Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you have Dado rails.

(70 Posts)
bikergran Wed 25-Jan-23 17:14:16

I live in a 25 yr old house new build.

The stairs are in my lounge (it's a buggar to heat as heat goes upstairs)

Anyway I am thinking about decorating in the very near future, I always have to do the lounge and stairs together.

I was thinking of putting up a dado rail up the stairs and along the small landing, with some nice paper on the bottom and painted plain above.

Are dado rails out of fashion, At the moment my
house is just plain emulsion magnolia. I don't really go with fashion trends. Are dados really so old fashioned. hmm

bikergran Thu 26-Jan-23 16:03:05

Some lovely ideas. (my brain is ticking over) thanks for all the interest.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 15:54:17

Ziplok - I think it depends on the profile.

But of course shape determines hoe chunky we "read" it visually.
My dado rail in the hall looks huge but I've just measured it and it's actually only ¾" - but to my surprise the skirting board, which looks slimmer is much fatter - 1½".
I suppose the skirting board looks slimmer as it's very tall and has lots of curves!

Ziplok Thu 26-Jan-23 14:05:35

I’ve had a close look at how far the dado rail sticks out in relation to the skirting board, and it doesn’t protrude any further out, so if you have a skirting board, then book cases etc, will still sit a little away from rather than flush to the wall, whether or not you have a dado rail.

eazybee Thu 26-Jan-23 13:39:01

Put a wallpaper strip along the wall, then you can remove it if you don't like it.
We once lived in an old-ish house that had Lincrusta paper on the bottom half of the wall, painted in gloss paint. To have it removed would have meant re-plastering the whole of the hall, landing and stairs, much too costly then.

Doodledog Thu 26-Jan-23 13:35:45

Thoro

Do you mean those dust collectors half way up the wall! Yes I’ve got them in our 80’s built house.
They do collect dust (especially behind doors you forget to look behind)
They also mean that you can’t have bookcases etc flush against the wall.

Who has bookcases (or doors, for that matter) on the stairs? grin

Jaylou Thu 26-Jan-23 13:35:35

I have just put up a dado rail in my hall, I didn't want walls all one colour top to bottom, although I say it myself it looks really good.
I also work p/t at a large diy store, dado sales are on the increase, so you are not alone.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 13:32:51

Even more.

Lots of contemporary ideas out there if you look.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 13:29:47

And yet more

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 13:29:22

Here are more images. Easily found online...

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 13:28:26

I think it's your home, your choice.
Lots of inspiration online. Dado rails were "in" recently anyway so don't be put off by those people saying it was all 80s.
Here's a before and after picture:

ParlorGames Thu 26-Jan-23 13:23:20

Your choice but personally I think they are just another surface to gather dust.

MerylStreep Thu 26-Jan-23 13:21:25

Henetha
I think the pictures would have hung from the picture rail.

AreWeThereYet Thu 26-Jan-23 13:13:38

Agree with Thoro about the taller bookcases and cupboards though, either they have to be built in around the dado, the dado altered or they are two or three inches away from the wall.

AreWeThereYet Thu 26-Jan-23 13:02:33

We have dado rails in lounge, dining room and hall (1980s house) and moulding underneath. I quite like the moulding, adds a bit of texture and interest but still easy to paint.

I don't much care about trends - some people are restoring old features and some still taking them out.

annsixty Thu 26-Jan-23 11:36:11

I have dado rails in my large living room.
No intention of getting rid of them.
I like them and it’s my house, my choice.

IrishDancing Thu 26-Jan-23 10:49:59

Have what you want Bikergran, it’s your home. We had all sorts of “ period features” in our 200 year old previous house and nothing at all (there aren’t any unless you count ranch style staircase which we removed for a more “traditional” one) in our 1970s present house. All of our furniture suited the old but we’ve kept most in this house as it’s quite spacious. We have what we like and so should you! Good luck!

timetogo2016 Thu 26-Jan-23 10:47:17

We have dado rails in the hall,on the stairs and in the lounge.
We can then change the decor by painting the bottom part of the walls as and when we feel it needs a bit of a facelift .

henetha Thu 26-Jan-23 10:46:59

I grew up in a house with dado rails in most rooms. And strange
panelling on the walls. Everything was brown and cream.
It was all very gloomy. I think we hung paintings from some dado rails. Paintings of highland cattle in dark and dull scenery. These are early memories.

VB000 Thu 26-Jan-23 10:38:52

Go for it, as others have said, have whatever you like in your own home!

We live in a 70s house and someone had added a dark wood dado rail up the stairs. Since then, someone has added a handy rail up the stairs, so it doesn't really look right.

The hall/stairwell needs decorating, but to get rid of the dado rail would mean a lot more work, so we may have to just live with it... but if it was part of the living room, that would be different!

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Jan-23 10:04:59

We don’t follow trends at all, but I’m always pleased to hear that we’ve hit one! I guess it’s time to give the wood panelling in the hall a lick of paint. smile

bikergran Thu 26-Jan-23 09:46:41

Doodledog that does look quite nice and modern. Yes had a look on Pinterest, some interesting ideas.

V3ra you took the words right out of my mouth (as Meatloaf said)

I have sat here all Winter thinking about boxing the stairs ( I can do it myself) trouble is it would make my lounge look a bit odd, but if I am staying here (been here 24 yrs )then there is a real possibility that I may seriously think about doing that.

Appreciate all your ideas.

NotAGran55 Thu 26-Jan-23 07:01:01

We had dado rails in our old house, back in the Laura Ashley days of tie-backs and fabric pelmets.

They wouldn’t suit our current house or styling, but if they did I wouldn’t hesitate in having them.

Have what you like and don’t worry about fashion or what other people think.

grandMattie Thu 26-Jan-23 06:41:36

I do, in the hall and up the stairs. Love it. There is a picture rail too, the rails are also in the bedrooms.
We have painted the bottom third in mid-green, the middle third light green and the top bit/ceiling in white. People always comment how fresh and pretty it looks.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 06:17:21

I love Lincrusta.
I’d have it pretty much everywhere in my dream house (note to self - buy a Euromillions ticket)

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 06:14:43

kittylester

I'm with J52, if you want them, have them. We put them in the hall of our house which is a converted Victoria's school.

And very nice they look too!

I’ve got them going up the stairs and on the ‘landing’ (is that what it’s called?)
I think they look good up stairs as you have such a large expanse of wall going upwards.
I firmly don’t believe in what’s in fashion / what’s not in fashion.
My mom used to say, ‘if it’s not in fashion, it won’t go out of fashion’.
Stick with your own style and preferences