Gransnet forums

House and home

Returning Duvet cover set to Dunelm

(101 Posts)
Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:27:23

I ordered this online from Dunelm. I opened it today but the quality and colour are not what I had expected, so it needs to be returned. However when I was putting it back into its packaging I noticed a sticker on the back which said owing to hygiene reasons bedding cannot be exchanged or refunded!
This has never been an issue before and it is obvious from the creases that it hasn’t been slept on.
Has anyone else had a problem recently with returning bedding that was unsuitable?

Tizliz Tue 10-Jan-23 15:31:42

I thought you had 14 days to return anything bought on the internet. Can you pack it up as though you have not opened it?

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 15:32:10

We purchased duvet covers from Dunhelm in a shop recently, and it was made clear at cash point that we should check carefully as returns to possible. Probably due to Covid, etc- where they are made. Plus advice to wash before use.

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 15:35:46

From their website

Can you return a duvet?

Please NOTE: Duvets, Mattress Toppers, Pillows and Mattress Protectors cannot be returned if opened or used unless there is a manufacturing fault. This is due to hygiene reasons as they cannot be re-sold.

I would go to the shop and try there. Surely you would have noticed the colour was not right before opening sleeve?

nadateturbe Tue 10-Jan-23 15:42:39

Surely you would have noticed the colour was not right before opening sleeve?

I would still have opened, though, to have a look. Who would have thought they can't be returned? Clothing can still be returned.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:45:49

Even if you’re not able to return it I would still make a complaint about the quality and I would hope they would give you a credit note.

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 15:48:20

yes, you are right nadateturbe. One reason I prefer to buy in store, so you can have agood look and feel, as they have opened samples available.

nadateturbe Tue 10-Jan-23 15:55:04

True, Fleurpepper, feeling the material is important. Can't do that online.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:58:24

nadateturbe
That was exactly what I thought! What is the difference hygiene wise in returning clothes which have been tried on and returning bedding which has not?

Fleurpepper
It is not a duvet it is a duvet cover. The reason I opened it was to see what it looked like with the furniture and fittings in the bedroom. In its package only a small part of the pattern and colour was available because of the way it had been folded.

I shall not be buying any more duvet covers from Dunhelm.

Does anyone know if this is now standard practice in all companies or just Dunhelm?

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 16:01:32

As said, I would go to a Dunhelm shop and ask to speak to the Manager and sort something out.

Calendargirl Tue 10-Jan-23 16:22:35

Just looked at Dunelm site, it says refunds and exchanges cannot be made on bedding unless unopened and sealed in original packaging.

dragonfly46 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:24:39

No the last time I bought a duvet cover from Dunelm they made it clear that once it was opened I could not take it back.

Blondiescot Tue 10-Jan-23 16:32:55

That's ridiculous, really. As others have said, how is it any different from clothing which has been tried on by others?

Rosie51 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:32:57

Would the distance selling regulations help? Especially as you're not happy with the quality as well as the colour? You can't assess quality without unpackaging the product.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:37:30

Fleurpepper

I’ll have a go, though not very hopeful! Never mind, it was in a sale so at least I didn’t pay a lot for it. I think I’m more annoyed with myself for not checking their returns policy., but as I said before I’ve never had a problem returning duvet covers, but that was before the Pandemic.
Tizliz
There was a sticker sealing the packaging saying there were no refunds, but unfortunately I wasn’t wearing my glasses when I opened it !

FannyCornforth Tue 10-Jan-23 16:39:26

Just put it very carefully back in its packaging.
If you are really neat they won’t be able to tell

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 16:41:04

Well it is worth trying. Tell us how you get on.

FannyCornforth- if the sticker with the message was torn when opening, they will be able to tell.

Auntieflo Tue 10-Jan-23 16:41:22

I'm just generally fed up with Dunelm.
Tried ordering some extra pillow cases in the sale.
1 pair cannot be Click and Collect, the other pair cannot be delivered!
So emptied my basket and will do without.

Come on Dunelm, up your game and bring back customer service.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:43:01

Rosie51
Exactly! That’s worth a try
I know I am probably being cynical, but using the Pandemic as an excuse to change policies, prices and quality does seem to be used by a lot of companies to make themselves more profits!

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 16:43:18

I just love Dunhelm- but will always go to a shop and make sure what I am buying is exactly what I want.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:49:20

Auntieflo
Hear, hear.
Very disappointing regarding their online and store availability.
Lots of 50% off advertised but all out of stock.

midgey Tue 10-Jan-23 16:49:36

On the other hand, Dunelm will recycle pillows and duvets!

Bakingmad0203 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:52:07

Fleurpepper
I used to love mooching around Dunhelm, but unfortunately since we have moved it’s not quite as easy to get to a store which is why I have been buying online.

AGAA4 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:52:36

My DD had this problem with m and s. She opened the package and didn't like the quality of the cover.
They refused to take it back. How can you check the quality without opening the package?

Fleurpepper Tue 10-Jan-23 17:01:52

As said above, by going to the store and touching, feeling, the samples provided.