Gransnet forums

House and home

Never putting laundry away

(112 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 15-Feb-23 02:25:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 15-Feb-23 10:11:39

Daughter and younger son don’t iron anything. They don’t even have irons. Elder son(ex Royal Marines) irons everything. I just iron outer wear - not bed linen etc not underwear. OH irons his own stuff.

Fleurpepper Wed 15-Feb-23 10:28:25

Ah bed linen - so wonderful getting into a bed with good quality ironed sheets. So worth the effort.

GagaJo Wed 15-Feb-23 10:32:45

I do my Dd's laundry to ensure the washing is only done when it can be dried outside (she drapes it all over the house to dry otherwise, adding to the damp problem).

She never puts it away and it at times gets mixed up with her dirty laundry and clothes that haven't been worn end up in the laundry basket again. It drives me crazy.

GagaJo Wed 15-Feb-23 10:33:52

I never iron either. If you hang carefully on the line and fold, 99% of laundry doesn't need it.

rosie1959 Wed 15-Feb-23 10:40:27

GagaJo

I never iron either. If you hang carefully on the line and fold, 99% of laundry doesn't need it.

Still trying to perfect this one I hang very carefully gently stretching each item out to shape. Items are then put on hangers until I am ready to iron but to get that just pressed effect they still need a quick whip over with the iron.
My Jersey dresses are the best for no ironing but Linen not a hope however you hang it

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Feb-23 10:45:31

kittylester

I'm not sure that clothes are ironed nowadays!

DH insists on laundry being ironed but he does do it!

Does no-one put clothes in an airing cupboard?
I couldn't put clothes away in a drawer after steam ironing, they need to be aired.
Am I just old-fashioned?

MawtheMerrier Wed 15-Feb-23 10:58:45

When the children lived at home - 3 sets of school uniform - and Paw had 5 smart office shirts a week, my ironing basket was a bit like a compost heap - when it threatened to topple over I would turn it upside down and retrieve things from the bottom!
But the impression I get is that younger people tend to iron as and when they need things, if at all.

Theexwife Wed 15-Feb-23 11:13:03

People live differently, there is no right or wrong when it comes to tidiness.

I would have been very annoyed if my mother or mother-in-law interfered, with folding and ironing clothes in my house.

TerriBull Wed 15-Feb-23 11:29:27

I use the smallest bedroom as a laundry room which doubles up as my grandson's room when he is here.

Husband and I both iron our respective clothes and I generally do the bed linen as well, I probably have an ironing session once or twice a week and I put it all away then, but I do smaller sorting sessions with socks and underwear as and when they are washed and dry, although it has to be said there is always one basket of odds and sods that never gets fully cleared. I do remember one of my sons and partner seemed to make heavy weather of sorting their laundry and putting it away, a veritable Mount Everest of it on one of the beds never appeared to diminish much.

Shelflife Wed 15-Feb-23 11:30:54

I always wash , dry and iron what needs ironing then put clothes away asap. My daughter on the other hand has clothes all over the place! Clothes waiting to be washed, clothes dry but left on every available table or work surface. I fail to understand why she can't wash , dry , iron then put away. It drives me mad . When children need something clean there is a mad scramble to locate the necessary garment!! I keep quiet of course !!!

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Feb-23 11:44:11

MawtheMerrier

When the children lived at home - 3 sets of school uniform - and Paw had 5 smart office shirts a week, my ironing basket was a bit like a compost heap - when it threatened to topple over I would turn it upside down and retrieve things from the bottom!
But the impression I get is that younger people tend to iron as and when they need things, if at all.

I'd set up the ironing board in the sitting room in the evenings and iron as I tried to watch telly.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Feb-23 11:46:15

I'm off - there's a pile of clean jumpers on the kitchen table which I must put away 😁👘👚👕🧥👖

Norah Wed 15-Feb-23 12:05:05

Daily wash, dry, fold, put away. If it needs ironing (nothing much does) iron as needed. Church shirts are ironed at the morning.

Shirts are hung from dryer buzzer, less wrinkles.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 15-Feb-23 13:02:15

Ooh I love ironing, and I love ironed clothes...
I would never do anything without permission, but I am happy to do other peoples if I am staying- it's often very popular with my hosts.
My son is the ironing person in his household and that makes me proud - no gender stereotypes in that house!

