a hour or so has already hit £8.50 wouldn't normally hit that on a cold day with heating running cooking and washing

Tweedle24 Thu 01-Dec-22 13:47:00

I have had one for several years and have had no problems with it, nor nasty shocks when the bills come in.

I heard this morning that the scheme to charge less for off- peak electricity is to be extended, but only to those with smart meters. Apparently, we have to lookout for the email from our provider.

Coco51 Thu 01-Dec-22 14:07:30

Smart metres don’t ‘save’ energy. They just show how much energy is being used, and savings will only be achieved if usage is reduced. Helpful for automatic readings, but apparently not available on Economy 7, day and night time tariffs.
We do all our washing and dishwashing overnight. Some companies have increased direct debits on the basis of smart meter readings without prior notification - which is a breach of DD mandates, but you can always override the amount the provider takes if the amount is unreasonably high e.g not taking in to account less use in summer months, or that a debit balance will be rectified with the monthly payment due a couple of days later.