Gransnet forums

House and home

Never putting laundry away

(112 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 15-Feb-23 02:25:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biglouis Sat 18-Feb-23 10:23:22

The only time I iron anything is when Im doing patchwork.

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

Dickens Sat 18-Feb-23 10:37:55

Ludwig Van Beethoven was, apparently, an individual who didn't bother overly with personal hygiene and used to just dump his clothes on the floor, where he would pick them up again the next day.
It is alleged that some of his friends were concerned about him walking around in dirty crumpled clothes but didn't want to (or maybe didn't dare) offend him by offering to clean them... so they sometimes went into his rooms, took his dirty clothes off the floor - had them washed - and then returned them and dumped them back on the floor.
It's not known if he was any the wiser. grin

HousePlantQueen Sat 18-Feb-23 10:59:18

Dirty laundry is in the laundry basket in our en-suite, when the lid starts to lift, I put a load in the machine. At this time of year, I tumble dry for a little while then put on the airer in the utility room where it dries over night, then next morning is folded and out away. Very little needs ironing apart from some pure Egyptian cotton pillow cases and a few of sweaters and such, these get put into thee ironing basket in the utility room until there is enough to merit getting the ironing board out. Very different from the days of school shirts and work shirts! My DS and DiL have piles of clothes, but in their bedroom, frankly it would drive me bonkers spending time every morning looking for clothes to wear, trying to find matching socks, but not my problem. I love my utility room, a place for laundry in all stages, and all tucked out of sight.

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:59:59

One of my DS and his partner with 3 littl ones do same, everything chucked unpressed/unfolds on couch or let in basket. Washing left in a mumungous pile in corner of their room upstairs so high it rendered their 4doored wardrobes down to 2!! I also would told up washing when I was there child watching, she'd say how quick and efficient I was, then it would be just as bead 48hours later, she didn't work, he did he also had to do shopping cleaning cooking, serious issue with that dynamic

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:01:51

biglouis

The only time I iron anything is when Im doing patchwork.

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

That's such an untrue get out clause for those who live in abject filth and disorder don't ya fink?

HousePlantQueen Sat 18-Feb-23 13:12:21

I don't keep an immaculate home, neither am I dull.

It is not about being obsessive about housework, or laundry as is the case on this thread, it is about recognising that 10 minutes of folding clean laundry and putting it in the right bedrooms saves hours of looking for stuff that is wearable during the next week. My children went to school with 3 from a family who always looked as if they had dressed from a jumble sale, or picked up something that had lain crumpled and grubby on the floor since they last wore it. When I went to the house for coffee one day after school, I could see why; there was just piles of stuff everywhere, dirty PE kit mixed in with what appeared to be clean but crumpled clothing. Not a poverty issue, a big house, plenty of income from two professional salaries. I often wondered why they didn't just get a cleaner or home help in a couple of times a week, it would surely have saved an awful lot of time, and embarassment for the children who never had the right PE kit or clean school uniform. Expensive clothing too. As for the inside of the fridge when she opened it to get the milk out............

AreWeThereYet Sat 18-Feb-23 13:45:07

^ so they sometimes went into his rooms, took his dirty clothes off the floor - had them washed - and then returned them and dumped them back on the floor.^

We did that for FiL when he had vascular dementia and stopped changing his clothes and bathing. His cupboards were full of new clothes but he wouldn't change out of his old ones. We used to take away his old ones when he wasn't around and put new (but the same colours) ones in their place. He lost so much weight his old ones were falling off so his new ones were all smaller sizes.

Merryweather Sat 18-Feb-23 16:07:15

Good God. The idea of washing everywhere makes my teeth hurt!
I'm 42, disabled with three children. Youngest is almost three. Eldest is 12. So, masses of school uniform (all 3 as youngest in pre-school with uniform)
I have to wash daily ad there are five of us with towels and bedding plus clothing etc mist days two lots. The washer is always full!
Nothing is left in piles around the house. It's washed, and dried outside or on a rack, on hangers where possible. Then all uniforms and shirts, trousers, skirts etc ironed shirts are stretched with spray starch. Most people I know don't iron but tumble dry and it's ready to wear- Howis this possible?
We don't have an airing cupboard. If I did. It would be a bedroom given the tiny size of our house

singingnutty Sat 18-Feb-23 16:44:52

I can tell the same tale as the OP. DS2 and family moved house last year and they now have a bigger spare room in which to keep the heaps of clean laundry - it's all unfolded, crumpled and rarely sorted into piles for each person, let alone put away in wardrobes, cupboards or drawers. Before youngest GC went to school we used to go one day a week to look after him. My job was to hang washing out and/or take it in and fold the accumulated 7 days worth of clean clothes and put them into piles for each family member. They then did actually get put into the appropriate bedrooms (although probably not put into drawers etc.) Now we just go one day to pick the GC up from school at the end of the day. Hence the spare bedroom situation. One of the reasons for the number of unsorted clothes piles is that I think they get a lot of clothes for the children handed down from other family members, so they actually always have more than they need. We were not in that situation when ours were the same age. Both parents work full-time so I suppose there is just a lack of time to keep up with the laundry, but I also suspect that they all have a complete set of clean clothes every day, which makes a lot of washing.

bikergran Sat 18-Feb-23 17:46:41

My Iron has cobwebs on it! [Hmm]

DollyD Sat 18-Feb-23 18:04:28

What a relief! I thought it was just my Dd who has the most enormous pile of clean clothes in her utility room.
At least she folds but the pile of towels on the worktop can sometimes reach a meter high.
Also, luckily I’ve never seen piles of clothes in her living room, so she’s not as bad as I thought.
She does work full time though and has two dogs and a horse to deal with before and after work and cooks lovely healthy meals from scratch every day, so the clean clothes pile is certainly not through laziness.