Gransnet forums

House and home

30 bags in 30 days decluttering method

(639 Posts)
Guesswhat Mon 23-Jan-23 22:14:03

Would anybody like to join me in this?

I’ve read about a method where you chuck out/donate one bag of clutter every day for 30 days. As an inveterate hoarder who wants to get on top of things at last, I’m going to go for it! (Only a carrier bag, mind. Not a big refuse sack.)

Tomorrow I’ll start with a bag of books to take to the charity shop. The day after, maybe some clothes. By recording my progress on here, I’m hoping to keep up the good work.

Wish me luck!

Guesswhat Fri 17-Mar-23 18:35:40

Thanks, Grammaretto.

Yammy, you’re right about the population increase regarding tea towels. I think I’ll sort through mine, keeping the pristine ones and using the shabby ones as floor cloths.

Doodledog Fri 17-Mar-23 19:07:15

I love grilled figs with blue cheese and honey drizzled over them.

My collection didn't happen, so I now have a bag of donations in the hallway. I'm going away tomorrow for a week, so I won't be adding to it, but it's annoying. I got the confirmation email too.

karmalady Sun 19-Mar-23 13:12:24

A very satisfying clearout today

flannel bedding set, got them from the linen cupboard and they were nice for only two seasons. Third season and they are stiff, coarse and bobbly. They are out

Stuff from the garage, rolls of shelf liners etc and that lead me to cleaning out some raised planters on legs. Finished, got their cloche tops down and away to the tip with them. I felt energetic and worked a solid 4 hours. Tired now but a whole boot full is a good result and I did not need to dither

I am seriously thinking of getting rid now of three very heavy emptied saltwash pots. They are dome shaped ie narrower at the top and yes they are nice but I no longer want the hassle of filling them nor watering them nor carrying them. I shall try and re-home them

Grammaretto Sun 19-Mar-23 16:07:40

Before the day is out I have promised myself I will fill my shopping trolley again
Old shoes? Do they go in the clothes bank?
Old sheets? Clothes bank too?

Talking of figs, I have a very large weeping fig which has wept her last tears. I have been watering it but no reaction.
It belonged to my mother so a good age.

karmalady Sun 19-Mar-23 18:10:23

I have three shopping trolleys, all rolsers. I think it is time to remove the first one, a glossy white and black print. I see that they have trebled in cost since I bought mine so a good time for it to go to a local charity shop. I shall fill it over time,then roll it down

Nice to have a proper aim. Reading a post about a lovely lively lady of 92 now wanting to go into a care home, that really resonated with me. I am enjoying being my age right now but 5 years can make one heck of a difference at the far end of a lifespan.

karmalady Sun 19-Mar-23 18:12:24

grammaretto, I saw a container at the recycling centre today, signposted for shoes. I think a salvation army bin takes shoes too

Grammaretto Sun 19-Mar-23 18:21:36

Thanks Karmalady
I haven't done it yet but the day isn't out yet grin

Guesswhat Mon 20-Mar-23 22:07:36

We’re coming up to the end of the fourth week of our “extension”. So, in two weeks and a day, our challenge will be completed.

In my case, I’ve achieved quite a lot. Not as much as I wanted to though - so, for me, I’ll keep plodding along for as long as it takes.

I managed to collect a small bag of clutter today when I tidied the contents of a cupboard. And tomorrow I’ll be choosing some more books to take to the charity shop.

Clothes, makeup, costume jewellery - still on my list to be done!

karmalady Tue 21-Mar-23 07:40:05

Guesswhat

We’re coming up to the end of the fourth week of our “extension”. So, in two weeks and a day, our challenge will be completed.

In my case, I’ve achieved quite a lot. Not as much as I wanted to though - so, for me, I’ll keep plodding along for as long as it takes.

I managed to collect a small bag of clutter today when I tidied the contents of a cupboard. And tomorrow I’ll be choosing some more books to take to the charity shop.

Clothes, makeup, costume jewellery - still on my list to be done!

