Gransnet forums

House and home

In praise of VINEGAR

(78 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Feb-23 11:24:25

I know I am preaching to the converted, but isn’t vinegar amazing?
Ever since I was very small - over 65 years ago my Mum used to rinse my hair after washing with a little vinegar to make it shiny - no fancy products in those days.
I have a refilled spray bottle of dilute vinegar for cleaning kitchen surfaces and it has proved amazing at removing burnt on bits from the bottom of my enamelled Le Creuset casseroles!
Unwilling to attack the inside of one this morning with anything too harsh, I have just boiled up an inch or two of vinegar then wiped the inside with a washing up brush and it’s as good as new.
I use the cheapest white vinegar and swear by it.
Any more suggestions?

MeowWow Sat 18-Feb-23 11:28:43

De-scaling a kettle, cleaning windows, washing floors. It cleans just about everything.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Feb-23 11:32:53

OMG Maw I cannot bear the smell of it. Himself uses white vinegar in the kettle in Spain because the hard water out there coats the element. 😱

We shared tapas with friends once and when a plate of chips was brought to the table, the wife liberally sprinkled vinegar all over them - assuming wrongly that we all liked it. No chips for me then that day ha!

Vinegar is meant to have amazing properties though so this thread will be interesting to read I expect. I think I read that some folk drink a small amount of wine vinegar (?) a day. Yuk.

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Feb-23 11:33:08

Yep, I use it all the time. My original window cleaning spray has been refilled 100s of time with a mix of cooled boiled water and vinegar, 50x50. Wonderful. Same as the one for the bathroom. Use it on sink, kettle, endless ... magical.

I use it on weeds on tarmac and paved areas away from other plants, on a very hot day- burns them out very quickly and do not re-appear.

Put some in dishwasher on regular basis- leave for about 1' mins before putting it on. Same for washing machine, coffee machine, etc.

Norah Sat 18-Feb-23 11:37:01

Windows. Rinse for wood floors.

Laundry rinse for garden work clothing.

Volcano fun with GC - over and over and over.

Salad sauce with Stilton, which as vegans we don't eat any longer.

Pittcity Sat 18-Feb-23 11:42:03

White vinegar has been hard to find in the supermarkets here recently. I expect everyone's using it for cleaning etc.

I have a spray bottle with diluted washing up liquid and vinegar. It's a brilliant multipurpose cleaner with no vinegar smell.
It's also a descaler and weedkiller here. Salt and vinegar on your dandelions and they're gone in no time!!!

Kalu Sat 18-Feb-23 11:44:06

I don’t use fabric softeners but put vinegar in that compartment which removes any soapy residue and washing feels softer. No vinegar smell.
Washing windows or hand washing glass
I also have some in a spray bottle to clean surfaces
Vinegar mixed with olive oil was a great tanning lotion in my teenage years when no sun factor was thought of. Vinegar stops the skin from burning and straight vinegar applied to sunburn stops burning extremely well
Soda bic and vinegar mixed on wooden chopping boards for a deep clean.

Good tip about cleaning Le Creuset Maw. 👍

Forsythia Sat 18-Feb-23 11:45:11

Can I ask, brown or white? Does it matter?

Calendargirl Sat 18-Feb-23 12:30:33

Soda crystals with a squirt of vinegar down plug holes, then boiling water.

The soda has gone up in price, and often unavoidable though.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Feb-23 12:31:10

Unavailable, not unavoidable!

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:34:05

What an interesting thread; some really good tips here. My mum used to do that when she washed my hair Maw and your OP reminded mesmile.

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:34:28

I think I read that some folk drink a small amount of wine vinegar (?) a day. Yuk

I think it's cider vinegar, Urmstongran, it's supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties.
I do prefer xpcider vinegar on chips.

My mother used ordinary brown vinegar for cleaning windows, they were always sparkling.
DD put squeezed lemon halves into white vinegar and uses that for cleaning.

I'll make a note about using it on weeds.

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:35:55

xpcider vinegar
cider vinegar.
Fat finger, not extra special cider vinegar in case anyone was wondering.

Ladyinspain Sat 18-Feb-23 12:45:28

I looked on Amazon for descaling tablets for my coffee machine and kettle, but then a friend told me to mix half cup of water with half cup white vinegar, and pour in--well the results were happening almost immediately, and an hour later job done, and so much cheaper! Lidl have Cleaning Vinegar in the bleach/disinfectant area--very cheap. I am a convert-at 72!

Hetty58 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:45:58

I buy the five litre white vinegar - and use it for everything, hot for limescale removal, diluted for floors, instead of fabric conditioner etc. It's just brilliant stuff with no toxic chemicals!

Pavane Sat 18-Feb-23 12:50:43

Kills soap suds re rinsing

Kills odors..put in wide shallow container and place in corners of rooms, pet odors, musty

Use it when re-using containers to kill odor and stain

I keep a squirt bottle by my sink and use it daily

I also had the vinegar rinse as a child and still use it

When mopping the floor I use it in the rinse water

Grandmabatty Sat 18-Feb-23 13:23:35

Cider vinegar with a little fairy liquid gets rid of fruit flies. I used to use it on my hair many decades ago. Good thread with lots of suggestions

J52 Sat 18-Feb-23 13:30:24

Brilliant stuff, I use white vinegar for cleaning all the time.
DS moved into a house with a beautiful natural stone hearth that was covered in soot and candle grease, white vinegar and a little elbow grease restored it beautifully.
One part white vinegar to 5 parts water removes coffee and tea stains from carpets.

J52 Sat 18-Feb-23 13:33:05

Just another tip, different, if you have a build up of limescale around a tap, rub it with a copper coin. The scale soon dissolves away.

AreWeThereYet Sat 18-Feb-23 13:40:10

I use white vinegar for cleaning too - we have very hard water and it cleans the kettle and taps, the shower screen, windows, pretty much everything except some natural stone and marble (which we don't have anyway). I use it as a rinse in the washing machine and diluted as a rinse on my hair too.

Oreo Sat 18-Feb-23 13:45:54

J52

Brilliant stuff, I use white vinegar for cleaning all the time.
DS moved into a house with a beautiful natural stone hearth that was covered in soot and candle grease, white vinegar and a little elbow grease restored it beautifully.
One part white vinegar to 5 parts water removes coffee and tea stains from carpets.

Ta for these tips am going to try them.😃

JaneJudge Sat 18-Feb-23 13:47:03

My husband loves it when I cut cucumber and onion up in a glass bowl swimming with malt vinegar. You would think it was the food of the Gods grin

JaneJudge Sat 18-Feb-23 13:48:34

and if you add a bit of white vinegar to a pan before adding eggs to poach, it keeps their colour/shape better for some reason

dogsmother Sat 18-Feb-23 16:21:38

Use it for washing towels, just white vinegar. Beautiful clean soft towels. Helps keep machine clean. There is no smell.

J52 Sat 18-Feb-23 16:38:07

JaneJudge

My husband loves it when I cut cucumber and onion up in a glass bowl swimming with malt vinegar. You would think it was the food of the Gods grin

My Grandmother used to do this dish. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. She also did a dish of grated carrots in vinegar.
All to go with salad and cold meat.
She was from Northumberland.