Oreo Wed 15-Feb-23 13:55:26

Have never come across this, OP in anybody’s house.Why on earth do they do it? Why would anyone want laundry piled on the sofa?Have you asked them?

Hopikins Wed 15-Feb-23 14:49:36

I am amazed how many people get away without ironing their clothes. The only things I do not iron are sheets(Tumbled Dried) Underwear ditto and towels. No wonder so many people look like unmade beds when they go out. My ironing has to be done and put away, I do not mind doing it nowadays as I put ghost stories on my PC and iron away.

Sara1954 Wed 15-Feb-23 14:56:57

I had a friend who lived like this.
When after the winter the children went back into summer dresses, her daughters dress was still in a pile in the laundry from the summer before.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Feb-23 15:10:40

I must admit I hang my washing on clothes horses in the spare room as they await ironing, especially during winter, and are often still there when the next wash day arrives. I've just done some ironing and have thrown the items which don't need ironing on the bed in order to fold and put away.

The spare room is obviously an unholy mess but at least it is out of sight of visitors.

TillyTrotter Wed 15-Feb-23 15:22:55

I do washing little and often and use the airing cupboard.

There is a bar to hang everything on hangers from, and it will dry (from the spin dryer) overnight. Or if laundry has dried on the line outside I hang things in the airing cupboard .. to air 😀

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Feb-23 15:27:28

You don't watch the right programmes Oreo! 😁

Nick Knowles - Big House Clearout
Stacey Solomon - Sort Your Life Out

It's quite horrifying surprising how full of clutter some houses are.

I did put the laundry away, in the airing cupboard en route to drawers and wardrobes.

Don't look at ours btw, I am in the process of decluttering cupboards and there are bags of stuff in bedrooms.

Floradora9 Wed 15-Feb-23 16:57:32

Palmtree

I wash one load a day. The next day I iron it and put everything away into the wardrobe straightaway. I can always find clean ironed clothes. None of this takes much time to do as it"s only one load at a time. I've always done this even when I had a large family living at home. I just found it much simpler to be organised. I notice though that my adult children don't follow my example. They don't iron unless absolutely necessary just before they go out and always seem to have piles of clothes lying about.too They lead very busy lives but then so did I once. Maybe its a generational thing.

My mother would have had a fit if I had not properly aired the ironing before putting it way . She could not understand people who did this .

Yammy Wed 15-Feb-23 17:59:14

I stagger my washing but it is stored in the laundry basket until I do it. Usually once through the week and then on Monday. I try to get it dry the same day, iron it if needed and put it away. I no longer iron bedding underwear or tea towels.
I always remember as a young teenager going to a friend's house and something slipped out from under the setee cushion it was her mum's suspender belt with the stockings still attached. There were piles of clothes everywhere. Yet her mum looked more smartly dressed than mine. Who did the ironing? I suspect the father who had been in the forces. My father was better than my mum with forces training.

Sara1954 Wed 15-Feb-23 19:07:33

My daughter and her children lived with us, I suppose I was a bit bossy, told her the children’s clothes all needed ironing and she couldn’t send them out looking like rag bags, but she would just pile it up till they ran out of clothes, then spend her entire day off ironing, and if something more interesting came along, she would put it off for another week.

Oreo Wed 15-Feb-23 20:21:26

Callistemon21

You don't watch the right programmes Oreo! 😁

Nick Knowles - Big House Clearout
Stacey Solomon - Sort Your Life Out

It's quite horrifying surprising how full of clutter some houses are.

I did put the laundry away, in the airing cupboard en route to drawers and wardrobes.

Don't look at ours btw, I am in the process of decluttering cupboards and there are bags of stuff in bedrooms.

Or, maybe I am watching the right programmes😆since I haven’t watched the two you mention.
It seems weird to me, leaving piles of clean clothes, folded or not on the sofa, not exactly hard to walk upstairs with it after all is it, and put it away in drawers and cupboards.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Feb-23 22:17:01

I'd never dump it on the sofa (the kitchen table, perhaps 😁)