In that case we do need a new de-cluttering thread as de-cluttering is an on-going journey and many of us can only manage the psychology and effort of a small amount at a time

Guesswhat Tue 21-Mar-23 08:58:43

Agreed, karmalady. I shall no doubt post any future victories on your new thread smile. I definitely need the motivation of recording any progress and reading of others’.

Callistemon21 Tue 21-Mar-23 10:51:40

DH has done his bit this morning to help declutter.

He was putting away a small Pyrex freezer dish at the back of the cupboard and somehow managed to knock several other dishes out of the cupboard. Two avourite stoneware baking dishes, one brand new Pyrex casserole dish broken, three others chipped! 😲
He is very remorseful.

MawtheMerrier Tue 21-Mar-23 11:40:32

I have three shopping trolleys, all rolsers. I think it is time to remove the first one, a glossy white and black print. I see that they have trebled in cost since I bought mine so a good time for it to go to a local charity shop. I shall fill it over time,then roll it down

THREE shopping trolleys????
Not sure what you mean by “rolsers” but why would anybody need or want 3?
I can see why decluttering might be on the cards!

karmalady Tue 21-Mar-23 12:18:29

maw, they were absolutely brilliant for moving house as well as shopping. They were collectable in 2007 and had a cult following. Good also for carting my wood carving stuff to a group session. One folds and is fairly small

Only the biggest heavier one is going

Maw have you never collected anything, just because? Own up

MawtheMerrier Tue 21-Mar-23 13:37:22

If I have to own up….cashmere , china, handbags and cookery books!
All totally essential of course.

Patsy70 Wed 22-Mar-23 20:44:46

Guesswhat. I haven’t given up, just having a lapse, but I still donate a few items to Barnardo’s, where I volunteer each week, also to our local hospice shop. Visited Hospice in the Weald, Otford, Kent today. Such a beautiful charity shop, with the Olive Tree Tearoom. We had coffee & lunch, then bought some lovely items from the shop. ♥️

Norah Thu 23-Mar-23 20:22:48

I'm back on declutter phase of getting ready for our daughter's wedding party. So much to do, so little time. smile

Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 23:22:49

When is it, Norah? Is there any chance of a (suitably anonymised) photo?

Norah Tue 28-Mar-23 16:18:54

Late Spring. We've sorted most of a menu, have glassware, linens, china, platters. Renting some garden furniture, we've a lot, need more.

Thinking meringue clouds with choices of fruits and creme, summer pud, nut torten, savouries, and biscuits. Prosecco and tea.

Norah Wed 29-Mar-23 19:36:42

This week we've made presentable hanging space for others to use when over (coats, shawls). Goodness, some spaces in this old house are a jumble.

Doodledog Wed 29-Mar-23 22:11:40

It all sounds perfect.

Guesswhat Mon 17-Apr-23 15:53:11

Hi, everyone. Our extended challenge finished about 3 weeks ago but only now I’m posting as Gransnet site keeps crashing on me, obliterating my messages before I can send them.

Anyway, I’m still plodding on with my decluttering. Sadly, I was nowhere near finishing when our deadline was reached. Mainly because of weekends away, illness and, let’s face it, sheer bone-idleness blush. House is a lot clearer now though.

My new front door and windows are being fitted today and tomorrow. I’m getting smart new venetian blinds. And the outside of the house will be painted soon.

So, I’m on a roll. Hope lots of you are seeing a difference too. I’m following karmalady’s decluttering thread to keep me on track so I don’t fall by the wayside any time soon smile.

Doodledog Mon 17-Apr-23 19:58:44

I am much better at this in the winter, as we go away a lot the rest if the year, and it 's hard enough keeping on top of washing and so on, but I've arranged another charity bag collection for 15 May, and my aim is to get rid of a lot of things then.

Your house will look lovely, Guesswahat 😀. And even more so because of being decluttered as well as refreshed.

Guesswhat Mon 17-Apr-23 22:04:40

Thanks, Doodledog. Hope so!

Aldom Mon 24-Apr-23 08:55:46

I was following Karmalady's decluttering thread, but can't find it now. Please can someone point me in the right direction? smile

Aldom Mon 24-Apr-23 20:03:26

I have now located the decluttering thread. smile