Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving from house to flat

(77 Posts)
AJgranma Mon 13-Feb-23 16:20:30

Am 74 & thinking about moving to a city apartment. Thinking - no stairs/garden/lively interesting surroundings. Messaged grown up children/grandchildren about this & had no response. I feel they disapprove - and am hurt, wanted to discuss it but can’t force it on them. I’m not entirely confident about it anyway. What to do?

karmalady Sat 27-May-23 12:28:15

Tricoteuse

Be careful of new builds, leasehold properties that levy ever increasing ground rent and service charges.

why do you say to be careful of new builds? I am in a new build and it is absolutely perfect, a beautiful home , maintenance free, 2 years for snagging plus another 8 years with nhbc. It is warm, cosy and very well insulated, so it is quiet and peaceful with beautiful large windows,my 4 bed detached house has wide enough stairs in case of ever needing a stairlift. Plus it has a downstairs cloakroom as have all new builds

Obviously service charges are important, best to try and get a flat in a self-managed block. In that case less to pay as no third party profits to be included. Important however to be willing to do your bit as the work of managing the paperwork etc has to be done by the residents